AT&T Push of Windows 10 to L830

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
With the announcement that the L830 is at EOL and at&t's unwillingness to push out the Full Denim upgrade, who thinks that at&t will provide the Windows 10 upgrade for this phone?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
hard to tell.... My 920 has been EOL forever and has the latest crap from AT&T which is on par with the rest of the world. The 1520 has been EOL for a while and got Denim not long ago. So the answer is..... No freaking clue. depends on the mood of the person who handles it the morning the data gets sent to AT&T from microsoft.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
My 830 is literally hitting the bricks as soon as the new flagships come out.

The 830, and AT&Ts support of it, have been a huge disappointment.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
RumoredNow, I can appreciate what you are saying but I shouldn't have to turn my phone into a different version of that phone just to get proper updates and support.

And with the rumor that the 950XL won't be available through at&t, I'm beginning to have doubts about staying with Windows phones at all. I don't want to do that but I feel like I'm being pushed in that direction. Phones are way too expensive anymore to buy unlocked, unbranded.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
RumoredNow, I can appreciate what you are saying but I shouldn't have to turn my phone into a different version of that phone just to get proper updates and support.

And with the rumor that the 950XL won't be available through at&t, I'm beginning to have doubts about staying with Windows phones at all. I don't want to do that but I feel like I'm being pushed in that direction. Phones are way too expensive anymore to buy unlocked, unbranded.

Well, service providers shouldn't be able to block updates anyway. (see the Android update/security issue)

And you know, VZW and T-Mo ditched the subsidy so I'm thinking the situation may change, since the price not being upfront doesn't necessarily mean there's no price at all.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
And you know, VZW and T-Mo ditched the subsidy so I'm thinking the situation may change, since the price not being upfront doesn't necessarily mean there's no price at all.

considering i'm on an enterprise account with an awesome discount on plans that no longer exist, I'd rather AT&T not dump subsidies...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I guess nobody clicked the link... It goes to a joke I have inside that thread... But the joke applies here in this thread as well.

US Carriers have always controlled if you will get an update, except for iOS which strong armed an exception.

No. You should not have to put up with that. But it is the precedent we are all working under. I currently have 2 Factory Unlocked phones so I believe 100% both of my phones will leap to 10.

My understanding of the future is that Microsoft is working hard to make as many things as possible App dependent. Carrier's can only block/approve the core OS. Microsoft wants 10 to be set as the last core OS needed and they will then update their Apps. Carriers don't get a say on App updates. But you have got to get to 10. Who doesn't want you to get to 10? Hmmm... Who sells most of the new phones? Who would benefit if you had to buy a new phone to get to 10?

If you leave WP over this, get an iPhone or get a Nexus. That flagship Android you might be looking at only gets one update if any... Hmmm... Who sells most of the new phones? Who would benefit if you had to buy a new phone to get to the next Android release?

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, service providers shouldn't be able to block updates anyway. (see the Android update/security issue)

I agree that carriers shouldn't be allowed to block updates but they are and the L830 seems to be taking a big hit from AT&T. I don't know much about buying unlocked, unbranded phones but they do seem to be pretty expensive. I'm not against paying for quality and I know that smartphone technology is evolving, but it's a hard pill to swallow when you have to pay $600+ for a phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tax refund time is a great time to buy new tech...

Or wait a season or two. My 1520.3 was only $485.95 BNIB in August of 2014. Lumia 830 was just out and was only $50 less for a whole lot less hardware.

Or bargain shop. My refurbed 830 RM-983 was embarrassingly low cost early this year.

Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree that carriers shouldn't be allowed to block updates but they are and the L830 seems to be taking a big hit from AT&T.

OS wise, i could understand why AT&T would sit on things, but firmware should be pushed regardless by the manufacturer. GSM has been around a LOOOOOOOONG and I am sure most cell manufacturers have that almost mastered or release secondary update that updates cellular drivers after provider approval. Other things like Bluetooth, and Bluetooth, and maybe Bluetooth where an updated stack could fix hands free calling issues should be allowed.... unless AT&T wants me to break the law and TXT while driving.

ugh, it hurts my brain when I make more sense than a multi-billion dollar company :(

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i don't know about poorly built, as i only had it a month, but like the build/feel so far.

overpriced at msrp? yes.

underpowered? compared to a 930 or 1520, sure. compared to the 920 i came from, it's very similar to me.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
i don't know about poorly built, as i only had it a month, but like the build/feel so far.

overpriced at msrp? yes.

underpowered? compared to a 930 or 1520, sure. compared to the 920 i came from, it's very similar to me.

Well, I'm on my 4th 830 because of capacitive button issues and it's still not perfect - but on some of those phones the buttons would stop working completely. I also don't like how the screen flexes when pursuing it.

sbtpdx

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
OS wise, i could understand why AT&T would sit on things, but firmware should be pushed regardless by the manufacturer.

Perhaps, but according to the MS FAQ website "Will Windows 10 update be available for my Lumia phone?" the outlook for those of us stuck with the AT&T variant looks pretty bleak:

"Only phones running Lumia Denim (OS version 8.10.14219.341, or higher) can take advantage of the upgrade to Windows 10."

Sorry- I don't have enough posts to provide the link, but you should be able to find the article by searching for the above title.

If the recent reports are accurate that AT&T is abandoning the 830 and will never release/support/allow the update of our OS to full Denim, it seems clear we will not be able to leapfrog up to Windows 10.

My 830 has been remarkably stable and does not suffer from most of the issues others have reported. But I purchased it last fall with the clear expectation that it would promptly receive the promised Lumia Camera update. I should have known better... never trust a sales person unless you get the promise in writing.

Grr....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12