Bye Bye 930 and Note 3

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

Some of you may know that I was quite involved with custom android ROMs. I decided, I have no idea why, to try WP. To my utter amazement, I LOVED IT!!

I started out with a 930, which was nice, but a bit of a brick if I'm honest, plus a lack of 'correctly' fitting screen protectors, meant I was never really happy with it.

Anyway, I bought a 640 for the wife, and realised that it was the phone I liked. Odd, I know, but hey, we are all different. I asked the guy when the XL was due, being an old codger, the larger screen would be nice!! He wasn't sure but he would call me. I get a call yesterday saying they were available and could I pop by. I arrived within 20 mins!! Anyways I now own an XL!! It was one they demonstrated so I got it for ?100!! Around ?80 less than retail!!!

Do I like it? Hell yeah! Same size screen as note 3, although not amoled, but as a cabbie, that doesn't matter, along with no spen, which I never used!!

A great piece of tech. Well done MS. Just need to reach the masses now!

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You traded a Note 3 for a 640 XL? Wow, that's a pretty major downgrade, but hey, if you're happy that's all that matters. Wish I knew, I would have traded you my 640 XL for your Note 3 in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but a Note 3 is just a better phone all around. Mine was a store demo model as well, got it for $129 U.S... so I'm not complaining!

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get it from Mad Cabbie? I've not found any stores in the UK that stock it apart from Argos, but they don't have any locally to me.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You traded a Note 3 for a 640 XL? Wow, that's a pretty major downgrade, but hey, if you're happy that's all that matters. Wish I knew, I would have traded you my 640 XL for your Note 3 in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but a Note 3 is just a better phone all around. Mine was a store demo model as well, got it for $129 U.S... so I'm not complaining!

Yep. I did. The N3 is a nice bit of kit, but I got fed up with Samdungs treatment and bloat. I ported a note 4 rom, which worked brilliantly but when the phone went haywire, I went back to stock, and Samdung basically said 'p**s' off you've burnt the knox fuse. It was the headphone socket that went wrong, nothing to do with knox!! I could have persued it but didn't bother. People think that MS have some strange ideas. Samdung ram the roms with bloat, and then stop supporting it! If you ain't rooted, you are carrying bloat that isn't any good. I fell for the hype thinking the SPen would be helpful as a taxi driver. I never used it. OK Google was very hit and miss. I have to say, I miss the blindingly accurate google maps with street view. Here Drive just isn't in the same league. So, do I miss the note 3?? Not at all. Lovely phone, ruined by Samdungs knox system. Open Source my a**e!!!!

640XL?? Same size screen (approx), Cortana is AMAZING ( miss the hey cortana on the 930 though ). Does everything I need it to without the worry of being hit over the head for the latest fashion accessory phone!

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I can relate. I have a Galaxy S5 and really all I need is in Windows Phone. I don't do snapchat or any other apps. FB, email, Twitter, Waze, youtube and browsing is all for me and WP got it covered so the 640 XL will be my next phone. I'm liking the glossy white.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon