Battery and Connection questions

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello! :)

I am proud owner of Lumia 640 xl for three weeks. I am impressed of how fast the phone is.
I like the display, camera. This is my first WP, I come from Android.

Unfortunately my first disappointment was with chat programs like Skype, Facebook Messenger, Line etc. All of them have sync issues, not updating chat properly, messages delayed, no notifications, especially on Skype.
Ok, no problem, bought Sony E4 for my android and chat needs.

My second and major disappointment is the battery life of Lumia 640xl. I read everywhere that the battery life is great, on mine it is very bad.
After full charge the battery program says 1 day and 14 hours left. There were like 2 times when my Lumia lasted 2 days under normal usage, but any other day it lasts 1 day and some more.
For this 1 day I make like 15- 30 minutes calls, 2 hours max of internet, facebook, instagram, tweaking menus etc...
I have stopped using chat program, no change, have soft reset the phone, no change :(

Another thing I want to ask the members here is how is your connection? My first slot is my main/ data SIM. It is always playing up and down, the other one show full most of the time.
When using internet through the day there are times when it says connection lost.

These are my problems, would be nice if some of you share their experience. :)

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Update if any of you is interested :)

It seems my battery problem is gone. Removing Facebook app, messenger, Skype, and especially the Always On Glance screen made my phone last 3+ days with one charge. :)

The bad news is I have another nasty problem with some sites like Facebook to not open in browser with DNS error, this is only when using mobile data, when on WiFi everything works fine.

My mobile operator support couldn't help, we tried manually to add stuff, but at the end DNS error is still here. They said that only reset will fix it and they told me that it may happen again after some time. :(

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Update if any of you is interested :)

It seems my battery problem is gone. Removing Facebook app, messenger, Skype, and especially the Always On Glance screen made my phone last 3+ days with one charge. :)

The bad news is I have another nasty problem with some sites like Facebook to not open in browser with DNS error, this is only when using mobile data, when on WiFi everything works fine.

My mobile operator support couldn't help, we tried manually to add stuff, but at the end DNS error is still here. They said that only reset will fix it and they told me that it may happen again after some time. :(
odd, I have all those apps and have glance screen on peek. I always end up with >70% at the end of the day. My wife is a heavy user, definitely when it comes to FB and messenger. She gets >60% at end of day. Two days without charge is typical for us.

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
odd, I have all those apps and have glance screen on peek. I always end up with >70% at the end of the day. My wife is a heavy user, definitely when it comes to FB and messenger. She gets >60% at end of day. Two days without charge is typical for us.

Well since I can't use IE for Facebook, I had to install FB app and guess what.. at the end of the day phone was at 50% and this morning it was on 35 % :((
There is something wrong with either Facebook app or how the phone charges its battery.
I am really starting to regret getting this Lumia :(
IE (DNS error) not working, FB apps draining battery.. 80% of the time I am on my Android phone... :(

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Is it good or bad to keep your Lumia 640 XL on the charger all the time except when you leave the house?
Or should I charge it and let it discharge most / all the way all the time or once in awhile?
Don't wanna screw up the battery but I think they are replaceable, right?
Should a person carry a spare?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Is it good or bad to keep your Lumia 640 XL on the charger all the time except when you leave the house?
Or should I charge it and let it discharge most / all the way all the time or once in awhile?
Don't wanna screw up the battery but I think they are replaceable, right?
Should a person carry a spare?
I put my phone onto the charger overnight, no issues. The charging technology is smart enough to know when to slow down, trickle charge, and stop. I wouldn't do this for days. You can replace the battery and there was a main page post recently for a decent price for a replacement battery for the 640XL. It is not recommended to discharge the battery completely as that will reduce the lifetime. There is a "best operating window" for state of the art batteries to increase cycle and lifetime but that is typically impracticle for general use (something between 30-80%, I don't remember).

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Well since I can't use IE for Facebook, I had to install FB app and guess what.. at the end of the day phone was at 50% and this morning it was on 35 % :((
There is something wrong with either Facebook app or how the phone charges its battery.
I am really starting to regret getting this Lumia :(
IE (DNS error) not working, FB apps draining battery.. 80% of the time I am on my Android phone... :(

Have you done a hard reset? It may solve your problems. I would recommend a hard reset without restoring from a backup as that may give you the culprit back onto the system.

good luck

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
No, I have done only soft reset. After removing once again FB app, phone lost only 2% for 7 hours night time.

Update on DNS error:
I tried another mobile data sim card and there was no DNS error while using it. It left me thinking that my mobile operator tech guys are not trying their best to help me. Googled for my operator APN settings and some helpful guy has a site with android APN settings. I entered them, the proxy and url stuff, and voila! :) my SIM mobile data open Facebook in IE without DNS error :)
Lets hope it won't bug again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb