AT&T Lumia 640 - Future Price Drops?

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Have been rolling a Lumia 520 for the last two years. My 520, while still functional, is getting a little quirky at times so I'm eyeing the 640 GoPhone at Sprawlmart as its successor. While I can afford the $80 for the 640, how long do you peeps think before we see any appreciable drop in that price?

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing the earliest would probably be around black Friday/ American Thanksgiving holiday. I don't think flagships coming out will even start to affect the price

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
This phone is already priced crazy good, and a fraction of what an equivalent Android or iPhone would cost you. I predict the price won't drop until the phones ages itself into obsolescence.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
While I can afford the $80 for the 640, how long do you peeps think before we see any appreciable drop in that price
If you can afford it just buy it! You'll be missing out on a much better phone in the meantime. I also have a 521 (which is the T-Mobile version of the 520) and I can tell you now this is MUCH better phone, not that the 521 was a bad one of course. As someone said, it's already a great price!

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
This phone is already priced crazy good, and a fraction of what an equivalent Android or iPhone would cost you. I predict the price won't drop until the phones ages itself into obsolescence.

There are plenty of similarly priced Android phones that perform at least as good and perhaps better (my 640 has lag that drives me nuts, but I still like it). Most of the current prepaid 4.7" - 5" Android phones have the same or better specs as the 640 and they all perform decently from most reviews. My sister is on her third Blu phone, she paid $100 for her 5.5" Phablet which has basically the same specs as the 640/640xl, which replaced her Blu 5" phone that was under $100, the last one has Kit Kat, this one I think has Lolly Pop... nice lag-free cheap phones and built really well. You can get a lot for your money today from Windows Phone and Android. Apple? You still pay out the behind.

xxfuzzyxx

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Using a 640 now after my 1520 got smashed and I have to say its a great phone. Running TP 10512 and everything is functioning very well and battery life has been great ao far. IMO there isnt a better buy right now. Have the incipio octane case with see through back now it looks great and performs great. Case was on sale on Amazon for $14. Phone is definitely worth more than $80.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of similarly priced Android phones that perform at least as good and perhaps better (my 640 has lag that drives me nuts, but I still like it). Most of the current prepaid 4.7" - 5" Android phones have the same or better specs as the 640 and they all perform decently from most reviews. My sister is on her third Blu phone, she paid $100 for her 5.5" Phablet which has basically the same specs as the 640/640xl, which replaced her Blu 5" phone that was under $100, the last one has Kit Kat, this one I think has Lolly Pop... nice lag-free cheap phones and built really well. You can get a lot for your money today from Windows Phone and Android. Apple? You still pay out the behind.

Mediatek processor, lousy camera, bloated version of lollipop with only 1 gig of ram, no thank you to Blu. Staying on topic, I would not be surprised to see the ATT 640 at $50 on Black Friday if history repeats itself. When it had the free copy of Office 365 with it, the phone was about the same price as a 12 pack of beer. Ain't no android device coming close to that.

packetwar

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I paid $80 for this phone at Walmart (AT&T GoPhone). It included the free year of Office 365, which is normally $70 by itself. Really killer dealer for $80.

I used the following WP: Lumia 900 til it went in the ocean. HTC 8X til it got ran over. Lumia 520 til screen shattered. Another Lumia 520 til it too, shattered. Lumia 635 for a WHOLE YEAR with no case. Paid $100 for it the day after launch at MS Retail Store. Sold it last week for... $15 to buy some gasoline. Phone took a complete and total *** kicking. Never broke. Screen was still in damn good condition after a year of hell. No screen protection. No case. I bought the bright green official genuine OEM Nokia glossy backplate off Ebay for about $11 last November after I began kicking the crap out of the original matte black one. The glossy backplates seem much more rigid. I've never had a more durable phone than my 635 with the neon green backplate. I dropped it about 3 feet on it's screen onto concrete in a parking garage. Phone exploded. Backplate and battery went flying. Screen was totally mint. Slapped the battery back in it. Popped the backplate back on. Had a good chuckle, then carried on my merry way. Zero issues. Zero damage. Indestructible. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped the phone onto a hard surface, like a patio, and the backplate and battery come flying out and everyone stares horrified and I'm just like "nah it's totally fine". I literally couldn't break my 635.

Waiting for good availability of the glossy orange MS blackplate to replace the matte black one on my 640. Have owned 640 for two weeks now. KILLER handset compared to my last 2 or 3. Absolutely massive upgrade over the 635. Can't even imagine comparing it a 520.

The 1GB of RAM compared to the 520/635's 512MB... is like night and day. Also, has a much better camera with FLASH!!!!!!!! And way higher resolution screen. Treat yourself to a 640 for $80. You'll be so totally stoked with it. Damn good price. On a side note, the 635 lacked an ambient light sensor and it drove me mad. Having one on the 640 (and 520) is quite the luxury when you've gone without one for so long.

I agree with above posters that it should be like $50 on black friday. I wouldn't suffer another 3 months over $30 price difference though.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Using a 640 now after my 1520 got smashed and I have to say its a great phone. Running TP 10512 and everything is functioning very well and battery life has been great ao far. IMO there isnt a better buy right now. Have the incipio octane case with see through back now it looks great and performs great. Case was on sale on Amazon for $14. Phone is definitely worth more than $80.

Same here... Broke my 1530 replaced it with a 640... $80 never spent so well. The 630 had been a pleasure... The size is nice ans it still captures good photos, reminds me of my old 920... Has nee debating if I will get the cityman or talkman for size alone.

I had a 635, but it was out of the question with half a gig of ram and no front facing camera... The 640 is the phone you nee to get now.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Mediatek processor, lousy camera, bloated version of lollipop with only 1 gig of ram, no thank you to Blu. Staying on topic, I would not be surprised to see the ATT 640 at $50 on Black Friday if history repeats itself. When it had the free copy of Office 365 with it, the phone was about the same price as a 12 pack of beer. Ain't no android device coming close to that.
The camera was actually one of the reasons I got my Lumia 640 and came back to Windows Phone. There was nothing comparable in it's price range. Of course it helped that I already liked the Windows Phone OS, so the camera was definitely the straw that broke the camels back so to speak in convincing myself to get it.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
The camera was actually one of the reasons I got my Lumia 640 and came back to Windows Phone. There was nothing comparable in it's price range. Of course it helped that I already liked the Windows Phone OS, so the camera was definitely the straw that broke the camels back so to speak in convincing myself to get it.

Camera is surprisingly good for the price, the camera on the 635 was terrible even comparted to my old 520.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Camera is surprisingly good for the price, the camera on the 635 was terrible even comparted to my old 520.
Yes I certainly couldn't complain about the camera on my 521. I always found similar Android cameras seemed a bit anemic when compared to Nokia ones. The battery life is much better on the 640 though. I can actually use it and have a decent amount left end of the day unlike the 521.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes I certainly couldn't complain about the camera on my 521. I always found similar Android cameras seemed a bit anemic when compared to Nokia ones. The battery life is much better on the 640 though. I can actually use it and have a decent amount left end of the day unlike the 521.

The battery life on the 640 is really good, its like it was on my 920/1020 on 8.0... Gosh I miss those days... Even more than I miss the WP 7 days...

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

I really like how fast the camera was on my M7 with the Dev Edition of 4.4 was, that was a good experience too, even for a 4MP camera.. I liked that phone... I digress...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett