Why does my power button launch the camera after unlocking?

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Power button launches camera after unlocking

Good evening,

since today's morning I have strange issue with my Lumia. When I press power button to unlock, it unlocks, vibrate and then triggers camera application. When I try to take a photo, I half press camera button, it focuses, but when I press more, nothing happens... When I'm not in camera and want to launch it by pressing camera button, nothing happens too...

When my screen is locked and I receive any toast notification, it just unlocks in my pocket and launch camera... It's really stupid issue.

I thought it could be broken camera button, which would be "pressed" and stuck, but it doesn't seem to be the case, because immediately after restart camera button works, I can launch camera by pressing camera button, one time.

Soft reset didn't help, I'm going to reinstall OS, when I'll arrive home. Anyone got same issue?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Power button launches camera after unlocking

never had that issue on our two L830s. That it unlocks your phone and starts the camera with notifications sounds bizarre. First thing I thought maybe somebody hacked the phone and is spying (NSA?) .

I've heard that button functions got scrambled and the phone started with the press of the camera button (there is a setting which allows you to start phone with camera button or disable that function). Have you tried to play with that? Maybe there is a tiny chance that that will clear the weirdness you experience (likely not, but doesn't cost you much to try).

Other than that I can only suggest a hard reset as well.

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Reinstalling OS via Lumia Software Recovery Tool didn't help, issue is still here. Happens in like 9 of 10 tries, it behaves like the camera button is stucked, but half-press works, interesting.

I cannot perform test via Nokia Care Suite, because it says there is no test package for RM-984 :( So I will send it for repair this week, hope they'll solve it in warranty.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

What about "photos+camera" settings? Have you tried checking/unchecking options available there?

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Yes, that was my first idea :( I tried different combinations, nothing helped.

Just for now, I have set a password, so when I receive toast notification or unlock phone in my pocket, I can only get to camera and cannot mess with anything else. But it's very uncomfortable. What am I going to do without my lovely phone, baaah :( :D

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Yes, that was my first idea :( I tried different combinations, nothing helped.

Just for now, I have set a password, so when I receive toast notification or unlock phone in my pocket, I can only get to camera and cannot mess with anything else. But it's very uncomfortable. What am I going to do without my lovely phone, baaah :( :D

That's sad to hear. :( Seems that you should visit your local Device Care Center to get your phone repaired!
I will keep my fingers crossed for a happy ending!

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

You are very kind, thanks :) Now I found out I'm not only one, it happened to some ppl here before: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mia-830-always-wakes-camera-how-do-i-fix.html

I tried reinstall OS to Windows Phone 8.1 (not Update 2), but still I couldn't put Lumia 830 to test mode via Care Suite, so I installed official firmware again, it was the same, but now... I don't know, what happened... but it WORKS! I can take photos, it no longer unlocks itself and launch camera. Hope it will stay fine.

But there is one thing I can't get to work: is there way to really prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked? The option in settings doesn't seem to do anything - checked or not, I can still launch camera by pressing shutter, while the phone is locked.

EDIT: I tried it one more time, I check both options again and now it's OK - when I press shutter button while locked, nothing happens. Only when I choose Microsoft Camera as my primary app, it can be unlocked by pressing shutter (now, before it can be unlocked even with Lumia Camera).

Wow, phones have their very own soul sometimes... Really hope everything's gonna be alright, everything's gonna be OK.

EDIT2: Pfff, that's really, really, really strange... I can set whatever in settings (both checked, both unchecked, combination), but I can still launch camera from lockscreen by pressing shutter. But this is minor "bug", so I can stand it.

EDIT3: Awww, silly me! Prevent accidental... is dependent on ambient light sensor, it makes sense now. So there is basically no way to disable shutter on lockscreen, okay. Didn't know that :)

Last edited:

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I think you should have your phone checked by Care Center employees anyways. :)

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi again,

I was unhappy with my camera (it worked one day, and didn't work the other day...), so I sent it to merchant, who sent it to repair center. It took only 10 days +- and even I wrote like whole A4 paper with description (mainly about randomness of this bug), merchant sent it to repair center with something like "camera: completely not working".

They replaced like half of the phone, according to their expression in service list. The bezel, the flex cable, it seems like they replaced even the display,... Now it's working very well (except that horrible scrolling lag :/).

But I have one question: is there any chance, that that defect was caused by use of magnetic lenses? I mean, they attached to phone through metal circle (sticked on back of phone) and magnetic lens. May the magnetic field of lens cause defect like this?

I doubt it, but just to be sure... :)

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

That's great that your device is fixed now :) I hope you won't run into any issues with your Lumia anymore.

//

A: Honestly, I have no idea :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers