Thinking about getting a Lumia 930

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm moving from Android to Windows Phone and the Lumia 930 looks like it is pretty good.

Just want to get a few questions of mine answered:

Does the 930 support 4G?

Are there any known issues or major missing features with the 930?

Will the 930 support Windows 10 Mobile when it releases?

Posted via the Windows Central App

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm moving from Android to Windows Phone and the Lumia 930 looks like it is pretty good.

Just want to get a few questions of mine answered:

Does the 930 support 4G?

Are there any known issues or major missing features with the 930?

Will the 930 support Windows 10 Mobile when it releases?

Hi and welcome to Windows Central!
If you are in the US then no, the 930 does not get LTE. It was never released here so does not support US LTE bands. The HSPA+ I get using a Straight Talk AT&T SIM is quite zippy. I run Windows 10 mobile build 10512 on mine without any major issues. YMMV though. I'll let others address the possible hardware issues. I've been fortunate and have no complaints in that area. Hope you enjoy yours!

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Windows Central!
If you are in the US then no, the 930 does not get LTE. It was never released here so does not support US LTE bands. The HSPA+ I get using a Straight Talk AT&T SIM is quite zippy. I run Windows 10 mobile build 10512 on mine without any major issues. YMMV though. I'll let others address the possible hardware issues. I've been fortunate and have no complaints in that area. Hope you enjoy yours!

Thanks! Sure hope I will enjoy it. I'm in the UK so I presume I should receive the 4G LTE.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Sure hope I will enjoy it. I'm in the UK so I presume I should receive the 4G LTE.

That's great about the LTE. The 2 problems you usually read about re: 930 hardware issues are over heating and screen flicker. I have had neither. If I do heavy browsing the phone warms up in the lower corner. Nothing extreme though, at least for me. The screen is beautiful and the camera excellent. Have been running the W10 preview builds since day 1 and love W10 for mobile on the 930.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't get 930, that's coming from 930 owner.

It's a great phone, that's coming from another 930 owner!

The only reason I'd say not to get one is that there are new flagship phones coming at the end of the year, maybe wait if you can.

Why not get a cheap WP to see if you like it, that's what I did when coming from Android. I spent about ?100 on a 630, but there are better deals on better phones now.

Primoz Kavcic

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
After the Lumia Denim update my L930 doesn't heat up at all (maybe a bit, barely noticable). On the other hand my screen flckers on 2G all the time. Thank god we have 3G/4G coverage almost everywhere, so this i guess won't be a big problem for you. I sometimes also get the purple screen (where grays aren't grays but slightly purpleish). All other things-hands down. The phone is super fast, never hangs, always responsive, camera is well above average, screen colours are just magnificent, speaker loud, you name it-this phone has it. You probably can also get a good deal since this phone is now a year old. You can wait for a new flagship but i am sure it will cost double the price of 930.
Just my small input : ) Any further questions? Just ask!

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
It's a great phone, that's coming from another 930 owner!

The only reason I'd say not to get one is that there are new flagship phones coming at the end of the year, maybe wait if you can.

Why not get a cheap WP to see if you like it, that's what I did when coming from Android. I spent about ?100 on a 630, but there are better deals on better phones now.

Well, personally I really can't recommend it due to proximity sensor issues that popped up in my unit during past week (not to mention mainboard failure in first month of ownership). Plus phone gets hot in bottom right corner, where the CPU is located, after longer use (5 min+) which isn't that nice with metal frame unless you really have a thick skin. And I don't mean gaming, I mean browsing facebook. That's enough to generate enough heat for it to become uncomfortable. Since these issues are not that uncommon I'd rather refrain from recommending the phone to any user. Sure, it's fast, has good camera with raw but honestly - potential hardware issues along with the fact that it won't get the top W10 features (continuity) are enough for me to say - don't buy.

Not to mention - WP is not Android or iOS, some developers still don't give a damn about providing WP versions of their apps.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I have been using 930 for half a year. Photos look very beautiful - now I have more interest in taking photos and also I seldom bring a real camera because photos taken are nearly professional (to me).

The screen is beautiful. The phone body is cool and sexy (mine is golden-white).

I would recommend buying a second-hand one if you really want it, as two flagships are coming soon.

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind going all out and buying the 930, I support Microsoft all the way. The issues that have been mentioned, I'm sure there is some type of warranty, right? If so, I could use that if any issues appear.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Had my 930 for about a year now, no issues and it works fine from 2G to 4G as I use it whilst travelling all over Scotland. It's survived all that I've thrown at it.

I don't use it for apps, it's mostly for productivity/business usage so battery life can easily last me a day sometimes two depending on how many calls I get.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
The only issue I've had was with the 2nd mic, which is not an unknown issue with the 930. I had it repaired as it was under warranty ( you get two years in the UK), but as I bought it from Carphone Warehouse they sorted it.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
It is the best windows phone out there. Period.
I'm loving mine and it is amazing how everyone that sees it (iphone and nexus/samsung/oneplusone owners alike) starts considering buying a windows phone. I've become the preferred photographer in my group of friends too especially with rich capture enabled everyone loves my 930 shots. And battery life is fantastic (just keep the dark OS theme!).

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind going all out and buying the 930, I support Microsoft all the way. The issues that have been mentioned, I'm sure there is some type of warranty, right? If so, I could use that if any issues appear.

So if you "support Microsoft all the way" why are you asking about issues? Buy it, you have 2 years of warranty. By no means it's not the best phone.

I know my unit is going to have its second visit at Nokia Care Center soon, since the screen lift issue can't be fixed with any DIY that wouldn't void the warranty. And that's about 8 months into the life of the phone. What I also know is that Microsoft is reducing the number of care centers across Europe so processing time will increase.

Last edited:

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
There are more than many of these threats on this and you'll get as many pros and cons as you wish. If in doubt, don't buy one , if not follow your heart...

Via Tapatalk de mon splendide Lumia 930

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
It is the best windows phone out there. Period.
I'm loving mine and it is amazing how everyone that sees it (iphone and nexus/samsung/oneplusone owners alike) starts considering buying a windows phone. I've become the preferred photographer in my group of friends too especially with rich capture enabled everyone loves my 930 shots. And battery life is fantastic (just keep the dark OS theme!).

Oh, I'll definitely be using the dark theme. :)

divyan

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
My experience with Lumia 930 is a mixed bag. The phone is very sexy, and not too big for me. The camera and display is wonderful (wow, the camera - during a recent overseas trip I shot a truck load of pics and believe me, every single shot came through pretty good.). I have tried Windows 10 TPs and things look promising for me. Still, the present nagging problems ( over heat, second microphone issues etc ) maybe a challenge in the longer run.

I would say you go for it only if you get a very good deal in terms of price.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
There are more than many of these threats on this and you'll get as many pros and cons as you wish.

Which means it's a good phone, because the internet is always full of people with problems with there devices, but if your device is working a it should be, why go to the internet?

a happy 930 owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)