Camera Quality

brc20

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi people. I bought a Lumia 640 two weeks ago. In generaI I like the smartphone, however the camera bothers me.

My last phone, a lumia 720, took best photos than the 640. The colours were more vibrant and the flash work to enhance portraits.
In the lumia 640 is the other way around, the colours in indoor photos are cold, muted and the flash dont bring any help. The worst thing is that the sharpness of the picture is little satisfactory compared with the lumia 720.

Anyone Is having the same result?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
which OS are you on, 8.1 or 10?

my experience with the camera from the 920 and the 930 on 8.1 is fair.

on windows 10 i think it is very bad.

what are saying is basically the white balance, how about you manual white balance, maybe that would fix things?

brc20

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone 8.1
It's just not the white balance, most photos lack sharpness all over. I've tried to adjust manually the photo but that don't resolve, the photo continue to look bad.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Remember to keep your hand still when taking a photo. The Lumia 640 is a bigger phone, so you may have trouble keeping your hand steady.
I advise you to use a tripod. Your problems will disappear with this small suggestion.

brc20

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Of course I keep my hand still when taking a photo, but tanks for the suggestion. The camera have a problem with indoor colours and sharpness.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have used this phone for about 3 months now, before that using L525. I would suggest you to try the built in Microsoft Camera in Night Scene Mode for your indoor shots or just auto mode. Or if you have Lumia Camera 4 (Classic) installed, use those modes too I mentioned. Give it a try. Reason is I too find that the L640's Lumia Camera 5 is 'keen' to use higher ISO in low light or indoors if you only leave it in auto mode, unless you want to set the dials manually you can get better result.

Last edited:

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the Carl Zeiss optics is the reason, or that aperture of 720..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
In fact I like the camera of 640 more than my Nexus 4! Camera + good photo software is making fun to capture photos on this phone. Before buying 640 I saw so many reviews talking bad about the camera quality however it is producing decent photos.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll be honest, i'm spending 30 days with this phone and there is a LOT to LOVE about it, but the camera is not one of those things. As a photographer (who uses a full frame camera usually), I totally love the manual controls offered by the Lumia 640 and the Lumia Camera app. However the output indoors is really abysmal compared to what I am used to (iPhone 5S phone-wise), however (again) keep in mind this is a $80-$100 phone for most people. With that in mind I can live with the camera. Outdoors in decent lighting of course is fine.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
The camera on the 640 is very respectable and is BY FAR the best camera on any sub $100 smart phone. I can't even believe anyone would complain about it. Try an $80 Android phone and see how "good" the camera is. For that matter try any sub $200 Android and see how well it compares to the 640.

PS. I'm talking in general not referring to any of you.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm,interesting how lot of people complain about 640's pics. I've seen some review and comparison between 735 which I own, and 640 and 640 pics may look even better to me. At least, they are on par with 735 in good light, or maybe better. Maybe you guys have some probems with camera modules?

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Well I think some of the complaints are probably from folks who are used to higher end device cameras, such as the iPhones and higher tier Android phones. On my iPhone 5S I never even worry for a second that the picture will come out fuzzy or noisy unless conditions are absolutely horrid. I think that is kind of the point I was hitting at in that you can't really compare those two cameras though because one device costs about $750+ and the other is between $70-$100. For the price the camera is good, but a lot of folks who would potentially switch from iPhone to Windows phone often pick up the lower end devices to try out the OS first and are likely taken aback by the difference in camera quality (specifically speaking about indoors). Outdoors is fine, usually. I'm looking forward to testing out one of the higher end devices like the 930 or 1520 sometime later this year, unless I pick up a 950 before then.

Ed YANG

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm,interesting how lot of people complain about 640's pics. ... ...and 640 and 640 pics may look even better to me....
20150516_d4b9e7886e34fda92027TcpxoiDzjdCN.jpg

I don't find much clarity issues with my 640. Only 2 gripes though...
1. I can't set it to a lower resolution such that I can send the pictures taken immediately thru email, that have attachment size limitations.
2. The pinkish hue is too obvious... that made my Asian flesh tone look orangey.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the Carl Zeiss optics is the reason, or that aperture of 720..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Zeiss Optics are only on the 640 XL :)

640 Specs:
Microsoft Lumia 640 - Specifications - Microsoft - UK

640 XL Specs:

Microsoft Lumia 640 XL - Specifications - Microsoft - UK

To the OP, the 720 has an aperature of f/1.9 whereas the the 640 has f/2.2 (the XL has f/2.0)

Not to mention it is much more optimized along with Zeiss optics both of which the 640 lacks however that is balanced out with the inclusion of Lumia Camera 5.0 & Rich capture.

Edit:

http://n2.hk/d/attachments/day_150516/20150516_d4b9e7886e34fda92027TcpxoiDzjdCN.jpg
1. I can't set it to a lower resolution such that I can send the pictures taken immediately thru email, that have attachment size limitations.
2. The pinkish hue is too obvious... that made my Asian flesh tone look orangey.

Interesting,

1) which camera app did you use Microsoft Camera, Lumia Camera 5.0 or?

2) If you did you use Lumia Camera 5.0, is that with or without Rich Capture?

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe there was something wrong with my writing, but that's what I meant... 720 has Zeiss optics, 640 doesn't... 720 has f/1.9 aperture which now samsung is advertising for its phones.. I exactly wanted to say 720 camera has these two advantages over 640 and they might be the reason why 720 photos are better than 640...720 was my first Windows Phone and I know that camera on its is pretty special.. It used to surprise me in a good way even more than my 1020..

Ed YANG

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Interesting,

1) which camera app did you use Microsoft Camera, Lumia Camera 5.0 or?

2) If you did you use Lumia Camera 5.0, is that with or without Rich Capture?
1. No. No other Camera apps used. It's the LUMIA Camera apps which came with the OS by default.
2. No further enhancements set before taking pics. Original picture taken in all default auto settings, cropped later with the LUMIA editor without further enhancements.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
http://n2.hk/d/attachments/day_150516/20150516_d4b9e7886e34fda92027TcpxoiDzjdCN.jpg

I see no problem, too. Picture looks crisp enough and decent, especialy when we know camera isn't Zeiss one.

Only white balance is probably in need of ajdustment, as is mostly all the time with Lumias.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind this is a photo outdoors with what appears to be decent lighting. I agree that the quality outdoors is fine, the autofocus is a little slow, but really not bad. I believe most of the concern centers around indoor performance. Outdoor photo taking is not as problematic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion