Difference between 640 and 830

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm an owner of an AT&T Lumia 830, and I am about to sell off this phone due to AT&T withholding the full Denim firmware. I was just curious what I'd be losing if I "downgrade" to the 640 until the newer flagship devices are released.

From what I can tell, there is no wireless charging, which primarily use to charge my phone.The camera is 8 MP vs 10 MP, and the internal memory is 8GB vs 16GB, which is inconsequential since I have a microSD card for storage.

Would I be losing anything outside these three specific areas?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
External camera button (though you can put a short cut in the notifications area) and the 640 has softkeys along the bottom, as opposed to hardware keys.

The 830 has PureView, but the 640 has Lumia Camera. I am not sure what the difference in photo quality is.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the 830 will throw out better photos, especially in low light. but the 640's access to Lumia Camera 5 is a plus.

The battery in the 640 is larger.

You get more plastic in the 640.

Glance can't display weather and backgrounds.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I originally got the 830 when the Microsoft Store offered a huge discount a few months ago, and I needed to replace my broken 920. I should be able to easily recoup my expense. For now, I might just stick with my brother's old Lumia 820 until the new flagships reach the market.

I might talk my mom into getting herself a 640, though. She wants something larger than her iPhone 5 without an iPhone price, and she seemed to like what she saw of my 830 over the weekend.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Why not keep the 830? Is it just because you're mad at ATT?

Thanks guys. I originally got the 830 when the Microsoft Store offered a huge discount a few months ago, and I needed to replace my broken 920. I should be able to easily recoup my expense. For now, I might just stick with my brother's old Lumia 820 until the new flagships reach the market.

I might talk my mom into getting herself a 640, though. She wants something larger than her iPhone 5 without an iPhone price, and she seemed to like what she saw of my 830 over the weekend.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Why not keep the 830? Is it just because you're mad at ATT?

This is mostly a financial decision at this point because I can get by using my brother's old 820 until the time that Windows 10 phones are released. That 820 wasn't available at the time of my 830 purchase because of a broken screen and bad earpiece speaker, but I just finished repairing it this weekend. My need of a phone and a price drop on this model are the only reasons I ended up with the 830 in the first place.

AT&T's treatment of the firmware release for the 830 coupled with minor annoyances I've had with issues that would be addresssed by said firmware do factor into my decision to get rid of the phone, but I'm not "mad" to the point of leaving AT&T's service, if that's what you're asking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans