[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 640?

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I bought the GoPhone variant last week as an upgrade from my 635. I used it for two days and then switched my sim card back into my 635, but that's only because I'm waiting on a couple of cases and a yellow shell to arrive before I put it to daily use. Overall I'm happy with it. The tiles are smaller than on the 635, but I found that the smaller tiles look more sophisticated. When I switched back to my 635, the larger tiles almost looked a bit clownish in comparison. I don't like that my favorite ringtone on the 635 (Brimful) is not an option on this phone, however!

RunningQ

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't like that my favorite ringtone on the 635 (Brimful) is not an option on this phone, however!

My favorite ringtone slow coffee on 635 is not on 640 either, but I downloaded it and put it in the ringtone folder, then it works fine :)

austinlee685

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello Everyone!

I have the Lumia 640 [the MetroPCS version] and it is an amazing phone for the price. I can't complain about the hardware and an equivalent costing or speced android phone would not run anywhere near this good! One of the gripes that I had about it though is that there isn't a lot of accessories for this phone. The build quality feels a little better than an iPhone 5c and the buttons feel nice for being plastic. This was my first step into Windows phone and I am hoping that the downfalls with the apps aren't enough to drive me away. I've had it for a little over 2 months now and I think I can live in this ecosystem long term.

cawafuoshi

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Picked up the at&t gophone version for fiddling. Horrible blisterpack. Not Microsoft's fault. The 640 is a familiar experience having had the 521 and 635 to play around with. Certainly, the better specs, and especially the better camera/front camera, make it a great budget choice. Glance and HD screen give it a scent of former flagship flavor.

I like the form factor, replacable battery, weight. Great backup phone or daily driver depending on needs and budget. This should be selling like hot cakes at $79 a pop. Not sure how it is doing in the market place though. Have no idea why it is not a choice with T-Mo US any longer save for the Walmart version. And, not quite sure what the 550 in the line-up will be for? 640 is best budget Lumia so far.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Picked up the at&t gophone version for fiddling. Horrible blisterpack. Not Microsoft's fault. The 640 is a familiar experience having had the 521 and 635 to play around with. Certainly, the better specs, and especially the better camera/front camera, make it a great budget choice. Glance and HD screen give it a scent of former flagship flavor.

I like the form factor, replacable battery, weight. Great backup phone or daily driver depending on needs and budget. This should be selling like hot cakes at $79 a pop. Not sure how it is doing in the market place though. Have no idea why it is not a choice with T-Mo US any longer save for the Walmart version. And, not quite sure what the 550 in the line-up will be for? 640 is best budget Lumia so far.

The 550 is meant to clean up/combine the 4xx, 5xx series. Not sure what is meant by displacement, but I have a 640, and I still want the 550.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The 550 is meant to clean up/combine the 4xx, 5xx series. Not sure what is meant by displacement, but I have a 640, and I still want the 550.

The growing concern is that the 550 is similar in design language and price-point, albeit with lesser specs than the 640/640 XL. What we essentially have here is yet another budget phone from Microsoft meant to address a particular market segment that they have done well in. If the phone ends up being better than the 640/640 XL, I will consider it. But for the price I paid for the Lumia 640 and 640 XL, I can't see spending a dollar amount somewhere in the middle for a device that isn't much better and possibly worse.

It's hardly an Apple releasing the iPhone 5C though. Now if Microsoft released a 930 in a 640's body and charged $330 for it off-contract then that would be a fair argument.

liteon163

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been a hard core Android user since 2009, but I've been growing bored with the whole "rows of icons" paradigm. My kids were using a Lumia 521 on T-Mobile, so I'm familiar with Windows Phone. Once I got the itch to replace (supplement, actually) my LG G2 on Cricket Wireless, I started looking around for good deals on Windows Phones. There's no way I was going to pay Cricket $130 for a Lumia 640, so when I discovered Wal-Mart sells the Go Phone version (which works fine on all AT&T-owned carriers) for $80 I eventually talked myself into it.

I've been using my Android phones more and more over the years and wanted to reduce usage a bit, so I figure the 640 should help in that regard. In some cases, the relative dearth of apps is actually a blessing; I've been able to find all of the apps I NEED without so many superfluous ones.

We'll see how it goes... if the 640 works out well for me and if Microsoft Continuum works as well as it should, perhaps there will be a Lumia 950 (or whatever might come next) in my future.

Last edited:

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Use Lumia 640 LTE for 4 months and noticed only one but for me serious fault: GPS can't start offline when driving or when walking in the nature. With Motorola Moto G I never hadn't such problems.

David Kerns

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a 640 from Microsoft store for $60. Have had two iphones a 4 and a 5s
haven't activated the lumia yet but I have been messing with it to get familiar with the OS.
first impressions I really like the phone the included apps are nice, but from what i have seen the apps in the store leave a lot to be desired.
I don't use a lot of apps that's why I wasn't scared of the switch, but the ones I do use are crappy in the windows version compared to the iphone.
it seems the developers don't put a lot of effort into them. I think windows phone could be more successful if the app store had better quality apps.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
For the most part I have been happy with the switch. Granted there are a few apps I wish were available and a few that are had more support and features. But the overall experience has been good despite these. And in keeping true to Lumia reception, I can now get consistent signal where I could not before. Only Motorola comes close.

Edit: I can only hope the official Windows 10 mobile update will help on bringing a stronger developer presence faster than the current pace. With apps becoming universal across Windows/Xbox devices, devs will have a huge market to cater to compared to before so the incentive should be there.

Last edited:

BryGuyNovice2014

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Recently, the insides of my Lumia 1020 had been so completely messed up that I wasn't able to turn it on. Lost everything inside that phone, including the photos.

After a few months of going between different phones, and having a month of terror because it coincided with my rush of assignments for the end of semester, I felt like I was about to lose my mind. Then I got the Lumia 640, considering I wasn't in such a great mood, this phone was very much what I needed, and I don't think I will miss my 41MP cameraphone now. :smile:

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm a long time Android user curious about Windows mobile. While my primary drivers have been Samsung GS3, GS4, I've kept a Lumia 520 as an emergency phone and something to tinker around with to explore Windows mobile 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile. W10M on the 520 is not exciting to say the least.

However, when deals on the 640 rolled out, I took advantage and now have my brand new Lumia 640 all configured. I am extremely impressed! The hardware seems on par with my Galaxy S4.... and for $40!

W10M is gorgeous, smooth and lag free. I'm a Surface Pro 3 user and desktop Windows 10 user, so the interface looks familiar and appealing. I'm not a huge popular app guy. I'm an adult, so I have zero need for Snapchat. I do miss my travel apps like Southwest, AA, Tripcase. However, the mobile versions through Edge aren't too bad. I haven't put them to practice in a trip yet through.

I haven't made the switch from Android to Lumia 640 as my primary driver, but I'm close. Nice work, Microsoft. Windows 10 mobile is looking more promising to me.

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
3 years using a BlackBerry Z10, a year with an Android before that, a WM6 phone before that... now I have a 640... I finally got fed up with the battery life issue on the Z10.
BlackBerry messed up when they EOLd the PlayBook, and I held on for an extra year before I finally got so fed up that I recently bought a little HP Stream 7. Liked it a lot on 8.1, but then upgraded it to 10, totally worth it. So impressed that I started looking and the modern Windows phones, and found out about the 640. Finally pulled the trigger yesterday, got it set up, and even upgraded it to the 10 preview. I have only 2 small things that don't work 100% perfect. I am sure they will be addressed, and I have the tablet that they work perfectly on anyway - and being able to tether easily (and I mean as easy as the PB and the Z10 did, which is high praise) I am really impressed.
I've got screen protectors and a case ordered, because it seems a little thin and slick for my old hands, but really looking forward to using this for a while.

I am missing the Hub a little, but not very much. I have all my emails set up, and I can scroll through txts and FB pretty easily - but a unified screen was pretty cool. Someone figure that out, and I'll be 1000%.

I got mine on a price match from Wal-Mart - $49. I'll get more than that (!) for my old Z10, since it still works and I have a bunch of stuff to go with it, but I won't be looking back much at all.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just about 24 hours in. Switching from BLU Win HD LTE as my backup to a $30 Lumia 640 GoPhone. I've already ordered an Orange battery cover, a clear snap on case and a Tempered Glass screen protector off Amazon. Total investment ~ $55. Can't beat that with a stick.

A) Lumia Firmware is still a value added package
B) Camera seems nice from the couple of pics I took. I'm sorta used to playing with budget phone cameras and this looks easier to handle than BLU's 8 MP shooter. That Lumia difference again.
C) Size, weight, texture... This is a nice phone in the hand
D) I've had SD 400 and 410 models with 1 GB RAM - It's cool. My expectations are scaled accordingly. ;)
E) Nice screen. I prefer IPS, 5" is a good size and the 720p @ 294ppi looks good to my eye. This is my new minimum standard and I really don't need much more. I'd rather have the battery life than a "Gee-Whiz, wouldja lookit dat" screen
F) My first Sony phone with Double Tap to Sleep on the software nav bar. LOVE it.
G) Glance, DTtW, Brightness and Color Profiles. Awesome for the $ and more Lumia firmware coming through with ClearBlack tech.
H) The microSD slot is actually more capable than the one in my 1520: SDXC vs SDHC
I) Battery life promises to be decent at 2,500 mAh and it is Li-Ion vs BLU's Li-Po
J) Moving on to Windows 10 Mobile 10586.107 right away via Insider Release Build is priceless. My first daily driver with W10M and I'm really looking forward to it.

shenandoah

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
A couple thoughts on the Microsoft Lumia 640

Folks,

I've had all kinds of Blackberry phones and many Android phones (no high end ones though) in the past. I'm coming to the Microsoft Lumia 640 from a Blackberry Q10. Here's a couple thoughts on the Microsoft Lumia 640.

I have two versions of the Microsoft Lumia 640: The AT&T GoPhone version (unlocked through AT&T) and the dual sim LTE version (unlocked). I am really impressed with both phones. I originally purchased the AT&T version through Microsoft on Black Friday for $49. What a deal! I upgraded the phone to WM10 insiders and really haven't had any problems so far. The phone is responsive, has a good display, has a micro sd card slot to expand the overall memory, and has a decent camera. The "app" store is somewhat limited for Windows phones, but I really don't play games on my phone. I can't believe how good the phone is for the price. I was in Germany, Denmark, and Ireland in January and the phone worked great with a local sim card. While overseas, it seemed as if Windows phones were more common than in the United States.

After returning to the US I decided to purchase the dual sim version of the Lumia 640 LTE. A dual sim phone is convenient as you don't have to swap sim cards all the time. I can't understand why this phone isn't marketed as an International business phone. From what I've seen and read, there are few phones out there that cover so many LTE bands as the Lumia 640 LTE dual sim. Plus you can have Office on the phone, so it really makes for a great business phone. I also noticed that Germany and many other countries have a Windows app for their public transportation systems. Overall I am impressed with the Lumia 640.

Eric

ma678

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I got quite impressed with my Lumia 640 LTE I got from AT&T two days ago. Obviously cannot go wrong with $30. Love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion