Got a new phone - what should I do with my 635?

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I've never had a "backup" phone. Any recommendations on what to do with my 635 now that I've got a Blu Win HD LTE as my daily driver? Can I do anything neat with a Windows Phone - use it as a permanent Roku remote or something like that? (seems redundant since my tablets and my Blu phone both work great here). Use it as a semi-permanent HUD in my car? Would it work without a SIM? Maybe I should donate it, but I lost my first 635 and I can tend to lose things at times so I like the idea of having a "backup" phone. The 635, great piece that it is, is not really worth anything monetarily. I guess I can put it on craigslist and see what happens.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
When I got my 640 I gave my 630 to a friend.Although my friend has made good use of it,I kinda wish Id kept it to play around withW10

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
For decades I've kept my previous phone in a drawer as a "backup" in case my phone got lost or stolen. In this case the 635 is such a capable device it seems like a giant waste to do this. Maybe I'll donate it to Goodwill or something. Let someone who needs it have it and help a charity. Someone who shops at goodwill can use this. It has an old 1G micro-SD card in it!

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I too upgraded to a 640 from a 635 a week or so ago and wondered the same thing. What to do with the 635? I removed the SIM and micro-SD. They are now in the 640, which is a very nice (and affordable) phone BTW. The 635 was reset back to square one and I'd rather not keep it in a drawer somewhere. I think I'll look for a charity and donate it, like Philip Hamm seems to be doing.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
you can download maps and use it as a nav unit for the car. keep music and use as an ipod. it will do lots on wifi.

Personally, I would download WP10 and see if I liked it enough to use on the daily. I had a 635, and downloaded an early build on it, and decided to keep my daily as is. WP 10 has come a longs ways since. In fact, I have another 635 right now that I'm waiting on a screen for, then I'm going to use it test WP10 again.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
We still sell it here with our major Provider for $79.00, I don't consider it an old phone as it has 4G. I prefer the size over 640 myself. Maybe keep it you never know, you may go back to it, not many with the Nokia Name on it anymore!

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
We still sell it here with our major Provider for $79.00, I don't consider it an old phone as it has 4G. I prefer the size over 640 myself. Maybe keep it you never know, you may go back to it, not many with the Nokia Name on it anymore!
It doesn't just have 4G, it has 4G LTE! Definitely a viable phone today, right now! If it didn't have an incompatibility with my 64G SIM I'd still own it.

I put an old 16G SIM in it, refreshed it, downloaded some maps for offline GPS, and downloaded some apps. one of these days I'll sit with the camera apps and take some comparison pictures to really compare the camera with the one on my BLU Win HD LTE. T-Mobile still doesn't have any updates for it and my 635 is running a VERY old version of Windows phone OS. I wonder can they refresh the OS at the Microsoft Store? Maybe I'll head in one of these days, I love going there.

RunningQ

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
When I got my 640, I gave my 635 to a friend too. That's her first smart phone and she's quite happy with it. I also gave my 520 to another friend as a media player. :D

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
For future reference for others considering what they can do with a quality used phone for which they no longer have a need, many places have a special program for battered and abused women who are trying to get away from the person abusing them. You can usually work through local law enforcement to see if they assist with something of this nature. They take donations of phones and a charity provides SIMs for them so that the women can have an emergency phone in case their stalker locates them for any reason. These are people who have to go into hiding and relocate to get away from severe physical abuse, and is a good cause. I've got 2 phones I'll be donating later today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb