Microsoft Lumia 640 worth it?

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm really liking my 640. Only problems are single speaker on the bottom, 4.8" usable screen size with the rest wasted black space

Your best alternative is to download UC Browser which has full screen support and utilizes IE's rendering engine. You can hide the address bar and get the full 5" experience.

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
aha... For the price point this phone is killer! Using this phone for past 22 days now. I'm amazed by the overall package of this phone. I used Google Nexus 4 for past 2+ years and this phone beats that phone.

Noticeable good things of this phone are:
1. Sound quality (Sound is good loud and clear, In fact I usually keep volume down to 6 out of 10 because its loud! If you use it in crowded place you can easily hear other person talking by increasing volue.)
2. Battery life. (On android I was charging my phone every day, however with this phone I charge it every 1.5 days sometime 2 days)
3. Some cool features like cortana (I have my blog that talks one feature that surprised me. Check here tushargok.blogspot.in/2015/08/windows-phone-os-lumia-640-part-2.html
4. Offline maps
5. Phone build quality for its price point
6. Removable battery and changeable covers.
7. Glance screen, Double tap to turn on, off (saves power button on long run)

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There's also a nice addition to the 640 (compared to 630): the magnetometer. I've tried to use my 535 for geocaching, OK, it works, but without the magnetomer, it's a lot more difficult. I've seen on the datasheet that the 640 sports a magnetometer, which is very nice.

NafcMontana

May 28, 2014
Visit site
aha... For the price point this phone is killer! Using this phone for past 22 days now. I'm amazed by the overall package of this phone. I used Google Nexus 4 for past 2+ years and this phone beats that phone.

Noticeable good things of this phone are:
1. Sound quality (Sound is good loud and clear, In fact I usually keep volume down to 6 out of 10 because its loud! If you use it in crowded place you can easily hear other person talking by increasing volue.)
2. Battery life. (On android I was charging my phone every day, however with this phone I charge it every 1.5 days sometime 2 days)
3. Some cool features like cortana (I have my blog that talks one feature that surprised me. Check here tushargok.blogspot.in/2015/08/windows-phone-os-lumia-640-part-2.html
4. Offline maps
5. Phone build quality for its price point
6. Removable battery and changeable covers.
7. Glance screen, Double tap to turn on, off (saves power button on long run)

Some of these were the reason I bought the 625 before, exept for Glance and Cortana (not in Belgium yet), I really hate the fact that Android phones usually don't have a good battery and you can't use offline maps, and some Android phones really have a fragile screen, I'm still using the S4 Mini right now and I'm not satisfied with it at all, problem is that I can buy a new Huawei P8 Lite right now for the same price as the 640... I'm still convinced the 640 is better in some ways but still I'm not sure what to buy..

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a 640 AT&T GoPhone. For $60 out the door, why not? :)
Got all my apps that I had gotten back when I had the HTC One M8 Windows phone, or at least the ones I actually wanted to get. Tested them all out and am pleased with how they all work on the phone. Screen is wonderful on this 5" screen, speed is plenty fast enough. And the size fits my hand better than my iPhone 6+.
Most likely it will be my golfing buddy!! Smaller phone fits in the cup holder, the golf gps app on it is great, just have to get a round in to see how it impacts the battery life.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
All things considered, this is the best sub-$100 phone on the market. Bar none.

While this might be a stretch, I have to agree w you, it does what a smartphone needs to do - @ a great price.
It's already the #2 current WinPhones in use!
#1 is the Lumia 635 & the 640 is quantum leaps better.

atkichra

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
If you Snapchat or playclash or boom beach or other games then you'll probably not want the 640. I have one as a backup. It's a great phone for the price. Great battery life good enough camera. Great wp experience, for me it's the apps that I use on my s5 daily that keep me from using this phone as my daily driver. The app experience is bad on wp. They are missing features that they have on ios or android. So to sum it up if you want the wp experience this a great buy.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
If you Snapchat or playclash or boom beach or other games then you'll probably not want the 640. I have one as a backup. It's a great phone for the price. Great battery life good enough camera. Great wp experience, for me it's the apps that I use on my s5 daily that keep me from using this phone as my daily driver. The app experience is bad on wp. They are missing features that they have on ios or android. So to sum it up if you want the wp experience this a great buy.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

This is one thing that really annoys me about WP, Firstly it was lack of apps, now all the major apps are there but lacking features of the iOS and Android versions, for example my bank First Direct is there now however you can't do anything on it other than view your balance.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
While this might be a stretch, I have to agree w you, it does what a smartphone needs to do - @ a great price.
It's already the #2 current WinPhones in use!
#1 is the Lumia 635 & the 640 is quantum leaps better.

It's #2 only in the USA, mate, not worldwide ;)

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
It is well worth it! Very durable for the price I say. I been using mines for a month now and it withstood drops that would normally destroy flagships in a heart beat. I hope the next flagship Windows 10 Mobile device is just as durable.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
problem is that I can buy a new Huawei P8 Lite right now for the same price as the 640... I'm still convinced the 640 is better in some ways but still I'm not sure what to buy..

Where on earth can you get a $250 phone for the same price ($80) as the 640? Please let me know, I'll buy 100 of them and resell them on ebay! I think you might be getting your phones confused?

NafcMontana

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Where on earth can you get a $250 phone for the same price ($80) as the 640? Please let me know, I'll buy 100 of them and resell them on ebay! I think you might be getting your phones confused?

I'm not getting things confused, the P8 Lite is 30 Euros at the same provider where the Lumia 640 is 9 Euros, you need to stay at least one year with that carrier but the price/month for the data plan is the same for both devices, 25 Euros/month :)

Last edited:

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. No band 12 LTE for T-Mobile. Also, if you need wifi calling on T-Mobile it is not available on that phone.

I already got the 640, but I did not know that about the Wi-Fi calling when I was checking out all the options. Very glad I chose the 640, since Wi-Fi calling is kind of a necessity where I'm at (wooded area, walls that block a lot of signals).

I've been working on convincing my parents they'd be happier with Windows phones ever since I got mine 1+ year ago, and my dad played with my 640 last time I was there. That may have won him over. He was really impressed with how light and thin it is and the screen, and that's even with my matte screen protector, which takes away from the sharpness a little. And the price is a big factor on top of that.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I would say that for the specs and the price, it is well worth the money... Especially the AT&T variant at $80. If you are itching for a newer device, or just want to upgrade, the monetary unit to performance value is excellent.

I will state that I use an android as my daily driver, primarily because of one or two apps and the much better camera. Waiting for the next flagship device and hoping for a c camera offering of 16mp or better with Lumia camera software. This is a must. I can deal without the apps.

It was mentioned that one of the best features of WP is the offline maps. Nokia HERE is now available on Android with full offline map capability. However, I have noted that offline maps still functions better on WP. My L520 out performs one of the latest flagship androids.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
It was mentioned that one of the best features of WP is the offline maps. Nokia HERE is now available on Android with full offline map capability. However, I have noted that offline maps still functions better on WP. My L520 out performs one of the latest flagship androids.

But with Lumia 640 you cannot save offline maps to SD card! That is just ridiculous. Unbelievable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)