Microsoft Lumia 640 worth it?

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
But with Lumia 640 you cannot save offline maps to SD card! That is just ridiculous. Unbelievable.

I believe there are still ways to save them to the SD card, search the site. That being said, maps and navigation really don't use much data at all anyways. I don't understand why people somehow think otherwise. I remember I checked my data usage on a 40 mile trip a couple years ago using Google maps and I think it only used like 3 mb of data or something really low like that.

See here as well: https://blog.yourkarma.com/how-much-data-do-my-apps-use

"Google Maps
Google Maps users actually report that it uses surprisingly little data, about 1MB per 10 miles of travel, which gives you a great excuse to take a road trip (without the guilt trip)."

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
perpleSlerp said:
I believe there are still ways to save them to the SD card, search the site. That being said, maps and navigation really don't use much data at all anyways. I don't understand why people somehow think otherwise. I remember I checked my data usage on a 40 mile trip a couple years ago using Google maps and I think it only used like 3 mb of data or something really low like that.

You may want to read this article by HERE then : Offline navigation really matters if 500MB of data costs a week in wages - HERE 360 ;)

bing722

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I bought a 640 to try it out, but I ended up returning it. It's not worth it for me. It's definitely very cheap and works very well as a phone. I really like the texting app and the keyboard. You get a pretty good rear camera for the price and a serviceable front camera. The data speeds and battery life are very good. I like the way the glass feels on the phone.

However, I found the GPS to be unacceptable, I couldn't get my Yahoo Mail to sync after several attempts, my walking app crashed in the background, multiple apps can't really run at the same time, the IE browser is a bit slow, and I really prefer a better unlocking security method than typing in a passcode each time. I also realized that a lot of apps that I like to use are not available in the app store. The versions that are there are often outdated and missing the features of the full versions on Android/iOS.

I really liked my first two Windows Phones, but I had to pass on this one. I'd say it's worth it if you don't care much about missing out on some apps, and if you are relatively light with using them. It's great for texting and calling and has most of the major apps. The operating system works pretty well and is easy to use. If you're a "power user" of cell phones and like to live on the so-called cutting edge of technology, you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

touchblid

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
This, had a similar situation, I would say for what you get at 80$, it's a better package than any current flagship out there. You can buy it with your eyes closed on the hardware. As for the Apps situation, well let's no kid ourselves there, it's windows phone - take it or leave it :)

My 1520 broke the other day after I dropped it screen first on a rock so I bought a 640 as a temporary phone until the new flagship is released and I have to say its a fantastic phone for the money! Can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
It is well worth it! Very durable for the price I say. I been using mines for a month now and it withstood drops that would normally destroy flagships in a heart beat. I hope the next flagship Windows 10 Mobile device is just as durable.

Let's keep it real here. To say it has endured drops that would destroy flagships (you mean every flagship smartphone on the market?) in a heartbeat is not keeping it real, come on, fiend. It's a completely disprovable claim to begin with, plus most flagships are certainly built as good and probably better. No need for hyperbole. Just saying :wink:

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Let's keep it real here. To say it has endured drops that would destroy flagships (you mean every flagship smartphone on the market?) in a heartbeat is not keeping it real, come on, fiend. It's a completely disprovable claim to begin with, plus most flagships are certainly built as good and probably better. No need for hyperbole. Just saying :wink:

How it is a disprovable claim when I done dropped this phone more than a few times WITHOUT a case on solid concrete and on retail store tile with my Lumia 640 only coming out with a few very minor scuffs on the back cover and a small scratch on the screen? Many flagships nowadays being built either out of metal either get severely damaged or even destroyed getting dropped on solid concrete or retail store tile. For a budget phone the Lumia 640 can take a pretty good beating compared to other smartphones on the market that aren't classified as rugged and the swappable back covers and the way it wraps around the phone make the phone last alot more longer than your typical iPhone or Android device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion