I replaced my 640xl's yellow stained screen

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the worst problems facing the Lumina 640xl right now is people who've been cursed with the yellow stained screen. After being unsatisfied with trying unsuccessfully to get the screen replaced either through warranty or even a repair place recommended by Microsoft themselves, I went to eBay. I didn't know what to expect, so I just ordered the cheapest touchscreen replacement I could find.
WP_20150820_18_38_26_Pro.jpg
As it turns out, there are 2 options. You can order the touchscreen, or you can order the touchscreen assembly. The touchscreen assembly appears much easier to deal with, however, I didn't know this. I ordered the cheapest option which is just the touchscreen. Don't do this. Order the touchscreen assembly, if you're brave enough to under take this endeavor.
WP_20150820_18_43_54_Pro.jpg
Ordering the touchscreen assembly prevents the next step:
WP_20150820_19_27_54_Pro.jpg
I didn't have a proper heat pad, which is needed to make the black adhesive at the corners of the screen become sticky tar like substance. I settled for this, and then I then used my CRKT KISS pocket knife to pry the screen from the black plastic frame.
WP_20150820_19_41_31_Rich.jpg
Once I got the screen off, I went ahead and connected everything back together. Because I'm lazy, I didn't bother to find the black adhesive to keep the screen on, so now I have a screen that's not really connected to the frame, but its in. And NO yellow spot!

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you post a link to the eBay seller that you purchased your screen from?
I could, but i wouldn't buy that particular touchscreen. I bought just a touchscreen, and there are sellers that list the touchscreen assembly. it's more expensive, but it is well worth it for avoiding the heating part that i had to do to remove the original touchscreen.

i bought a touchscreen similar to this, though:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...er-Assembly-/271906689571?hash=item3f4ee6d223

I wish I would have bought a touchscreen assembly similar to this, though(note it has the plastic frame with eyelets for attaching the bolts back:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...and-00813P1-/151643669409?hash=item234eaac3a1

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Would you mind walking through all the steps? If I'm following correctly: 1) remove back cover, battery, sim card(s) and microsd card. 2) unscrew the 10 little hex screws (how hard was that?) 3) It looks like there are basically three "layers": a) plastic 'bracket' that holds the sim card(s) and microsd, that looks like your third piece in your second picture b) microchip wafer and c) screen assembly. How hard is it to 'connect' and 'unconnect' the three layers once the screws are out? How does the screen assembly attach to the microchip wafer layer?

I want to do this for my phone, since Microsoft won't fix it under warranty. I am fairly capable with electronics (I built my own PC for example). Just wondering how hard it is. Let me know your thoughts! And I'll definitely take your advice to get the full assembly.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I am fairly capable with electronics (I built my own PC for example). Just wondering how hard it is. Let me know your thoughts! And I'll definitely take your advice to get the full assembly.

Building a PC expertise not equal to separating assembly from the plastic frame !
PC=big
phone=small

removing the screws is the easy part !

always use gloves while touching internals and make sure there is no static on your hands/body !!! (ground your hands/body)

The heating should be uniform and not hot enough to fry the chips attached to the assembly. (there are IC's attached to the display + touch-panel unit).

If you can heat only the part where the glue is, then it would be safe.

Prying it apart is the next hard thing (without breaking the plastic frames, sockets and plugs, without making scratches, etc)

Ultra-Ultimate patience is required for a job like this !

from the pictures it looks like its only display + touch-panel and no frame.

phones nowadays have display and touch-panel glued together as a single unit !

If you get the (display + touch-panel) already-glued-on-to-the-frame-unit then it will be an easy swap !

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Building a PC expertise not equal to separating assembly from the plastic frame !
PC=big
phone=small

removing the screws is the easy part !

always use gloves while touching internals and make sure there is no static on your hands/body !!! (ground your hands/body)

The heating should be uniform and not hot enough to fry the chips attached to the assembly. (there are IC's attached to the display + touch-panel unit).

If you can heat only the part where the glue is, then it would be safe.

Prying it apart is the next hard thing (without breaking the plastic frames, sockets and plugs, without making scratches, etc)

Ultra-Ultimate patience is required for a job like this !

from the pictures it looks like its only display + touch-panel and no frame.

phones nowadays have display and touch-panel glued together as a single unit !

If you get the (display + touch-panel) already-glued-on-to-the-frame-unit then it will be an easy swap !

I bought the screen with the frame already attached. Looks pretty simple. I found a video online of how to completely disassemble the 640. I'll use that as a 'pretty close' reference guide. But it pretty much looks like I remove the screws, pry it apart and disconnect the 'mini cable'. I got a generic screen+assembly+frame off eBay for $55, including tools and shipping. Now I just have to wait for China Express Postal. I'll post pix when I'm done.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I just found a disassembly video for the 640 XL.It now looks much more complicated than I anticipated. It seems that the 'flex' connectors are 'glued' on in certain areas to the metal assembly frame. Am I going to be using a heat element no matter what, in order to complete this repair? I bought the screen that is the equivalent of the one in the second eBay link they provided.

Last edited:

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
In the video below, there are several steps that show peeling the 'flex connectors' off the metal portion of the screen assembly where they are attached by adhesive/glue. Can I re-use these flex connectors or is there some sort of communication connection that they need to have and it requires them to be touching the metal part of the frame with a very solid connection? If I am understanding the video correctly, it looks like the only purpose of them touching the metal casing/frame is just to hold them in place, which shouldn't be a big issue since they will stay in place from being physically clipped in. Or do the flex connectors actually have some sort of communication where they are attached to the metal via adhesive only? (Perhaps for grounding the circuit?)

http://y2u.be/L1kdLtnC9gY

A few hour later and a few more video views, I figured out the answer.it's the OPPOSITE side of the flex connector adhesive areas that needs to be 'pristine'. Now the question is, am I capable of removing those without completely destroying them? The only 'critical' one is the power button one... thinking I might pre-emptively buy that and see how I do with the others. I can survive without speakerphone, headphones and proximity sensor for a few weeks (if need be) while the parts are on order, if I destroy them.

Last edited:

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
. Now the question is, am I capable of removing those without completely destroying them?

when i was looking at those attachments while replacing my screen, they were moving a little as i removed the screen. I don't think the adhesive is that well stuck on. unfortunately, i don't know specifically what adhesive they used to put it on. can you see in the video any specific adhesive?

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
In the video below, there are several steps that show peeling the 'flex connectors' off the metal portion of the screen assembly where they are attached by adhesive/glue. Can I re-use these flex connectors or is there some sort of communication connection that they need to have and it requires them to be touching the metal part of the frame with a very solid connection? If I am understanding the video correctly, it looks like the only purpose of them touching the metal casing/frame is just to hold them in place, which shouldn't be a big issue since they will stay in place from being physically clipped in. Or do the flex connectors actually have some sort of communication where they are attached to the metal via adhesive only? (Perhaps for grounding the circuit?)

You are absolutely right ... they might be for grounding the circuit ... its best to put them back as they were connected before ...
Please don't take wild guesses .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans