Tips about how to avoid noisy images in low light auto mode (Lumia 640 XL)

Sebastian Oviedo

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie to you. At first when I got my Lumia 640 XL I was impressed by the camera, yes, just didn't feel quite satisfied with the quality (always in medium-low light environments I got too much noise in the pictures), then I searched for answers on the internet because it wasn't supposed to be like that (was not even dark and still got much noise) and understood how does everything work in the Lumia Camera app: ISO, shutter speed, etc. After that I downloaded this picture details app and after studying each picture details I discovered that in the auto mode the Lumia Camera app, when not in very well illuminated places, it always decides to increase ISO, waaaay to much. This because higher ISO means higher sensibility to light so it can take pictures very fast and get a not so dark picture (the lower the shutter speed the less time the camera has to capture light, then, as Lumia Camera app always goes for very low shutter speed it decides to increase a lot ISO), but when this happen it SACRIFICES IMAGE QUALITY CREATING NOISE. This I why I decided to create this thread. If you, like me, feel unsatisfied just do this and understand Lumia Camera, it's very easy. When taking a picture in let's say a room with medium light just set your ISO to the lowest, if it gets too dark increase it a bit, but never exaggerate.

Last edited:

s3iryu

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Exactly, Lumia Camera actually made me feel more interested in taking photos.

Here's some tips on reducing noise in low light photos:
Indoors at night - ISO 64-100, shutter speed 1/13 - 1/8 depending on lights
Outdoors at night - Depending on light, ISO 100-200, shutter speed 1/8-4 seconds, slow shutter speed will make your photo blurry unless your hands are super steady or u have a tripod

General guideline, correct me if I'm wrong:
High ISO - More noise, more light captured
Lower ISO - less noise, but less light captured
Faster shutter speed - Less light captured, but can capture higher speed movements, like a bird's flapping wings
Slower Shutter Speed - More light captured, but photos tend to blur due to slow capture speed

Also in a hot sunny day, remember to manually set White Balance to the Daylight(the sun icon) to avoid getting overly warm photos which looks all yellowish/red

Sebastian Oviedo

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Exactly, Lumia Camera actually made me feel more interested in taking photos.

Here's some tips on reducing noise in low light photos:
Indoors at night - ISO 64-100, shutter speed 1/13 - 1/8 depending on lights
Outdoors at night - Depending on light, ISO 100-200, shutter speed 1/8-4 seconds, slow shutter speed will make your photo blurry unless your hands are super steady or u have a tripod

General guideline, correct me if I'm wrong:
High ISO - More noise, more light captured
Lower ISO - less noise, but less light captured
Faster shutter speed - Less light captured, but can capture higher speed movements, like a bird's flapping wings
Slower Shutter Speed - More light captured, but photos tend to blur due to slow capture speed

Also in a hot sunny day, remember to manually set White Balance to the Daylight(the sun icon) to avoid getting overly warm photos which looks all yellowish/red
Actually iI'm about to buy a tripod, I've been chasing lightning bolts this days, just set 4 seconds or less, lowest ISO or a bit more and wait for it. But first I'll need a tripod to do it any where.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
try to compare Lumia Camera 5 and Lumia Camera 4 side by side when shooting in low lights condition, you will be surprised LC4 does better for similar ISO numbers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos