How do I change language settings from Chinese on my brand new Lumia 640 XL?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How do I change language settings from Chinese on my brand new Lumia 640 xl

I can access Settings but all options are in Chinese characters. Anyone out there advise which option I should select and once selected what I need to do?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I change language settings from Chinese on my brand new Lumia 640 xl

Did you get your phone from a friend or did you buy it? In my experience, the very first step in setting up a new phone is to choose a language. If you just powered up your device out of the box, just press on the box that shows the selected language's character or font type. It should present you with a list of languages from which to choose. If you were given the phone and it has already been completely set up in a different language, then you can either use the Translator App's camera option from another Windows (or equivalent) device or search YouTube for how to reset a Lumia 640/640XL and follow along with a video.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I change language settings from Chinese on my brand new Lumia 640 xl

Ha, interesting. when I upgraded my 640XL, international version, to w10mobile 512 it booted in Chinese as well ;)

When I first got the phone what worked was to pop in my ATT Sim card and rebooted. The phone then started in English and rebooted again to set English as default.

Not so with the upgrade to W10. I touched my way around to finally find the language settings.

- Once phone is booted, swipe from bottom down to get the 4 or 5 action items. The one to the very right is All Settings (or bottom right when you have expanded, it's the gear icon).
Tap that.

- Then you tap the Settings menu with the clock and letter A in it, which is 6th one from top.

- Then you tap the second from top. You'll see Chinese in Chinese, tap the line with the + sign to add more languages.

- Now you should see a list with the language you want. You cannot remove the Chinese yet, but you will be after reboot.

- Under the line with the + sign is "restart phone" which may still be in chinese. Tap that and your phone should restart with the correct language.

good luck

and here for WP 8.1, update 2, sorry, not sure why I assumed you got W10 as well ;)

- swipe from top down, bottom right should be the gear for Settings

- go to the 5th section, tap the second line under that, which is language

- tap the + sign at top, pick your language
it will ask you to download language features possibly, yes is left button, no is right button

- tap the rectangular box with text under the line with the + sign to restart the phone

your phone should start in English

Last edited:

001TlBanner

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Thank you sooo much for the help. I was driving myself crazy trying to figure it out. I got all the way to the settings and could not figure out how to reboot it with the correct language. You are a Rock Star!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos