First time Windows Phone.. Regret?

KoewnS

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys,

Some time ago I installed a technical preview of Windows 10 on my desktop. Which was amazing! Especially coming from windows 7. Told all my friends to install it on their pc's and everyone agreed. It was a very nice OS.

Fast forward some months and I'm reading some "rumours" about the "Cityman" or the "950XL". Microsoft's first flagship in some time which runs on Windows 10! Since I like new gadgets I couldn't wait. Something new, something different.

Seeing as the 950XL isn't out yet I decided to buy one of the newer windows phones. The 640 XL LTE Cyan. What a stunner!

Some personal history:
Blackberry bold 9700
Samsung Galaxy S3
Sony Xperia Z2
LG G2 Snapdragon 800

I was very skeptical about two things.

1. Screen resolution.
It's got a pretty big screen(5.7inch) yet the resolution is only 1280x720p. I was crossing my fingers this would be enough.

Snapdragon 400.
Is it going to be fast enough?

There were no problems during setup(8.1 denim update 2). It all went pretty smooth. The screen looked great as well! I was outside in the burning sun and had no problem with visibility(unlike my LG G2/Xperia Z2).
Installed Whatsapp/Instagram BETA/6tag.
Now here is where it goes wrong. The store is very laggy. Downloading and installing Whatsapp took around 3/4 minutes. When I opened whatsapp it showed me a loading screen with some dots. I thought hmm probably first run setup. No biggy. But it turns out that everytime I launch any of the above apps a loading screen pops up for a couple of seconds.
Is this normal? Does it really have to "load" an app like whatsapp?
Sometimes when I unlock my phone it also has to load the start menu.

I've installed windows 10 TP(build 116) with the hope it would get better but unfortunately it didn't. When it had downloaded the upgrade it said installation could take around 10-20 minutes. Eventually it was finished after 50 minutes(Couldve formatted my desktop and reinstalled w10 on that in the meantime!). When it offered me the update to build 512 it also took around an hour to install.

Now seeing as I don't have any experience with windows phone nor the snapdragon 400, I was hoping you guys could tell me your experiences and tell me if this is normal? Are those times normal? Does the loading screen always pop up with every app you open? Is it because of the budget snapdragon 400? Will the 950 XL also have these problems?

Another issue is the very sluggish touchscreen. It is almost impossible to close a tab in Microsoft Edge. Have to click the x at least 10 times no joke! I've googled this issue and the fix seems to be to enable "high touch screen sensitivity". Which is not available on the 640 XL but only on the premium lumia's :S. Any workarounds for this?

I'm sorry for this unorganized wall of text. Just venting some anger at this phone out. I really hope I either have a faulty phone or a hard reset will fix it. Can't wait to hear your guys opinions and experiences with the 640XL/Windows phone.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Look, my sister own 640XL and works just fine + I've 735 which shares a similar hardware S400+1gig ram, and it's more than great!
One thing, WP is the smoothest OS ever, I still use my old friend L720 (the old S4, and 512 ram), and to be honest, you will never believe what that phone is capable to do!

Now your experience seems to be a bad SD card, can you tell me some details about it?
If your SD card is fine, I'd recommend hard reset without restoring your backup

And welcome to Windows Phone Family :)

KoewnS

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Hey Fahmi thanks for your reply.
I don't have a microSD card. It's all running on the 8GB internal drive.
I have done a hard reset without restoring the backup. I think the phone is a little bit faster.

Whatsapp still shows a loading screen but according to this link it is normal for windows phone. There's also some discussion about it on reddit
www .qu ora. com/Why-does-WhatsApp-take-much-longer-to-start-on-a-Windows-phone

And I'm guessing everyone has a slight bit of touch screen delay?
As you can see clearly in the video below when he drags the notification center down his finger is already halfway down the screen and nothing has happened. He then goes up again to try again and then it suddenly draws down.
you tu. be/9FfqtaHw MgE?t=10m13s

I'm hoping it's got to do with the budgetness of the 640XL and that the 950XL won't have these problems.

btw: there are spaces in the links otherwise I couldn't post them.

Eisenhorn76

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to try out a Windows Phone since I was getting bored with my Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus. I find the 640 XL to be an excellent device for the price I paid. The display resolution isn't a big issue at all -- sure my hi-res wallpapers don't look as good but I don't spend too much time looking at the lockscreen. Text looks pretty crisp to me and although multi-tasking is a bit on the sluggish side, it's not bad enough for me to regret my purchase.

On the contrary, it's encouraged me to get the Cityman (950XL) when it arrives. Windows Phone is actually quite a good platform. It just hasn't got much attention from developers but I believe it's getting there.

Incidentally, I'm not having the the same severity of touchscreen issues in the video but maybe I'm just not paying attention (I have 4 smartphones!). Of course, some people are reporting getting burns on the top right of their displays and I've not had that either. It could be that our panels come from different suppliers.

Last edited:

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I see no touch issues either.
The phone is very fast at opening and closing programs. The menu is super fast too, faster than my old androids.
Almost all of chat and social programs I have tried on my 640 xl have this waiting for network, loading, syncing problems... or may be these are features of the OS :eck:
My hope is in WIN 10

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
What I can tell you is that on my 930 I never get any resuming/loading etc.

But what you are experiencing seems bad even for a snapdragon 400...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you've installed Windows 10 Mobile Technical Preview.

And yes, the preview does take quite some time to install, it's a known thing.

As for the sluggishness, yes that's also a known thing. Since you're running preview software, you should expect that the responsiveness and functionality won't be the same as for the release version in a few months time. Performing a hard reset after the upgrade to Windows 10 can help solve some of the performance issues, but there are still downsides to using preview software on your day-to-day device.

Andrey Bond

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
i own Lumia 640 and i am fully satisfied with my purchase. the only thing that bugs me is the hole to the speaker. when te phone is lying on it back, the whole volume of the phone ring is so quite. that is kinda silly why they made this up in this way. that is a regret!

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Compared to my old android(xperia m) lumia 640 is much better and it cost me much less. Things i dont like are
1. Location of the speaker
2. Official Facebook and twitter apps are just not good enough.
3. Wallpapers bleed through only a few tiles as not all them are transparent.
4. Frequent resume and loading screens.
But still happy, as it's expected at this price range.
Hope developers support windows 10 mobile when its ready

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Its a common problem with apps having the "infamous loading and resuming screens" for every device even Lumia 1520.And to prevent that loading and resuming msft introduced splash screen for apps.if there are no splash screens even hello world app would show that loading screen.

You would have really appreciated windows phone during 8.0 days(buttery smooth no lag even on my Lumia 520) not 8.1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Edge is a very poorly done browser.
Clicking boxes and x's is often ignored not just on your phone but on mine and on the W10 desktop app as well.
Happens EVERYWHERE in Edge.

Somewhere I think there are instructions on how to dump Edge over the edge and into the water and install IE if you wish to use it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Your problem is Windows 10 Mobile Preview. Windows 8.1 runs faster.
Let's hope Windows 10 Mobile release version doesn't run like the preview.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Why does windows 10 mobile have such a big file size compared to android and ios. I read that its around 5gb.

My guess is because it's the full operating system that your pc would run. And hence why continuum will work and hence why mobile Cisc architecture could give you a full blown pc in the future.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
WHAT WHAT WHAT?

Since when can W10 run android apps?

I would think that would be the biggest news of the Century.

============

Where have you been? People have been loading android apps for a while now. I had flipp running on mine but I decided to remove it anyways. I don't trust the free android app sites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,

Some time ago I installed a technical preview of Windows 10 on my desktop. Which was amazing! Especially coming from windows 7. Told all my friends to install it on their pc's and everyone agreed. It was a very nice OS.

Fast forward some months and I'm reading some "rumours" about the "Cityman" or the "950XL". Microsoft's first flagship in some time which runs on Windows 10! Since I like new gadgets I couldn't wait. Something new, something different.

Seeing as the 950XL isn't out yet I decided to buy one of the newer windows phones. The 640 XL LTE Cyan. What a stunner!

Some personal history:
Blackberry bold 9700
Samsung Galaxy S3
Sony Xperia Z2
LG G2 Snapdragon 800

I was very skeptical about two things.

1. Screen resolution.
It's got a pretty big screen(5.7inch) yet the resolution is only 1280x720p. I was crossing my fingers this would be enough.

Snapdragon 400.
Is it going to be fast enough?

There were no problems during setup(8.1 denim update 2). It all went pretty smooth. The screen looked great as well! I was outside in the burning sun and had no problem with visibility(unlike my LG G2/Xperia Z2).
Installed Whatsapp/Instagram BETA/6tag.
Now here is where it goes wrong. The store is very laggy. Downloading and installing Whatsapp took around 3/4 minutes. When I opened whatsapp it showed me a loading screen with some dots. I thought hmm probably first run setup. No biggy. But it turns out that everytime I launch any of the above apps a loading screen pops up for a couple of seconds.
Is this normal? Does it really have to "load" an app like whatsapp?
Sometimes when I unlock my phone it also has to load the start menu.

I've installed windows 10 TP(build 116) with the hope it would get better but unfortunately it didn't. When it had downloaded the upgrade it said installation could take around 10-20 minutes. Eventually it was finished after 50 minutes(Couldve formatted my desktop and reinstalled w10 on that in the meantime!). When it offered me the update to build 512 it also took around an hour to install.

Now seeing as I don't have any experience with windows phone nor the snapdragon 400, I was hoping you guys could tell me your experiences and tell me if this is normal? Are those times normal? Does the loading screen always pop up with every app you open? Is it because of the budget snapdragon 400? Will the 950 XL also have these problems?

Another issue is the very sluggish touchscreen. It is almost impossible to close a tab in Microsoft Edge. Have to click the x at least 10 times no joke! I've googled this issue and the fix seems to be to enable "high touch screen sensitivity". Which is not available on the 640 XL but only on the premium lumia's :S. Any workarounds for this?

I'm sorry for this unorganized wall of text. Just venting some anger at this phone out. I really hope I either have a faulty phone or a hard reset will fix it. Can't wait to hear your guys opinions and experiences with the 640XL/Windows phone.

Factory reset after installing previews. Usually fixes many issues.

And don't restore any backups.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Where have you been? People have been loading android apps for a while now. I had flipp running on mine but I decided to remove it anyways. I don't trust the free android app sites.
Yeah but it doesn't run them natively and I doubt that's what the size of the OS is about.

EDIT: hey, I might be wrong here. I assumed the Project Astoria thing was an emulator, but maybe it isn't? Maybe I haven't kept up enough...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb