Not too worried about Win10M on 1520.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
As i mentioned in a post elsewhere here, the 1520 is the greatest mobile device ever created (apart from the Nokia 3330), its not perfect, no phone ever is.. but its damn close, however, Im not sure if Im that worried about my 1520 not being upgraded to W10M, but if you do want it, its available to all if you register on Windowes Insider.

Heres why (my personnal opinions):

The Windows app store will continue to support all windows phones running 8.1 including the 1520 for at least a year yet because some people may not want Win10M, like me they may like 8.1, it'll take months to roll out, plus... on release... these OS upgrades are often broken, So MS have to cater for all of us :)

We now have Win10 FREE on our PCs, with the start menu now looking like a phone and its not that different to 8.1 really,

IMO, Denim is pretty great and very stable in its official MS form and runs nicely.

Im seeing alot of posts from folks worrying about older Lumias not supporting W10M, but IMO, people shouldnt worry at the moment, the 1520 will have plenty of support and apps for at least a year yet.

And if it doesnt... Who cares, so Why worry, the 950s will be out soon.... Just enjoy your 1520

Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm really hesitant to install win10 on my L1520 because win10 screwed up my SP3 when I rolled back to 8.1 (metro apps close to the task and apps in the win store show as a plain square ect ect) so there is no way I wanna install that on my perfectly working L1520...

Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm really hesitant to install win10 on my L1520 because win10 screwed up my SP3 when I rolled back to 8.1 (metro apps close to the task and apps in the win store show as a plain square ect ect) so there is no way I wanna install that on my perfectly working L1520...

I understand. My biggest fear is that performance will be degraded, or something else will occur that would make me regret taking the update. I may change my mind later, but I want to be damn sure.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
W10 has been buggy. Performance is great. I think battery life is improved. It's crazy how long my battery lasts. Having some random system restarts and a few other bugs. Using it on my daily driver though and have no big complaints. Just take the bugs as part of the cost of getting it early. Looks a little more Android than 8.1 but I don't mind as I liked Android as well. I think the prevue window ends October first so I'd join and install late September if you want the latest build as early as possible.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I did have a freeze once that caused me to have to restore with Lumia software and roll back to 8.1. Quickly upgraded again to 10. It's easy enough to do so I'm not worried at all. Everything is well backed up so a clean wipe and re-install is quick and easy.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 with 8.1(Denim) that does everything I would ever want a phone to be able to do. Cortana answers me when I speak her name, schedules and reminds me of my schedule and will wake me up. Sending texts hands free has never been easier. It took quite a while to get the 8.1 xbox music right ...now the live tile works with the art for the artist now playing showing up all the time and with the old music hub tile pinned I also get art there in the live tile and I can even pick the art using MPATool. Music is one of my main pleasures with phone and having this right is very important to me and a lot of other people. The new Groove music app is as trouble ridden as xbox was when it first came out (do we remember that?) and I have no intention of going thru that crap again). Anything less than what I already have on the 1520 now and I see no possible motivation to change

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've just reverted my phone from W10M (the technical preview, obviously) to W8.1 and what JOY!

I'd forgotten how great it is to use. W10M is crude and clunky in comparison (although I can't judge what the proper release version will be like). All the sophisticated graphics, animations and design language have disappeared, and frankly it looks remarkably like Android. The "pivot" is MASSIVELY better than that hideous hamburger menu, especially when there seems to be no consistency amongst app developers whether to put stuff behind the hamburger menu or the '...' menu.

Unfortunately I can't use the phone because it's suffering from the microphone problem reported in another thread. The mic works for apps like Voice Recorder, but won't work on a call or for Cortana. You can use a Bluetooth headset, or put the phone into loudspeaking mode, as a temporary workaround.

Essentially it's bricked, unless Microsoft can come up with a solution. :-(

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
W10 has been buggy. Performance is great. I think battery life is improved. It's crazy how long my battery lasts. Having some random system restarts and a few other bugs. Using it on my daily driver though and have no big complaints. Just take the bugs as part of the cost of getting it early. Looks a little more Android than 8.1 but I don't mind as I liked Android as well. I think the prevue window ends October first so I'd join and install late September if you want the latest build as early as possible.

Interesting post, but ive always felt that one thing denim lacks is a Ringer on/off toggle in Notifications... Does 10M have one?.

Nice to hear everyones opinions and nice to know others and liking Denims stability as much as myself. After seeing its Android-esque similarities in 10M, doesnt bode well for me personally. Ive never had much luck with Android phones (apart from HTCs Sense.. which i like) and I can understand MS wanting to attract more buyers with 1oMs reworked UI, but it would be nice to stay individual too, Even Apple in IOS 9 are leaning the Android looks.

Lets just hope we keep our individuality and MS dont get too green eyed with Android :)

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The phone is easy to take apart, and eBay has the part you need:

I think you misunderstand (unless I do). There is no hardware fault: the microphone works perfectly EXCEPT on normal phone calls. To be specific, the microphone works in apps like Voice Recorder. It also works when the phone is used on a call in loudspeaking mode, but in "normal" mode (holding the phone to your ear) it doesn't. Bearing in mind it's exactly the same microphone, on the same phone call, it's a great mystery! It also doesn't work in Cortana.

I think there's a bug in the latest firmware, but of course I cannot prove that. As it is, the phone has been rendered almost valueless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720