Negative screen issues - Lumia 640

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if this should be part of the Bugs thread for the 640, but I also have a question too.

The "negative" screen issue keeps coming up. I realized that it is a hardware problem (I tried taking a screenshot of it, but it didn't show in the screenshot). I'm debating if I should consider sending it in for repair. Before today, it was only an occasional thing. Now, it has happened more than once today. If I send it in and they can't duplicate the issue (it would be a hard thing to duplicate, I think), what would happen? Will they send my phone back to me or will it be looked into?

Also, is it something that I should be really concerned about? I'm not sure what would be the best course of action. I have tried searching the Microsoft answers threads to see if anyone has had a similar issue and if they ended up sending it in after all.

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
think this is the readability setting. changes color depending on the light. it just not seeing the light right i guess sometimes to do that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
yea me too facing the same problem....i thing windows 10 update would solve it ..
I hope so! It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen enough to have some concern.

@James : In my experience, it usually happens when I randomly tap the phone, it doesn't happen when I'm using it. Just on standby only.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
There may be some kind of siplay bugs in WP8.1, lots of 930 have some tint and flickering, my 735 flickers often, but when I had W10M it didn't. And now this with 640.
I really hope it is some kind of bug.

PeterMikePL

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if this should be part of the Bugs thread for the 640, but I also have a question too.

The "negative" screen issue keeps coming up. I realized that it is a hardware problem (I tried taking a screenshot of it, but it didn't show in the screenshot). I'm debating if I should consider sending it in for repair. Before today, it was only an occasional thing. Now, it has happened more than once today. If I send it in and they can't duplicate the issue (it would be a hard thing to duplicate, I think), what would happen? Will they send my phone back to me or will it be looked into?

Also, is it something that I should be really concerned about? I'm not sure what would be the best course of action. I have tried searching the Microsoft answers threads to see if anyone has had a similar issue and if they ended up sending it in after all.

Did you finally sent your Lumia to repair? Have you still this screen issue present?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Did you finally sent your Lumia to repair? Have you still this screen issue present?
I did not. It hasn't happened as much since then but it still happens. I think I will when I have another phone to use. If I was to send it in, I'll be without a phone.

I could buy a phone now and then send it in, but then I'll like to buy the 550, which is said to be coming out in December. Not sure what I'll do with 3 phones. I'll have to figure something out.

Last edited:

PeterMikePL

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I have L1520 over the year and I noticed that I used to use old Nokia 206 for calls and L1520 for other internet stuff. I don't want carry with me two phones - L1520 needs extra extended pockets.
I've bought L640 and... this phone really did the trick. Now i have only one phone with me all the time, battery is great (not so great as it is in 1520 but here we have smaller capacity so it is obvious). I notice that battery drain over-night is simillar about 2-4% per 8h. I started like this phone but one disadvantage is screen behawior - so far it happened to me once but I did read almost all threads here and it doesn't sounds good for future.
I really hope it is only software bug... but I guess even Microsoft don't know why it is happened.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have L1520 over the year and I noticed that I used to use old Nokia 206 for calls and L1520 for other internet stuff. I don't want carry with me two phones - L1520 needs extra extended pockets.
I've bought L640 and... this phone really did the trick. Now i have only one phone with me all the time, battery is great (not so great as it is in 1520 but here we have smaller capacity so it is obvious). I notice that battery drain over-night is simillar about 2-4% per 8h. I started like this phone but one disadvantage is screen behawior - so far it happened to me once but I did read almost all threads here and it doesn't sounds good for future.
I really hope it is only software bug... but I guess even Microsoft don't know why it is happened.
When you say screen behavior, do you mean this same issue or another one? I have noticed that some people have had the same issue as me, but others didn't. My dad has the same phone and as far as I know, this hasn't happened to him.

PeterMikePL

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I mean something like this:
answers.microsoft.com/pl-pl/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdtips/zmienione-kolory-lumia-640-lte/6d128ac1-55b8-4b64-92b3-446b6788f114

Colors may vary on the screen is red but in my case it was pink.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Weirdly enough, after posting here, it happened again. I need to send it in. I could get a 435 for cheap, but then I would miss Glance. I don't want to do Android. Tempted to get a 532, use it until I get my phone back, and then send that one to be traded in via amazon, just so I can have glance.

PeterMikePL

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
If this happened rarely then Nokia/MS Care could have problems with reproduce this issue, and without repair they may send you your phone with only reinstalled WP.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If this happened rarely then Nokia/MS Care could have problems with reproduce this issue, and without repair they may send you your phone with only reinstalled WP.
That's what I fear. It happens on a very random basis. Before yesterday, it happened a few weeks before. There was also a time when it happened 2x in one week, more than once at that too.

PeterMikePL

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
That's what I fear. It happens on a very random basis. Before yesterday, it happened a few weeks before. There was also a time when it happened 2x in one week, more than once at that too.

I don't know but maybe a good idea would be record on your camera short movie when you meet this issue again and send it with phone to them?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My phone is on it's way to Microsoft. They covered shipping so I didn't have to pay for anything. I will update when I get it back, which will probably be around the beginning of December :cry:

Edit: I forgot to note that while making a repair request, there is a line that asks how often the issue happens. We'll see how this goes.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I got my phone back yesterday. I have to give props to Microsoft for their fast shipping. That aside, so far so good. I'm not sure if it is too early to tell but they did say that they fixed it. I hope that it is actually fixed because I really missed my phone. So much.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for update libra.
Do you know what codes they wrote on your warranty card - what have been fixed/replaced by Microsoft Care?
The only code I see under "fault" is 630 on the delivery note, which says repaired. I don't really know what that means though but I hope it helps.

I also see a product code but I don't know if that is unique to my phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss