How To: Flash ATT Lumia 830 (RM-983) with 8.1 Update 2 and Proper Denim

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincykid76

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
This is so awesome, I just completed this install and so far everything seems to be a success and on point. Special thanks to all involved, its people like you that make this a great community to be a part of! Happy, Happy , Happy ( long overdue with this device)...Thanks again !

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
carriers have history of holding back updates until after their next slew of phones are released so many features on the new phones look fresh and new. i'm guessing this update 2 and windows 10 will roll out to their old phones 4-8 weeks after the 950 phones are released.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
carriers have history of holding back updates until after their next slew of phones are released so many features on the new phones look fresh and new. i'm guessing this update 2 and windows 10 will roll out to their old phones 4-8 weeks after the 950 phones are released.

As true as this could be, it's frustrating since features were kind of broken for a bit, and AT&T just seemed to not care. If it were a Galaxy S # or LG G# you know it would have had its needed update within days at most.

sbtpdx

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
The level of help you folks are providing is amazing. I'm normally reluctant to use anything not officially pushed out. But given that this update WAS published by the carrier (however briefly), I'm leaning toward giving it a try. Could someone who has gone this route answer a couple of basic questions?

1. About how long should the process take (not counting the installation of NCS)?

2. If the process fails, I should be able to use the recovery tool to roll back to the current (albeit incomplete) firmware... right? I don't have a backup cell phone, so bricking would be an expensive & time-sucking problem.

Or perhaps a Nervous Nelly like me is better off continuing to wait for AT&T to get off its backside & issue an OTA update? It's "only" been 11 months, right? 😠

Thanks again to all of you for staying on top of this, and for all the help you are providing!

cincykid76

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The level of help you folks are providing is amazing. I'm normally reluctant to use anything not officially pushed out. But given that this update WAS published by the carrier (however briefly), I'm leaning toward giving it a try. Could someone who has gone this route answer a couple of basic questions?

1. About how long should the process take (not counting the installation of NCS)?

2. If the process fails, I should be able to use the recovery tool to roll back to the current (albeit incomplete) firmware... right? I don't have a backup cell phone, so bricking would be an expensive & time-sucking problem.

Or perhaps a Nervous Nelly like me is better off continuing to wait for AT&T to get off its backside & issue an OTA update? It's "only" been 11 months, right? 😠

Thanks again to all of you for staying on top of this, and for all the help you are providing!

1. Not long at all... Maybe 30 minutes. I did a backup and after I flashed the new firmware I did a hard reset and restored from the backup. Everything went perfectly fine and everything seems to be in great working order.

2. I could only assume so... I can't give a definite answer here, but I don't see why not. I will let someone else with more knowledge take the floor here...

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you could use the WPRT to revert back to the rom that is currently available on the server. However, "fail" could also mean you bricked your phone and it may not boot at all. This can happen when the flash process is interrupted or flashed with a corrupt rom. The chances of that happening are tiny though and you see from previous posts that nobody has reported a failed flash yet. For example, MS has updated the WPRT a few months ago to revive even non-booting Lumias after a bad W10M upgrade (had this happen to a L520). I don't want to blow this out of proportion, but even though chances are slim it is still something that has to be mentioned as a possibility.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
For those who restore from a backup, does it restore app data? I'm primarily thinking about Microsoft Authenticator two-factor keys, and less so, game saves.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
For those who restore from a backup, does it restore app data? I'm primarily thinking about Microsoft Authenticator two-factor keys, and less so, game saves.
no, you will have to re-establish your authentication keys after a restore (I have 5 of them and it got to a routine redoing them). I do not know about game saves, but I am pessimistic it will restore those.

(unless you have your phone interop unlocked, in which case you can save app isolated storage using AppData Manager, but that is another story.)

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've read this entire thread, a little confused. I don't have Nokia Care or recovery tool on my 830. Are the instructions in posts 1 and 18 current? Are they mutually exclusive methods? Is one easier than the other? Thanks for all the help. ATT sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've read this entire thread, a little confused. I don't have Nokia Care or recovery tool on my 830. Are the instructions in posts 1 and 18 current? Are they mutually exclusive methods? Is one easier than the other? Thanks for all the help. ATT sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
you use one or the other (hence I wrote "alternative").

I can only speak for the one in the OP as that is one I've used in the past many times. You will need Nokia Care Suite for that (there is no need for WPRT here). There are many steps listed, however many of them are fairly obvious (creating folders etc. ) and are really not difficult. Once the files are in the folder it's only a few steps to get the NCS to flash your phone.

good luck

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I worked out why they didn't release it... AT&T set the default IE home page to Yahoo. And Microsoft wanted it to be MSN. Stalemate.

Can't find a way to change the default page either, not that you see it often...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)