How To: Flash ATT Lumia 830 (RM-983) with 8.1 Update 2 and Proper Denim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Sharp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to everyone involved in this. My 830 is so much happier. Camera 5 is excellent, audio no longer skips over Bluetooth, and 24 hours in I've yet to have any OS lag that had become ever-present after the last OTA "update"

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what browser you are using. The links to the files, including NCS is on the first post at bottom. Am I missing something?

Nope, they are there, and have been since day 1..... not sure why he can't see them.

small update, no issues since the factory reset after upgrading to this build and then restoring my data. Voice recognition in my car has been 100% (Alpine Iva-w505 and KCE-400BT), as opposed to the randomness of it previously. (sometimes it wouldn't understand, not hear me, or hear me perfectly and looking at the screen watch it change from what I said to "No, No. No" just like I typed it) Also streamed, via miracast, for almost 40 minutes yesterday with ZERO quality drops, pixellation or disconnects. Used Netflix, Crunchyroll and a few others. Considering I use a Playstation TV (no netflix) in the bedroom, this is a welcome addition.

The 830 SHOULD have received this instantly, but guessing AT&T was hoping its issues would be enough for people to grab a 640XL instead. That mentality lost it a few customers in the previous thread alone, as well as people no longer going the contract route for a new phone.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Please don't hate me for this too much...
First let me say that I really, really want to do this. However, that part of me that has been through all the various forms of IT security training, etc. is having a difficult time accepting that files from an unofficial source are going to be completely safe. Am I crazy to think that way? Can anyone help me overcome my doubts? I really would love to stick my proverbial thumb in AT&T's proverbial eye.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
First let me say that I really, really want to do this. However, that part of me that has been through all the various forms of IT security training, etc. is having a difficult time accepting that files from an unofficial source are going to be completely safe. Am I crazy to think that way? Can anyone help me overcome my doubts? I really would love to stick my proverbial thumb in AT&T's proverbial eye.

I CAN ANSWER THIS!!!
I worked IT and Network support for almost a decade at a large Police Dept (south east cost is all I am willing to say as to where) , so I understand your concerns. Random roms can sneak random crap onto your stuff. It's a HUGE issue with Android Devices.

Now, here are some positives.

No other "roms" are available for the AT&T 830. If that wasn't the case, we would have had the issues fixed months ago! All other 830 variant roms don't work, and well, I haven't bothered with custom roms on windows phone since Windows Mobile 6.5! How many Lumia "rom" files are out there (any lumia) that are NOT 100% authentic from MS/Nokia? Things that barely or didn't work at all now work. Bluetooth, wifi, netflix, etc.

This is sourced from MS own servers from the time it was available. This has happened before, where an update gets pushed and then pulled within hours, but I've never seen it happen for a Windows Phone. Now, unfortunately, you have to take this on our word only. It appeared for less than 12 hours via windows phone repair tool, and that is where the files are pulled from. From the previous thread, there were a few of us that tried every which way to find a way to get all this working and pfranceschi just got lucky when he went to restore his phone and was awesome enough to let us know. Like I said, no other 830 rom works for the AT&T 830, so why not try it? if you still feel paranoid about it, you can just use WPRT to take it back to the craptastic at&T shipping firmware.

Pretty sure you and I aren't the only IT professionals in this thread, so if there was an issue, it would have popped up by now.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site

For consumer tools like WPRT and NCS, the ffu image file must be signed. So, it would be almost impossible to flash a malicious (not from Microsoft/Nokia) ffu image file.

OEM Home | Windows Phone Hardware Development

Microsoft.com said:
You must cryptographically sign an FFU image before you can deploy it to a phone. This step is required to help prevent tampering and malicious attacks. You can only flash images to a Windows Phone after they are properly signed.
Before images can be shipped on a retail phone, they must be signed by Microsoft.

This feature is great for peace of mind, but makes any homebrew Windows Phone ROMs impossible.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
And Oryan_Dunn FTW with an awesome followup that I was too lazy to look up (considering I am at work right now)

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys! (and I mean that in a completely non-gender specific kind of way - just in case) I appreciate the time and effort you took to address my concerns.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
According to the AT&T guy as posted by NoMacDroid in the old thread,
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/345051-20.htm#post3210876
NoMacDroid said:
After mailing AT&T notice of my intent to submit a claim for binding arbitration I got a phone call today from Executive Appeals. He claimed that they do in fact intend to release Denim for their 830, but have had technical difficulties because their 830 is different from other models (which is true). They do not have a release date yet, but maybe as soon as two weeks. He said what needs to happen is: 1) Technical gets the update to work on their network

Since this particular guy seemed to be the most accurate of the AT&T reps so far, I'm wondering if his reasoning was correct as well. To those that have installed this update, have you noticed any network performance issues?

Assuming this guy was correct, it's possible the update that temporarily pushed was an update that wasn't intended to be released, and another update is being tested. This would make some sense since the build date is 4 months old. It would also make some sense for AT&T to not bother retesting an 8.1 build with Win10 just around the corner. If that is their thinking, then the AT&T 830 Windows 10 Mobile update should (to save some face for AT&T) be one of the first out the door.

Ultimately, this doesn't excuse the 830 shipping with pre-Denim firmware in the first place, but I think that was entirely on Microsoft's shoulders.

Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
considering excuses given and the build date, I think was was released was the update MS handed AT&T, minus any additional AT&T customizations. even the AT&T apps seem like the same ones that initially shipped with the phone.

with that said, I have had nothing but improvements after a hard reset after the initial installation of this update. This includes improved signal strength (where I live, LTE is available on the outskirts of town, not IN town) but when I head into Vegas this weekend, I'll check my LTE performance.

Wonder if NoMacDroid heard anything else since then?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Since this particular guy seemed to be the most accurate of the AT&T reps so far, I'm wondering if his reasoning was correct as well.
"most accurate" is pure speculation in my opinion and that puts it on the same level as everything else we heard from ATT. I think we all agree that ATT should have handled this much better. Maybe OTA doesn't work for the RM-983 but flashing does.

But, I don't think it's a good idea to start this discussion all over again unless we see some action from ATT.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm still debating whether or not to try flashing this on my 830. I really wanted the Denim update earlier this summer and have since gotten used to AT&T's stupidity and not having the update. But at this point I might wait a little longer to see if it's officially released or see what October brings.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm still debating whether or not to try flashing this on my 830. I really wanted the Denim update earlier this summer and have since gotten used to AT&T's stupidity and not having the update. But at this point I might wait a little longer to see if it's officially released or see what October brings.
by now, I see no reason to rush to this update, but at the same time, unless you plan to buy a new phone, realize that there is a good chance you won't get Windows 10 immediately. You'll still be at AT&T's mercy, as they still get to choose when to release it, if ever. The pro's outweigh any cons with the update we have here. Hell, we don't even know if they'll release update 2, despite leaking it via wprt.

akiebuz

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I was able to download using the WPRT and had no problems. One side effect to warn everyone about - you will lose your ability to use Call Forwarding.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I was able to download using the WPRT and had no problems. One side effect to warn everyone about - you will lose your ability to use Call Forwarding.

Hmm, you are right. The call+ app seems to spaz out. Luckily I don't use that feature.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
don't know. seems as if it is having an issue pulling settings from the sim. I rarely ever get more than a call a day, much less 2 at the same time, so i don't know if it'll work or not.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Cricket, and that Calls+ app has never worked right. It just flickers constantly. I think call forwarding settings can be changed by calling a special phone number.

Edit: now that I've opened the app, I've somehow set to forward all calls. Gah...

Edit 2: somehow got it fixed. I wish I could uninstall those settings apps somehow...

Edit 3: From the reviews, I'm not the only one who has issues with that app:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/apps/Calls/9NBLGGH2J17T
I doubt the troubles with Calls+ are due to this new update 2.

Last edited:

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
hmm... wonder if the last calls+ update broke it.

Possible issue to add to the OP?
It's broken for me (and has been for some time if memory serves), and I've not applied update 2, still on half denim. IOW, I don't think this full denim update broke it.

I just checked with a co-worker who has a Cricket Lumia 640 (has full denim and update 2), and his phone didn't even have the Calls+ settings app installed.

Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
but you have an AT&T lumia on cricket, so that makes sense. I have an AT&T 830 on AT&T, and it's not working. granted, i am using a chopped up to fit sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos