Nokia Lumia 930 From Hong Kong... o.O

ShakedBenratzon

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just purchase Nokia Lumia 930 from EBAY

I would like to know a few things:
1. is there a problem that I should worry about because I purchase the device from Hong Kong therefore what about Update Firmware OTA and other updates
2. Do I need to change anything when I first load the phone I want to get update from the fastest way I could and not like with my lumia 920 phone carrier that I waited more than the average.
3. How I could know if the phone is new or old stock (came out from the manufacture factory lately and so on...
4. Anything else that I should notice or do after I get my phone ?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1. Depends on where you are. If you're in Europe (or a country where the same sort of commerce laws apply), your customs will very likely charge you the due import taxes and VAT before delivering you the phone. That's the major problem you should eventually worry about.
As for updates, your phone will likely come with the Hong Kong regional firmware and you'll receive the updates accordingly. You can flash another firmware to your phone but it will likely void your warranty so you may want to avoid that.

2. You may have to change the language from Chinese to English. As for the carrier stuff, the phone should not be attached to a carrier so you'll receive updates when Microsoft releases them for the Hong Kong software variant. The easiest way to go around this, of course, is joining the Developer Preview program or the Windows Insider (in case you want to put Windows Phone 10 on the phone already, though I don't recommend it).

3. In settings, go to "extras+info" and you'll have there all the dates. HOWEVER, notice that Microsoft has already discontinued the Nokia 930 (along with all the "Nokia" branded Lumias) a few months ago so your phone will already be "old stock" as no new stock has been produced in months.

4. Not that I can think of.

ShakedBenratzon

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the answers

Do you think I should change my firmware regional ?? is it safe/easy process ?

Also If I change my firmware regional which country I should choose because I want to get the fastest updates as I can and I know most of the time some countries get the update before other countries

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you think I should change my firmware regional ?? is it safe/easy process ?

Also If I change my firmware regional which country I should choose because I want to get the fastest updates as I can and I know most of the time some countries get the update before other countries

It's not particularly hard if you have the appropriate tools (do a search here in the Forums, you'll find many tutorials) but if you don't have experience doing it, you may want to not do it.

As for "which firmware" I can't really say. There's a very considerable change in the way things work on Windows Phone since Nokia left and Microsoft took over the software support. First the "software+firmware" update system seems to be over. It will all come bundled now.
When Nokia was in charge, updates normally rolled out first in Scandinavia because, well, Nokia is a Finnish company.
However, Microsoft has practically shut down Microsoft Mobile and most of the development was moved to Redmond. So I wouldn't be surprised if, just like everything Microsoft does, in the future the updates would be US-first.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I basically agree but but I do not think US will get the first "updates" in the future because.
1 "Most" phones in the US are carrier "locked". And carriers are "know" for there slow release.
2 With windows 10 the plan is (as far as I know) that the updating should be "work wide" iso region based but some devices should get it earlier than other devices.

And if you flash it to a region it would be useful if you can "read" the languages because after a hard reset it will start up with this language.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what country you live in, but I bought the HK one from expansys-USA and it works fine on AT&T. I just changed the language/region to US and have been enjoying it without issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss