Three UK tethering and Windows 10 Insider Preview, how can I do it?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Three UK tethering and Windows 10 Insider Preview

Hi everybody I installed build 10166 on my 925 a while back and Three would always say I'm tethering and block my data connection. I've never had this issue on 8.1 (apart from the WC app bug). It made the phone unusable when I was out and about so I had to got through the process of rolling back to 8.1. I was wondering if anyone on Three UK that has a plan where tethering is blocked has installed the latest build. I would really like to test it but being without a data connection is obviously a massive issue.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I would like to try the insider preview on my Lumia 920 with Three UK. However, I also had trouble with the WP8.1 developer preview and I fully expect the same (worse?) problems with the Windows Mobile 10 preview.Now that the near-RTM version is available, can anyone advise if Three UK are still reading this as a tethered handset and blocking data connections? I would also like to buy a Lumia 950, but I really don't want to change provider to do so, as I have a really cheap unlimited data SIM. Thanks in advance for any advise or comments.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I would like to try the insider preview on my Lumia 920 with Three UK. However, I also had trouble with the WP8.1 developer preview and I fully expect the same (worse?) problems with the Windows Mobile 10 preview.Now that the near-RTM version is available, can anyone advise if Three UK are still reading this as a tethered handset and blocking data connections? I would also like to buy a Lumia 950, but I really don't want to change provider to do so, as I have a really cheap unlimited data SIM. Thanks in advance for any advise or comments.

I did use my L920 on the preview builds and it was not registering as a tethered device on Three.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply TestFreak1. I guess I'll have to try the preview on my L920 and see what happens!

I don't suppose you could confirm what build you have installed, or whether you are allowed to tether on your Three contract? I have a legacy One Plan SIM only, so I have unlimited data, but tethering is explicitly blocked.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I need this too. Three told me on Twitter that as Windows 10 wasn't out officially (at the time) they could not guarantee support. I have a Lumia 930 that I will attempt to flash to Windows 10 to test this for you.

Edit: Tethering is explicitly blocked on my account so this test will be closer to your needs.

Edit 2: Bad news, at least on the Slow ring, the internet is still blocked on Microsoft Edge. Am currently checking the Fast ring to see if that helps.

Edit 3: Yep, even on Fast ring it's still doing it.

Edit 4: Your internet gets blocked as soon as it turns on, even if you don't open the browser. It seems Three blocks it at an OS level.

Last edited:

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for testing that Daniel - wasn't looking forward to testing and the inevitable reflashing! I've asked Three if there is any way I can prove to them that I am not tethering, but it was a flat 'nope'. Since Three are not even going to carry the L950/XL I guess we have to wait for them to push updates to their old handsets after it goes RTM. Not too impressed, since Three always used to be fairly friendly to users doing odd things with their phones.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for testing that Daniel - wasn't looking forward to testing and the inevitable reflashing! I've asked Three if there is any way I can prove to them that I am not tethering, but it was a flat 'nope'. Since Three are not even going to carry the L950/XL I guess we have to wait for them to push updates to their old handsets after it goes RTM. Not too impressed, since Three always used to be fairly friendly to users doing odd things with their phones.

I've also tweeted out to them. I find this embarrassing that W10 mobile is so close to RTM and we're still getting blocked from accessing the internet... What happens if we get an actual Windows 10 phone that is blocked from accessing the internet? Having to hold off on my Lumia 950 dual-SIM because of this...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Northernpipeman, I urge you to get in touch with Three support through their web contact form. You can find it here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Support%2FSocialMediaContactUs&token=WGoq2Cra

I contacted them explaining my situation about Windows 10 mobile being flagged as tethering and therefore blocking my internet, this was the response I received.
Three Customer Support said:
Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble using your phone data recently. I can imagine how frustrating this would be especially when you're receiving a tethering block which is stopping you from using data.

I've gone ahead and added your details to our tethering block removal list, so hopefully, this will be sorted within the next 72 hours. Can you please take a few minutes to let me know how you've got on after the weekend? Just to make sure it's definitely resolved or if not, we'll investigate this further.

If there's anything else we can do from here in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,

(CS rep name, blanked out for privacy)
Social Media Care Advisor

I selected Complaint about Three products, services, or customer service as my reason for contacting them. Might be worth a shot I guess?

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Three UK tethering and Windows 10 Insider Preview

I've also been having this issue on W10M on my 925. It's very, very frustrating that this is still the case on build 10586. I was hoping this would be resolved by now, as I've pre-ordered a 950 which should arrive next week, but alas the issue still persists. I'll take your advice Daniel, and contact Three, hopefully they can sort this mess out soon?.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Daniel - I have tried this once already, but with your example of good support I might actually get it fixed! I'll let you know how I get on, as I'm also hoping to the L950.

Now that Three have stated they will carry the L550 this issue might get also some more traction.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone heard anything else from Three regarding this issue? My 950 should be arriving in a few days, so I need to know what the situation is.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone heard anything else from Three regarding this issue? My 950 should be arriving in a few days, so I need to know what the situation is.

No idea I'm afraid. I've emailed them three times now with reference to this thread and their own announcement about carrying the L550 and had no reply at all. Since they are intending to carry the L550 I would hope that they can get Winmo10 approved at some point soon, but you may have to buy a tethering add-on to get your L950 to work in the meantime. Other than that, we are at the mercy of typical Three customer service.

Let us know how you get on - I really want a L950 myself so I'd be interested to know what you think of it..

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

No idea I'm afraid. I've emailed them three times now with reference to this thread and their own announcement about carrying the L550 and had no reply at all. Since they are intending to carry the L550 I would hope that they can get Winmo10 approved at some point soon, but you may have to buy a tethering add-on to get your L950 to work in the meantime. Other than that, we are at the mercy of typical Three customer service.

Let us know how you get on - I really want a L950 myself so I'd be interested to know what you think of it..

I've had a reply from Three - they recommend I wait until the release is officially announced on the network. Super helpful :eck:

Simon Flynn

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site

Unfortunately I've had the same problem since I got the 950xl. I've spent about 2 hours on the phone to 3 speaking to several people ... and been repeatedly told to stop using my SIM card in a tablet or wifi dongle and having to repeatedly tell them I'm not! Can't really blame Microsoft for this but 3 should know by now that Windows 10 isn't purely PC and tablets. I bought my 950XL on Wednesday and I've been told I should have internet restored this Tuesday. So far it seems that it's just 3 that's messing up?

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I pretty much got an identical reply from Three as Daniel. Although they said they've added my number to the tethering block removal list, my 925 is still not getting any data, 72+ hours after.

A bit of good news though I guess, my Three sim from my iPhone works perfectly in my 950. I've yet to try the sim from my 925 (the one that I was having issues with on W10M) as it needs to be cut down to nano sim size. I'll report back after I've tried the sim from my 925.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

OK damn! That's a joke, what if I use a new sim as I have requested one as my current one is micro and the 950 takes nano. Apparently that makes a difference?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
OK damn! That's a joke, what if I use a new sim as I have requested one as my current one is micro and the 950 takes nano. Apparently that makes a difference?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Won't make a difference. It's tied to the browser data. So it sees Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge, doesn't recognise it as a mobile OS and browser, so will tag it as tethering. It was a nano SIM that was giving me the tethering block problem before I contacted Three about it. Then they just updated my current SIM to ensure I could get data on Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3