Brand New ICON - Put Windows 10 on it???

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
My work let me snag one of the Lumia ICON's that Microsoft Store had on a one day sale the other day as a replacement for my current ICON that really needs a "fresh battery". I've been running Windows 10 mobile on my old ICON and love it except for the battery life. I know we are weeks away from RTM on Windows 10 mobile and not knowing if Verizon will get the 950 or not, I am digging in to use my ICON for a while longer.

So just wanted to see what others would do if they got a brand new ICON. Stay on the aging 8.1 and have better battery life or try Windows 10 mobile on a fresh ICON and see if battery is the same.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
If you had success before then I would go for it. Most people are used to charging their phone mid-day at this point.
I have an Icon and am considering going to WM10 Preview now that I hear it is relatively stable. I am hesitant because I bricked my HTC 8X a year ago running the 8.1 preview and had to replace it.
Is it possible to brick the Icon on WM10 Preview? If so, will the Recovery Tool help me if it does happen?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If you had success before then I would go for it. Most people are used to charging their phone mid-day at this point.
I have an Icon and am considering going to WM10 Preview now that I hear it is relatively stable. I am hesitant because I bricked my HTC 8X a year ago running the 8.1 preview and had to replace it.
Is it possible to brick the Icon on WM10 Preview? If so, will the Recovery Tool help me if it does happen?

It has been pretty stable...Battery Drain and wonky Bluetooth with UConnect are biggest complaints...Outlook Mail client is wonky like the desktop version (SOMETHING WENT WRONG errors) but still works...

My guess batter drain will still be on the new one but once you "Go 10" it is hard to go back to 8.1...especially if you like the Outlook Client, New Office Apps and Groove Music.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a new (to me) Icon and upgraded it to WM10 straight away. It's been good so far. Battery is OK and it's generally much better than I expected. I have no problem recommending the upgrade.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up a new (to me) Icon and upgraded it to WM10 straight away. It's been good so far. Battery is OK and it's generally much better than I expected. I have no problem recommending the upgrade.

How's your battery life now? Mine has gotten so much worse over time...almost unusable as a daily driver...if this next build doesn't fix that, I have no choice but to go back to 8.1 for a while.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
How's your battery life now? Mine has gotten so much worse over time...almost unusable as a daily driver...if this next build doesn't fix that, I have no choice but to go back to 8.1 for a while.

Battery is fine....but that's probably because I had to disable mobile data. Something was using lots of data. I'm going to downgrade to 8.1 then upgrade to the new build, not enable Cortana, and see how things go.

mike208

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I just picked up a used icon to give windows phone a try. Wondering if I should stick with 8.1 for a while, or should I jump right in to windows 10?

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Don't forget to do a hard reset. This will remove the unwanted old software.

angeredsmile

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have had 2 Icons since it was released. I am happy with this latest release, it's been the best so far. It is my daily driver. This is the first release for me that is not laggy, no apps are crashing, everything seems to just work for me. "10581" I believe, don't have it with me as I type this.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I just installed the latest fast ring build on my brand new Icon but for some reason, the Edge browser isn't working and I can't find any solutions at the moment. I've been relying on 3rd party browsers for now. Has anyone also had this issue or know a possible fix?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just installed the latest fast ring build on my brand new Icon but for some reason, the Edge browser isn't working and I can't find any solutions at the moment. I've been relying on 3rd party browsers for now. Has anyone also had this issue or know a possible fix?

That's odd. What build are you running? Have you tried a soft reset?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Battery is fine....but that's probably because I had to disable mobile data. Something was using lots of data. I'm going to downgrade to 8.1 then upgrade to the new build, not enable Cortana, and see how things go.

Nah, About 65-75% of what 8.1 was, maybe a hair better in some cases (disable data ? Why ? what is the point ?). Sure the newest build is TONS better than the past but, still slight battery drain here and there. If the OP wanted to try it, I might hold out for a week or so. The next build should be out in the next few days, rumored RTM/RC so should be better than the current build for battery and Cortana issues (Asking Cortana to send a text causes her to crash).

SHOULD be better. If ICON owners remember 8.1 preview, even when we were on the RTM version (preview version), battery was never the same as it was 8.0, It didn't get better till Verizon released DENIM. It's combo of software and firmware that will make it optimize the battery big time.

Now will the ICON get Windows 10 mobile from Verizon ? That is the $10,000 question here. The Phone has been discontinued for over a year now. Even though the 930 is available as a current model, the ICON/929, is a non model from Verizon for a while now. If you look over Microsoft's update notice (saying phones will get W10m), the 930 is there but, the ICON/929 IS NOT and not listed anywhere any more.

Time will tell but, I am not counting on it. If it does come, it could be MONTHS later, so Preview for ever for the ICON might be the ONLY way if you want it on the ICON, I just hope Microsoft tweaks it enough to make it worthy on the battery aspect at least.

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious with the Icon.. on windows 8.1 vs 10 (1511 build).. how is the battery life at the end of a workday with minimal use? IE: 30%, 60% etc? (after 8 hours)

How long does it take to fully recharge an icon?

I'm moving from the 1020 to the 929 icon (most likely.. cant really justify the stiff no contract price with straight talk on the 950).

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious with the Icon.. on windows 8.1 vs 10 (1511 build).. how is the battery life at the end of a workday with minimal use? IE: 30%, 60% etc? (after 8 hours)

How long does it take to fully recharge an icon?

I'm moving from the 1020 to the 929 icon (most likely.. cant really justify the stiff no contract price with straight talk on the 950).

The nice battery life with 8.1 on an Icon is back with the last 2 insider 10 builds. Using the stock charger for this phone (1.5 amp output) charges up the phone pretty quickly actually. Id say better than most phones without the newer fast charge systems.

Id say your making a great choice going to the Icon as an update. If you can get one in good shape less than $170....then its a very good band for the $ device compared to most phones that have been around for 1+ years. Especially if you want a windows phone and are using Verizon or a mvno.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)