White dots on dark photos, not dust I think

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I noticed lot of white dots on my darker photos tonight. First I thought it was stars, but then I realized it was cloudy. So I tried to shoot pictures with my lens covered to see what happens.

Here are results.

Lumia Camera (ISO100, 4s):
WP_20150924_21_45_03_Raw.jpg

Lumia Camera (ISO100, 4s) cropped 1:1:
lumiaCamera_crop.png

ProShot (ISO100, 4s):
ProShot.jpg

ProShot (ISO100, 4s) cropped 1:1:
ProShot_crop.png

Is this common? I never noticed this before, it is really ugly on night photos :(

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For your Lumia Camera, was Rich Capture enabled? It seems that the photos through Lumia Camera have been automatically enhanced, since the specks are brighter and there is a distinct set of large, dark, concentric circles or circular bands almost co-centric with the image - indicative of image enhancement.

Additionally, you may want to have a look at different types of image noise, i.e. "salt-and-pepper noise"; they're especially common in sensors with smaller pixel sizes.

And you're right - those are not dust particles since dust particles (except the radioactive fallout variety) are not self-luminescent, and since you've taken shots with your lens covered any dust particle could not have been visible (if ever there were any on the sensor) and they would appear much larger than those specks as black opaque and fixed obstructions when taking normal, well-lit images.

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I noticed it first on this photo, it would be so nice without the dots :(

WP_20150924_7104.jpg

I think it's some kind of postprocessing in still images. When I take a video and pick one frame, it's clear.

L830

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Old story... the INfamous "starry night" effect of lumia camera 5 on long exposure shots at low iso.
Read here.
To avoid it you can use lumia camera 5 CLASSIC for jpgs "hot pixels free", or develop raws from lumia camera 5 "new" with adobe lightroom.
;)

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thanks for link!

I didn't notice this problem before, but they did replace my camera module not so far ago. And I am not sure, if it was the same. Bad thing is that I can see it even on DNG file. :/ Also Lumia Camera Classic is not available anymore AFAIK, so I can't use it :( Alternative apps like ProShot do it too, but it's not visible so much.

But thanks again for your reply, good to know I am not the only one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss