Cortana requires wi-fi?

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I was in a Wal-Mart and wanted Cortana to make a reminder / note for me on the price of an item I wanted to compare to Home Depot's price.

She wouldn't work because she said ' I'm not connected to the Internet ' !!!!!!!

WTF?

You have to be on Wi-fi for Cortana to work?

Pretty useless it seems.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes cortana needs either wifi or mobile data to work.
And location also needs to be turned on.

The main use of internet is for the speech recognition to work.
Other use is to pull data (when you ask Cortana to do a search or something like that).

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have a minimal data plan since I'm in my own wi-fi spot 90% of the time and I wanted to make sure it didn't run over.
Guess I need to turn it on before I leave the house.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking I < had > posted in a Cortana forum but I guess that was on another board. :(

My bad.

Anyway when I turned the cellular data back on I saw I could limit it so it set it for 250 mb / month.
I think my plan allows 350 but I set it for 250 to be sure I wouldn't run over. I doubt I will even hit that, though.

Wal-Mart might have free wi-fi but you would have to log into it and I hadn't done that ... or even thought of it.

I presumed Cortana could make a reminder without calling HOME to tell Microsoft what I wanted to be reminded of.

Seems like that's pretty much an internal process and I don't know why Cortana should require the ability to communicate with Microsoft every time it is asked to do something.

This is REAL George Orwell Big Brother.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos