Does it make any sense to buy a 1020 now?

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've been toying around with the idea of buying a Lumia 1020 off eBay just for the camera. But I've read comments to the effect that the camera is almost rendered useless in Windows Mobile 10. Does it make sense for me to buy a phone days before Windows Mobile 10 is released? Is it worth it? Or does the camera actually suck in WM10?

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been toying around with the idea of buying a Lumia 1020 off eBay just for the camera. But I've read comments to the effect that the camera is almost rendered useless in Windows Mobile 10. Does it make sense for me to buy a phone days before Windows Mobile 10 is released? Is it worth it? Or does the camera actually suck in WM10?

Lumia camera doesn't suck on WM, at all.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Right now, Windows 10 Mobile preview cannot take advantage of the high-resolution sensor of the Lumia 1020. There have been indications that developments are being made to accommodate the L1020 sensor such that high resolution images can be once again taken with the L1020 in Windows 10 Mobile.

If you're looking for the benefits of the camera, then go ahead and buy the L1020 but don't upgrade it to Windows 10 Mobile now. Wait until the official updates arrives for the L1020. Nonetheless, you can remain in Windows Phone 8.1 and take all high resolution photos with the L1020.

P.S.
Check the price - the successor of the L1020 may be announced within a few months or the next year. You may want to wait until October 7 before deciding.

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Right now, Windows 10 Mobile preview cannot take advantage of the high-resolution sensor of the Lumia 1020. There have been indications that developments are being made to accommodate the L1020 sensor such that high resolution images can be once again taken with the L1020 in Windows 10 Mobile.

If you're looking for the benefits of the camera, then go ahead and buy the L1020 but don't upgrade it to Windows 10 Mobile now. Wait until the official updates arrives for the L1020. Nonetheless, you can remain in Windows Phone 8.1 and take all high resolution photos with the L1020.

P.S.
Check the price - the successor of the L1020 may be announced within a few months or the next year. You may want to wait until October 7 before deciding.

So there is a chance the rumoured 1030/1050 will be announced this Tuesday?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So there is a chance the rumoured 1030/1050 will be announced this Tuesday?

At this point, the chance is very slim. Most of us are looking at a 10xx announcement within a few months to a year (maybe even more). Nonetheless, I still intuitively think that it would be best to wait for October 7 before deciding. The more we know, the easier it is to make decisions.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys, it's public knowledge that there will be NO 1020 successor. Its not in the business model of where Lumia is heading. I am guessing that w10 will be optimized for the 1020 soon.

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Guys, it's public knowledge that there will be NO 1020 successor. Its not in the business model of where Lumia is heading. I am guessing that w10 will be optimized for the 1020 soon.
Ahh, damn. So if the new phones prove to be too expensive, and I have a horrible feeling they might be, I might just buy a 1020.

My sweet spot is between $450 and $550. If 950 is priced any higher, then I don't think I can afford it.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Nokia 808 for $119 just for the camera. All I use my phone for is talk text and photos. Now I have to see if I can get along with Symbian.

That was new in the box and unlocked by the way. I had to change the language from Spanish to English.

Arup Roy Chowdhury

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Still the best camera around and only one to come close to it would be SONY Xperia Z5 which is the current DxO champ but in overall image quality, nothing comes close to 41MP sensor of 1020. As a phone, its a bit slow if you do intensive tasks as FB, Whatsapp etc. but it still functions OK.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Which I had read this 15 minutes ago before I began a W10 upgrade.

I just got in a RM-877 in nice condition today. I unlocked it, and have been playing around with it. Current driver is a 830 (RM-985).

So, I was thinking that I had forgotten how much I liked this model (most of them I get are in pretty rough shape), so maybe I'll sell the 830 and keep the 1020. I've been taking lots of pictures for work lately, so the camera might come in handy.

I was thinking that it seemed a little stale though, so maybe I'd load WM10 to refresh it a little.

Then I read this, and realize that maybe I'll have to send it back to 8.1 to get the good pics that would be the reason to keep it?

P.S.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, I can't tell a difference I don't think, Now I can compare because my wifes 1020 is still on 8.1. I will take a photo using each and report back.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Which I had read this 15 minutes ago before I began a W10 upgrade.

I just got in a RM-877 in nice condition today. I unlocked it, and have been playing around with it. Current driver is a 830 (RM-985).

So, I was thinking that I had forgotten how much I liked this model (most of them I get are in pretty rough shape), so maybe I'll sell the 830 and keep the 1020. I've been taking lots of pictures for work lately, so the camera might come in handy.

I was thinking that it seemed a little stale though, so maybe I'd load WM10 to refresh it a little.

Then I read this, and realize that maybe I'll have to send it back to 8.1 to get the good pics that would be the reason to keep it?

There's hope, since Microsoft has expressed an intention to support the high-resolution capabilities of the Lumia 1020 in succeeding Windows 10 Mobile builds. In fact, there's a thread (I can't find it now) where a user reports being able to download Lumia Camera for his Lumia 1020 in Windows 10 Mobile, but since I don't have any intention of upgrading my L1020 now I can't confirm that.

Our friend, Steve Adams, might report back with his findings comparing Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile TP (current version?) - hopefully it'll have the same high-resolution images for both OS versions.

Nonetheless, a Lumia 1020 running Windows Phone 8.1 should still be worth keeping, with the idea of maximizing stability and the high-resolution sensor - at the moment at least.

renuzaki

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I doubt there will be any chance of L1020 successor coming anytime soon. At least not this year am sure.
As L1020 owner I would say buying L1020 now if you really like camera+wp+don't mind it being li'l slow. These are clich? devices and one would just love to buy them coz well they are awesome. (like I still want 808 (presumably still better than L1020 + symbianOS + hdmi and that insane screen ;) )
N8->808->L1020->? (next year)
how much is it available for on ebay at the moment?

instanoodles

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading reviews and users experiences and I still cant really find an answer to this question, What is better for an average windows phone user, a 1020 or an 830. I currently have a lumia 520 and locally I can get an 830 and a 1020 for the same price but I cant decide which on to get. The camera on the 1020 is better than the 830 but I am far from a photographer and I think the 830 would be fine. I guess it would be down to which one does anyone here think would be more future proof with windows phone 10 coming out. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading reviews and users experiences and I still cant really find an answer to this question, What is better for an average windows phone user, a 1020 or an 830. I currently have a lumia 520 and locally I can get an 830 and a 1020 for the same price but I cant decide which on to get. The camera on the 1020 is better than the 830 but I am far from a photographer and I think the 830 would be fine. I guess it would be down to which one does anyone here think would be more future proof with windows phone 10 coming out. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
That really depends on you and your preferences but I choose 830 personally. I have both phones, l bought the 830 as a replacement of my broken 1020 and l must say I'm impressed. The only main differences I found are 1020 is a quite noticeably faster probably because of its 2gb ram, and its amoled display but the competition ends there. The 41mp camera? Meh you won't need it, it's more of a gimmick than what it really does, trust me I've missed a lot of shots because 1020's sluggishness. There's no such thing as "future proof" so don't stress yourself too much about it. I suggest you to audition them personally and weigh down your preferences then pick which one you prefer. Cheers, Matt.

instanoodles

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
That really depends on you and your preferences but I choose 830 personally. I have both phones, l bought the 830 as a replacement of my broken 1020 and l must say I'm impressed. The only main differences I found are 1020 is a quite noticeably faster probably because of its 2gb ram, and its amoled display but the competition ends there. The 41mp camera? Meh you won't need it, it's more of a gimmick than what it really does, trust me I've missed a lot of shots because 1020's sluggishness. There's no such thing as "future proof" so don't stress yourself too much about it. I suggest you to audition them personally and weigh down your preferences then pick which one you prefer. Cheers, Matt.

Maybe future proof is the wrong phrase but I guess I was just concerned about future updates to the 1020 since it is much older. I am hoping that it gets a windows 10 update and more updates further down the line. I am not so worried about that with the 830 because it is much newer. I am currently used to a very slow camera, I have a bb Q10 and the auto focus on that thing can take 1-2 seconds and by then you missed the shot. I guess I will have to do some more research, I cant really test both out as they are on kijiji and I wouldn't want to meet both and potentially waste one persons time.

Thanks for your input

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe future proof is the wrong phrase but I guess I was just concerned about future updates to the 1020 since it is much older. I am hoping that it gets a windows 10 update and more updates further down the line. I am not so worried about that with the 830 because it is much newer. I am currently used to a very slow camera, I have a bb Q10 and the auto focus on that thing can take 1-2 seconds and by then you missed the shot. I guess I will have to do some more research, I cant really test both out as they are on kijiji and I wouldn't want to meet both and potentially waste one persons time.

Thanks for your input

Well, I think the 830 is the best bet since it has a lot of positive things that the 1020 don't have like for instance bigger screen, slightly larger and removable battery, expansion card slot, and much premium feel and looks that puts any windows phone flagships to shame. Although it doesn't have that processing power that the 1020 has so expect some lags during high loads specially on heavy gaming. As for the camera, your Q10 is still faster cause the burst time on 1020 usually takes around 3-5/4-5 seconds which is really frustrating that's why I said that the 1020's camera specifically its 41mp is more of a gimmick. So if you're an average user you'll definitely love the 830 mainly because like I said before its a beautiful piece of engineering, a great balance between premium and budget phone too bad it's the last of its kind cause they are ending its product line source: http://m.windowscentral.com/lumia-830-reaching-end-its-product-life-10-months-after-launch

cheers, Matt

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
There's hope, since Microsoft has expressed an intention to support the high-resolution capabilities of the Lumia 1020 in succeeding Windows 10 Mobile builds. In fact, there's a thread (I can't find it now) where a user reports being able to download Lumia Camera for his Lumia 1020 in Windows 10 Mobile, but since I don't have any intention of upgrading my L1020 now I can't confirm that.

Our friend, Steve Adams, might report back with his findings comparing Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile TP (current version?) - hopefully it'll have the same high-resolution images for both OS versions.

Nonetheless, a Lumia 1020 running Windows Phone 8.1 should still be worth keeping, with the idea of maximizing stability and the high-resolution sensor - at the moment at least.

@gordonfink
I believe I am the user that reported being able to download Lumia Camera back onto Windows 10 Mobile. This is specific to the phone you have. If you have the AT&T version of the Lumia 1020 (RM-877) then you can get it back. You have to hard reset the device once Windows 10 Mobile is installed and when you go through the screen prompts to set it back up choose don't restore, start fresh. It will actually install Nokia Camera first and then will update it to the latest Lumia Camera through the store. I have been able to do this on all builds including that latest one. A few others have reported this working, but only with the AT&T model.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers