Hi folks!

Recently I had two occasions when I desperately needed to rely on my Lumia 830 for navigation. Sadly, both times it let me down.

I can describe the situations as follows: I leave place A (internet connection available) with fully working HERE or Sygic navigation apps. I successfully drive to point B, with the navigation app showing me the way. At point B I do not have internet connection. But I know that my navigation apps have latest maps and do not require internet connection for work, so I am not worried.

Now, I want to drive from point B to point C. I turn on either of my navigation apps and none of them is able to receive a GPS signal. Phone restart does not help. It seems that the phone simply does not receive GPS signal.
    Funnily enough, when I get to a point where I can connect my phone to internet, GPS starts to receive the signal.

Anyone experienced this kind of issue? Are there any known solutions?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Dupdopy; 10-01-2015 at 08:16 AM.
    10-01-2015 07:50 AM
    you could always try an app to test the actual GPS connection, like these https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=GRmOpOTx

it could be various things, from hardware, software, physical location. interference, etc.
    10-01-2015 11:15 AM
    Interesting! Did not know such app exists. Thanks a lot, will explore it.

Still open to any comments, maybe someone experienced same issue and found a solution.
    10-02-2015 03:34 AM
    Interesting! Did not know such app exists. Thanks a lot, will explore it.

Still open to any comments, maybe someone experienced same issue and found a solution.
    I have an RM-983 (AT&T version), and I had the same issue when I was on travel in Europe. I had pre-downloaded the maps of Switzerland, and I knew my SIM wouldn't work there since I have Cricket. When I had WiFi, I was able to get both WiFi and GPS satellite positioning. Without any data at all, I had no GPS satellite positioning. It was very frustrating. I'm not sure what the deal is/was. I ended up getting a prepaid Salt SIM with daily unlimited data for $2/day, after which my positioning information came from satellite and was reliable. Technically, there should be no reason to require an active data connection to receive GPS positioning. Without data however, it could take up to 12.5min to locate you, as most phones use AGPS or assisted GPS to both narrow your position and download the GPS ephemeris data. Either it's a hardware issue, a software bug, or something AT&T did.

I used this app to track where we went. Awesome app, and the pro purchase of $2 was worth it to export our GPS tracks to PC for viewing in Google Earth.
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=KHsBY5Dd
    10-02-2015 08:39 AM
    that doesn't surprise me. I remember the old days of windows mobile 6.5. I could wait 3-10 minutes for a satellite to find me, or have a script download the ephemeris data every few hours and have near instant satellite GPS lock with no data.

I wonder if AT&T has it setup funny for battery life?
    10-02-2015 10:55 AM