Instant buy IF...

michaels_epp

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing, I am an Apple user. I own an iPhone 6 and an IPad Mini 3. I never used to be this way, in fact I hated everything Apple. I didn't understand how people could be so obsessed with this one company. Then I bought an IPhone 6 and changed my mind. Honestly it's the best phone I've ever had. The camera is great, it lasts all day, and it has every app I need. But I'm tired of it. The screen is too small and I want a phone that is unique and different. So I'm giving Microsoft one more chance.

My first Windows Phone was the HTC 8X and... It was nice I guess. I liked the camera and if I remember correctly the battery lasted nicely. The main thing was how nice it looked. In my opinion it's one of the best designed phones ever. I left it after some hard wear issues and the lack of apps and switched back to android.

A few phones (android and blackberry) I went back to Windows with the Lumia 640 and it was nice. More of the apps were there but it was still missing snapchat, it doesn't have a front facing camera but still. I really just wanted to see how far Windows had progressed in a year and was impressed. The folders are beautiful and I just love the overall feel. Once again, I left for the lack of apps.

Now I'm bored with my iPhone. The Moto X Style doesn't impress, the new Nexii are generic, and everything else is either too expensive (Galaxy S6 Edge+) or lacks something that I'm looking for. The Lumia checks off all the boxes but two. It's got a great camera (most likely) it's fast (again, most likely) and its software is still unique. I'm not sure about how I feel about the design and it's still lacking apps BUT the design isn't that important and I'm sure that with app porting snapchat will arrive. So it all comes down to price.

Microsoft: Be realistic with what you charge. The Moto X Style and Nexii are both offering much, if not all, that you are. Continuum is the only real standout feature and, here in the states at least, it won't be used very much (by me anyways). Skip the carriers and go the Moto route. Price the XL at around $500 or less and the regular at $400ish. This won't sell very well until at least the next generation anyways. This is because people need to start getting the new phones with everything Windows has to offer before they can show them off. The high price tag will drive off potential customers, lead to lesser scores in professional reviews, and lessen the chance of Windows Mobile taking off. Also: market the hell out of them.

Notice; this is my personal opinion. No, I am not a professional that deals with the phone market. No, I'm not an Apple ******. No, I'm not just "too poor". No, I'm not complaining about what might happen with the price. No, I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic. This applies to ME. Some may agree and some may not, I'm not speaking for all.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I can see your point.
I've used Apples, Blackberry's & Droids, but there's just something about my Windows phone that keeps me coming back to it.
I'm not big on apps, but there is one or two i'd like to see.
I guess, however if everybody had one or two they'd like, well..............

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely. I'm really looking forward to the new phones, but very concerned that they'll be overpriced. Only Apple has mastered the reality distortion field and can sell smartphones for nearly $1000 . I've been saying $450 / $550 max, but after seeing the specs and prices on the the newest android offerings, I'm concerned even that may be too high!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see it at $400/$500 with a launch sale price of $300/$400 to get buyers to come in early. There needs to be more than $150-$200 separating these phones from the others to really have a chance. Sell them at a loss and try to get adoption rates up is my view. Of course it's easy to talk about money when it's not mine :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
$399/499 looks to match Android flagships. If they ask much more I think it will be a tough sell, kind of like the 830 which was badly priced.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The price is going to be whatever it'll be. I suspect the price will be somewhere north of what many will be able to afford and most of the chatter will come from that sector. Much of the cost will come from development of the device itself with includes the OS going into it. Continuum, iris scan, tap to pay, wallets and other yet unknown technologies built into the device I suspect won't come cheap. It may not reach the iPhone 6 price point but its gonna feel like it.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Continuum looks like an interesting feature, I think though, it's not going to turn the tide. Basically people have dropped desktops in favour of portables, and making the portable behave like a desktop probably won't change that.

My gut feeling is that W10M is DOA. Too little, too late, continues the trend of losing the good features, and adopting poor ones. The flagship phones offer incredibly little (apart from the continuum), and frankly, I'm reluctant to lose my L920, but I think that will be it with windows phone/mobile for me. I'll probably get some forked android after this phone like the oneplus phones.

The 950 would have been an instant buy if they didn't go stupid with the screen resolution (and possibly a slightly smaller size) and kept capacitive buttons.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
$549 for 950 and $649 for the XL. So a bit more than what everyone was expecting.
I did do a full comparison with the Nexus 5X (which is what I am also going to purchase) and here is what I came up with:

Nexus 5X 32GB $429
Lumia 950 32GB $549
For $120 we get a better camera with OIS, SD card slot, better screen resolution, more RAM, bigger battery, built in Qi charging, but no fingerprint scanning. Considering everything the price is okay but still I think if they had priced it at $449 or even $479 it can sell a lot better IMO. For the record, this is a serious upgrade over my current crop of Lumia devices and I am definitely getting one.

Google Nexus 5X vs Microsoft Lumia 950 - Phone specs comparison

Last edited:

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Not a problem for me. Going to buy an at&t XL on sale on contract. I'll probably get it for $100 or $130 if history is a guide. As long as that initial down payment is somewhere near $100 the price on the box is irrelevant to me. It can be $900 for all I care.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't really know how people are going to react to the price of the new phones. I am sure quite a few people are going to pass on it because they vision it as being too high for a Windows phone. If it is, or is not is really a moot point. And only time will tell if its a mistake or a prudent move. I am pretty sure I will not get one even though I put aside 700$ for just that purpose over a year ago. Funny, it seems like it was 10 years ago. I did grab a 640 when they released it and I will make due with that until I see just where Microsoft is going with W10. I will not get burned again, its hard to fault the 640; but it seems like Microsoft is trying to by releasing the 550 that appears to me to be a lesser phone yet they are calling it a replacement for the 640.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte