Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Trust me, I wish it was different, I want this phone too but, I am not willing to give up my unlimited Verizon LTE Data plan....it would just cost so much to go to a metered plan.

I'm in the same boat.....I would probably actually switch because of this phone but I cant because of my unlimited plan and any other carrier Id got to would cost me more money.

Went on a Verizon chat to bring up the lack of support for the new Windows phones. The reps exact words were "I do understand, but why settle for something less when you can get the amazing iphones or samsung phones." I LOL'd at that one. Pretty ridiculous.

If they actually said that...I don't know what to say. Id almost love to drop the rebuttal that my Icon does anything the new iphones does and it did it over a year ago.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Yep, just confirmed with AT&T. $300 per line plus trade-in for the Icon to switch from Verizon. Now he said they only do this if you get a Next plan...

AUmike734

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
This really sucks... I've been 'off-contract' for a while now holding onto the hopes that a W10 device would be available soon through VZW. If they try to push us to a VZW branded variation of the 950, I will have to pass. Personal experience with 'proprietary' VZW hardware has been horrible... They're quick to abandon said device for whatever they want to shove down our throat next, leaving us with a buggy device and little hope for a SW push to fix it anytime this century... or even the latest release of whatever OS is available to the rest of the free world.

WHY VERIZON WHY?

Kleeshay

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have been happy with Verizon coverage and the pricing we receive. However, she's very interested in the 950s. It looks like we'll be selling our old phones, breaking contract with Verizon, and moving on. I plan to buy the phones out-right and use a pre-paid carrier on ATT towers (the Straight Talk BYOP plans look great).

I know ATT offers a buy out for those under contract, but after the 830 Denim debacle I would rather buy carrier unlocked phones. It will be sticker shock for the Mrs buying a phone up front!

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This really sucks. I've been with Verizon for years and finally got out my last contract last month. The new pricing they've implemented cut my bill by over 40% (from $121 to about $51) so I'm just beginning to enjoy not being robbed for cellphone service. Now come to find out the phone I've been waiting for isn't going to be available and if I want it I may have to switch to AT&T and possibly get robbed again. Extremely frustrating.

If this is really true and the only hope is that Verizon releases a carrier variant I see zero chance of it happening just based on the way they handled WP in the past. MS gave them a variant flagship and they treated it like a stepchild. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon balks and just chalks it up to their low market share as that seems to have been their stance to this point.

If it really could've been solved by MS including the proper hardware for it to operate on Verizon, well then you could add complete confusion to my frustration because that would be a horrible decision. I really hope the solution wasn't as simple as using the proper hardware because there's no way you're convincing me that adding whatever antenna or extra/different hardware they needed wouldn't have been cost efficient on a $600 device.

I'll look at AT&T's plan pricing but if it's back to paying $100 + for one line after finally being able to enjoy a much lower monthly bill I might have to stick with Verizon and (gasp) buy an iPhone/Galaxy. This.really.sucks.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll look at AT&T's plan pricing but if it's back to paying $100 + for one line after finally being able to enjoy a much lower monthly bill I might have to stick with Verizon and (gasp) buy an iPhone/Galaxy. This.really.sucks.

We pay $90 for 2 lines on AT&T so it would be impressive to pay more for one. Unless you're wanting masses of data. But I can't believe Verizon was giving masses for free...

In-laws moved from Verizon to AT&T and monthly bill went down.

Nice benefit is GSM phones on AT&T work anywhere in the world... except on Verizon (+Sprint) which has it's proprietary network lock in.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Due to Verizon's security on their network, unlocked phones wont work on Verizon's CDMA network (even if it DID support the correct bands for it).

I'm not sure why this keeps coming up in this forum. This statement is not true. The factory unlocked iPhone 6/6+, iPhone 6s/6s+, Nexus 6/6P/5X, and the Moto X Pure Edition all work perfectly fine on Verizon. I have a Nexus 6 I bought directly from Motorola last year, and it works perfectly. While Verizon wouldn't activate it (they do now), I simply put in my active Verizon SIM card and I was up and running. I even have Verizon's VoLTE service.

Microsoft could have done this too. I do not know why they didn't. Was it AT&T's demands? Was it the added cost of the CDMA radios? Was it hardware and/or software technicalities?

Nice benefit is GSM phones on AT&T work anywhere in the world... except on Verizon (+Sprint) which has it's proprietary network lock in.

Verizon's LTE phones are also GSM unlocked. No advantage here. In fact, they're better than AT&T branded phones; Verizon's are unlocked from the factory, while AT&T's are not.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
We pay $90 for 2 lines on AT&T so it would be impressive to pay more for one. Unless you're wanting masses of data. But I can't believe Verizon was giving masses for free...

In-laws moved from Verizon to AT&T and monthly bill went down.

I checked with AT&T and it looks like I'd be paying $55/month with 2GB instead of the new $51/1GB rate that Verizon's new plan affords me. Since the AT&T appears to be more bang for my buck (even though I don't really need the extra gig) so maybe the outlook isn't as bleak.

*wipes brow*
I'm still getting a 950!!! F%^& yeah!

Last edited:

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So got a question for someone that knows more than me. What piece of hardware in the phone is it that has to contain the support for the CDMA for Verizon? I always thought it was the chipset. So would have thought since these phones have the Snapdragon 808 and 810 that they would have the required tech necessary for Verizon.........

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know, the GLOBAL standards for Cell phones IS GSM. When it comes to the gobal market Microsoft's goal, allow access to the most customers in the world. Verizon uses a Key for CDMA and it's about the only one in the gobal marketplace (as far as I know). When you look at the big picture, making the phone in the global standards (that includes AT&T as they are primary GSM), is the most important to them.

Due to Verizon's security on their network, unlocked phones wont work on Verizon's CDMA network (even if it DID support the correct bands for it). Wile it might be possable to use it on their LTE network for some things, 1/2 the features would not work and call quality would be questionable. The 3G network is still used for texts and the fallback network (so you dont drop calls). The advanages of Verizon's network would be gone if you lost CDMA access (dead spots would be more common and no signal areas would be in more places than you know).

No matter how many people here WANT the 950 and 950XL to work on Verizon and how some numbers MIGHT match up as for band, it will not fully work on Verizon and would not even be worth trying.

The ONLY way to get a fully working phone with all features is for Verizon to add the phone to their selection to add the feature set needed.

If you want this phone on Verizon, everyone get on the phone and ask for it, keep calling, it's the only way it MIGHT come. SO if your thinking about spending $550-650 on a phone and it will just work on Verizon like your current one does, you will be VERY dispointed.

Trust me, I wish it was different, I want this phone too but, I am not willing to give up my unlimited Verizon LTE Data plan....it would just cost so much to go to a metered plan.

Except iphone and nexus phones can work on all US carriers and globally as well. for example, see the specs for nexus 5x here LG Nexus 5X - Full phone specifications

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I checked with AT&T and it looks like I'd be paying $55/month with 2GB instead of the new $51/1GB rate that Verizon's new plan affords me. Since the AT&T appears to be more bang for my buck (even though I don't really need the extra gig) so maybe the outlook isn't as bleak.

*wipes brow*
I'm still getting a 950!!! F%^& yeah!

you could also go the pre-paid route for $40/mo with 1.5 gb on auto pay and just buy phone outright and still get $100 credit for byod per rep making phone actually 550, something i am seriously considering as it includes rollover data or if you need more data do 55/mo pre-paid auto pay for 4gb

Prepaid & No Contract Cell Phone Plans - AT&T GoPhone

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Except iphone and nexus phones can work on all US carriers and globally as well. for example, see the specs for nexus 5x here LG Nexus 5X - Full phone specifications
'

With No agreement with Verizon ? It would of been nice if Microsoft talked to Verizon to make this happen in an unlocked model like this but, Of course VSW didn't care (Was bettiing more VZW than Microsoft but, what do I know ?)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
'

With No agreement with Verizon ? It would of been nice if Microsoft talked to Verizon to make this happen in an unlocked model like this but, Of course VSW didn't care (Was bettiing more VZW than Microsoft but, what do I know ?)

Right, with no contract on verizon. you can bring a nexus phone or unlocked iphone to verizon and they will activate it for you. The problem with Lumia 950 and 950XL is that Microsoft does not include the necessary CDMA radio in the phone. MS either did this because (1) cost or (2) agreement with AT&T but either way, Verizon has no say whether MS can include the CDMA radio or not. Now verizon can refuse to activate the phone and because MS knew Verizon would refuse it, they did not include the CDMA radio to save cost. Still, it's the fact that MS chose not to include it rather than they could not technically do so.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
'

If it's really as simple as Verizon and Microsoft agreeing on terms so Verizon can "flip the switch" and allow the phone to fully utilize its network, it could still happen. I think that since MS showed off the phone in a presentation everyone is assuming that all the particulars have been worked out and all agreements made. The fact that we're seeing conflicting reports about whether it's going to be an AT&T exclusive and the lack of a release date suggest otherwise.

If it's a hardware issue then Verizon customers are screwed. I'm just glad that the pricing and overall process of switching from one major carrier to another has become so easy now. I think we have TMobile to thank.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
NO. The answer is NO. Again, the answer is, if you missed it, NO.
Here's an explanation: CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Many Sprint and Verizon phones now have SIM cards, but that isn't because of CDMA. The SIM cards are generally there for Sprint's and Verizon's 4G LTE networks, because the LTE standard also uses SIM cards. The phones may also have SIM slots to support foreign GSM networks as "world phones." But those carriers still use CDMA to authenticate their phones on their own home networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786