Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If MSFT really wants to be a contender in the mobile field, they need to do whatever it takes to get Verizon, the largest US carrier, in the fold. Spiff the sales people, buy them cars, houses....whatever, just win them over. Until that happens, WP will be stuck on the back shelf as an afterthought....sadly.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I've been there and done that. I know from first hand experience how it works. Before my Nexus 6 was whitelisted, I wanted to get a new SIM card. My previous device had a micro SIM so I cut it to nano size so I could use it. Later I wanted to get a real nano SIM. I went to a Verizon store. However, they couldn't do anything because my phone was not whitelisted. I went home and grabbed a Verizon Moto X (2014) I happened to have at the time, and went to Verizon again. They activated a new nano SIM on my Moto X, I inserted it in my Nexus 6, and I was good to go. One of the Verizon employees even wanted me to put it in my Nexus 6 there at the store so she could see how it works!

Right. We are saying the exact same thing. You can get your non-Verizon phone to work ONLY if you trick the Verizon network into accepting your phone by first having the SIM card in an already approved phone. That's exactly what I have been saying too.

Your implication when you started this tangent of the thread (as I understood it) was that the Nexus 6 ITSELF is somehow enough to be on the Verizon network. It is not. You can not go and get a brand new Verizon subscription for your non-Google Play, non-Verizon Nexus 6 unless you already own another Verizon phone (or, as the article suggests, you go into a Verizon store and copy an IMEI from a Verizon phone and then do it online using an IMEI to a phone you don't own). Thankfully, Verizon has left open a loophole for some customers.

For non-Verizon Nexus 6 phones that HAVE been bought from the Google Play store, Verizon has whitelisted them, so you don't have to do a workaround. This is what Microsoft could have done, I assume, and what Verizon possibly might have declined to allow. I don't think Microsoft should've made policy based on a possible loophole in Verizon's whitelisting method.

We're basically saying the same thing, except I am emphasizing the fact that to be truly allowed on the Verizon network, a phone has to be approved by Verizon. Otherwise you can just hope that there's a workaround.

And of course, if the 950XL doesn't have CDMA it's irrelevant anyway whether there's still a loophole or not.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Isn't the $300 only if you switch and get an iPhone?

The rep I talked to earlier told me if going to a Next plan from another carrier you will get $300 - no mention of iphone period, if you bring your own device you will get a $100 credit and do not need to sign up for Next plan.

jacob103

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The way Microsoft has treated Windows Phone is sad. No universal radios in these new phone just ruined my interests in Windows phone. They have completely left everyone on Sprint and Verizon dead in the water and I'm kinda of upset. Ive been a huge Windows Phone supporter but the fact that they didn't learn their lesson has got me ready to press the Apple button and just get an iPhone just like all the other bimbo consumers out there.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The way Microsoft has treated Windows Phone is sad. No universal radios in these new phone just ruined my interests in Windows phone. They have completely left everyone on Sprint and Verizon dead in the water and I'm kinda of upset. Ive been a huge Windows Phone supporter but the fact that they didn't learn their lesson has got me ready to press the Apple button and just get an iPhone just like all the other bimbo consumers out there.

You realize it takes 2 to make a business decision. If you truly do want to take a stand and support the product then switch carriers. Quickest way to get a business to change their minds/policies is by hitting them without your buying power. The way Verizon has treated WP in the past I do not blame MSFT one bit for not putting CDMA radios in the device so that it will work on their network.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Right. We are saying the exact same thing. You can get your non-Verizon phone to work ONLY if you trick the Verizon network into accepting your phone by first having the SIM card in an already approved phone. That's exactly what I have been saying too.

Your implication when you started this tangent of the thread (as I understood it) was that the Nexus 6 ITSELF is somehow enough to be on the Verizon network. It is not. You can not go and get a brand new Verizon subscription for your non-Google Play, non-Verizon Nexus 6 unless you already own another Verizon phone (or, as the article suggests, you go into a Verizon store and copy an IMEI from a Verizon phone and then do it online using an IMEI to a phone you don't own). Thankfully, Verizon has left open a loophole for some customers.

For non-Verizon Nexus 6 phones that HAVE been bought from the Google Play store, Verizon has whitelisted them, so you don't have to do a workaround. This is what Microsoft could have done, I assume, and what Verizon possibly might have declined to allow. I don't think Microsoft should've made policy based on a possible loophole in Verizon's whitelisting method.

We're basically saying the same thing, except I am emphasizing the fact that to be truly allowed on the Verizon network, a phone has to be approved by Verizon. Otherwise you can just hope that there's a workaround.

And of course, if the 950XL doesn't have CDMA it's irrelevant anyway whether there's still a loophole or not.

Neither of you are wrong really, while it is true that you cannot activate a new line of service with an unlocked nexus 6, the salesmen at your local corporate store will use this "trick" with a demo unit if you ask them to. It is one of Verizon's dirty little secrets like the $15 Month to Month per line deal you can enable on your account once you go out of contract. It isn't advertised and online reps won't help you do it, but it is real. But my impression from WindowsCentral articles was that the Microsoft/Verizon bridge is burned as of this moment, support for Verizon was pulled on purpose regardless of theoretical possibilities. IMO, the 950/xl may never come, but we haven't seen the last Flagship Lumia on Verizon.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You Verizon guys are still missing the point. Microsoft HAS had their phones on VZW before, and what happened? Delayed launch of the Icon, then retired 6 months later. Phones put in the back of the store. Reps actively steering customers away from buying WP devices. And the latest info we have now is: quoting Cnet "Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and Sprint have no intention to sell either the Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL, according to people familiar with the carriers' plans." Lumia 950 is not an AT&T exclusive in the US, but will other carriers sell it? | Windows Central.

So really, your beef is not with Microsoft but with the carriers who are not carrying these phones. Its ALWAYS been the carriers in the US that decide what phones they carry and whether they want it exclusively, to believe anything else is just fantasy so blaming Microsoft is really just pointless. Unfortunate if you cant switch (or prefer not to) but at least direct your ire to the party responsible for the situation.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am just as frustrated, sad and empty about the strong possibility we will not get these phones on Verizon or even be able to bring one to them. My work pays for my phone and it is on Verizon. It is tough not knowing 100% certain either, but the band listings are so far not good news for us Verizon users...it would be nice to hear something officially or perhaps a 950xl made for Verizon. Until then, I'll keep using my ICON and hope Windows 10 stops the battery drain and be happy with the ICON for a while. If I simply HAVE to upgrade, I'll have to make tough decision between iPhone 6s or the latest Galaxy S series for the camera for sure.

Or hopes we get that ACER Phone...it for sure is better than that Lumia 735.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You Verizon guys are still missing the point. Microsoft HAS had their phones on VZW before, and what happened? Delayed launch of the Icon, then retired 6 months later. Phones put in the back of the store. Reps actively steering customers away from buying WP devices. And the latest info we have now is: quoting Cnet "Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and Sprint have no intention to sell either the Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL, according to people familiar with the carriers' plans." Lumia 950 is not an AT&T exclusive in the US, but will other carriers sell it? | Windows Central.

So really, your beef is not with Microsoft but with the carriers who are not carrying these phones. Its ALWAYS been the carriers in the US that decide what phones they carry and whether they want it exclusively, to believe anything else is just fantasy so blaming Microsoft is really just pointless. Unfortunate if you cant switch (or prefer not to) but at least direct your ire to the party responsible for the situation.

Still, nothing was preventing Microsoft from putting CDMA hardware in the phone so that, regardless if Verizon sold it or not, we could have still purchased it and used it. No different than T-Mobile or any other GSM carrier not selling the phone in their stores either. Just the simple fact that customers on those carriers can still buy it from Microsoft and use it. Verizon customers don't even have that option because of lack of CDMA support.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

You realize it takes 2 to make a business decision. If you truly do want to take a stand and support the product then switch carriers. Quickest way to get a business to change their minds/policies is by hitting them without your buying power. The way Verizon has treated WP in the past I do not blame MSFT one bit for not putting CDMA radios in the device so that it will work on their network.
Not everyone can simply switch carriers. If Verizon is the only carrier with decent coverage, a customer has no choice.

I always recommend selection of a carrier first, not a device. That shiny new device is a useless paperweight if one cannot get coverage.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I agree we've been arguing while agreeing!

If Microsoft had included CDMA in the new phones to work on Verizon, I'm pretty sure Verizon would not have blocked then from their network. The workaround, while an inconvenience, is simple enough. Probably pretty much everyone who would have bought a 950/XL to use on Verizon is already on Verizon, making it a total non issue. Insert your already active SIM and go. At worst, go on eBay and grab a cheap Verizon phone for <$25 and use that for activation.

I think Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by excluding the US's largest carrier. I don't think the reason behind the exclusion is politics. I think it is technical and/or cost.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Caeric

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Not that it always means much, but...

I just called Verizon and their customer service rep advised that they DO plan to support the 950 and 950XL. I asked specifically about those two devices, and in addition to him advising that they plan support for them he advised that Verizon is a 'Microsoft Partner'.

Take it for what it's worth, but at least I have hope. :smile:

CharlieBrown81

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
I called T-Mobile within minutes of the showcase ending on Tuesday, and learned that they will not be carrying either of the Lumia 950 models. Although we can bring one on via BYOD, WiFi calling will not be supported.

This is a huge letdown for me personally, as my workplace has zero TMo reception unless I walk out of the building and to the parking structure. I've had my Lumias for 3 years now and was in dire need for this upgrade, but without WiFi calling a 950XL would a brick at work. :(

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Obviously we don't know what Microsoft and Verizon are up to behind the scenes, but I don't think any manufacturer would be willing to make a device with added cost for Verizon if Verizon doesn't have any intention of explicitly allowing it on their network.

Even a thing that seems minor, like CDMA, probably adds a lot of cost in design, testing, hardware etc.

At the launch event, the antenna in the 950XL was specifically brought up as something special, it might be that placement and design of that played into things. Maybe the Microsoft engineers were able to achieve better signal with lower power use without CDMA, etc. All speculation, but examples of things that go into phone design.

If Verizon flat out says they won't sell or allow it explicitly, there might be enough downsides to putting CDMA in it that it's not worth it financially or technologically.

Last edited:

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Question, in the specs under "connectivity" it says...

Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct, MIMO, Wi-Fi call

would that allow people in T-Mo to use this? Is it the same just like the "hotspot" feature in W10?

mbrooks78

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I confirmed with my Sprint business account manager today that Sprint will not be carrying either, which no one but me probably cares about anyway.

This seems to be a last ditch effort for WP from MS. Its a shame that they didn't go all in. I just hope at&t customers make it enough of a success to warrant a release on other carriers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been with Verizon for a while now. I was disappointed how they handle the Lumina. While I do love "The Network", It is always about choices!!!

Think about it. Why should the carriers in this time of day still dictate what device we use? Does Time Warner dictate the computer you use? NO! Just get me connected to the net! That is it!

If Verizon isn't thinking about Windows Phone, I will change carriers, and I've been with them for about nine years! You got to have the device I want PERIOD!!! And Being in Cali I doubt I'll have much problem with AT&T!

Sunil Somarajan

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
BTW it supports LTE Band 12 on T-Mobile. This is awesome for many reasons T-Mobile users are aware. VoLTE+really good speeds.

iPhone6s supports Band 12

if we can actually get hands on one of these that is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05