Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm baffled as to why anyone would want to stay on Verizon. They were caught not so long ago putting a special tracking ID in your web traffic that can't be removed and it took them 6 months before they provided a way to opt out. They claimed 3rd parties couldn't use the ID just before a 3rd party said they would be using it. And now if you access an AOL owned web site (MapQuest, Tech Crunch, Huffington Post, etc) they are using it there to build user profiles of your web browsing behavior. Sorry, those people are evil if you ask me...

What does this have to do with whether or not the 950XL will work in Verizon's network? And for the record, AT&T was doing the exact same thing.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The open access agreement for the 700MHz spectrum that Verizon won on auction requires them to provide open access to their LTE bands. This does not include CDMA. But a phone that can run on LTE only would work or Verizon would have to fight the FCC over it. Of course, they've been caught ignoring the agreement in the past and tried to sue to remove it. So there is that.

This is why MS just doesn't want to deal with them unless it's on MS' terms. I agree with them. Sucks for those who want to stay on Verizon, but if all of you speak up directly with them loud enough, and these Lumias sell enough phones, Verizon may eventually cave. Will this phone be a huge hit? Normally, I would say no, but then, there's been a lot of buzz and press on the phone and this whole carrier issue. Combined with the Surfacebook buzz, they might pull in a lot more customers than we think. To really get any movement with the carriers, however, these two models need to sell at least a couple of million units on AT&T and through retail channels. Who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has stopped, Verizon has not and continues to insert trackers unless you explicitly opt out. Ad-blockers don't stop it.

As for what it has to do with working on Verizon's network, the question is why you would want this or any other phone on a carrier who blatantly is tracking your every online action.

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
...but if all of you speak up directly with them loud enough, and these Lumias sell enough phones, Verizon may eventually cave.

I doubt that will make a difference. Verizon is going to wait for a surface phone. It was said that a surface phone in 2016 was within the realm of possibility and that is a brand with a name behind. While we see Lumia as a big name, it's pretty much unheard of to the rest of the customer base (at least in the US). By the time they see how well it is selling, the surface phone might be coming soon enough and they will just wait. IMO

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm baffled as to why anyone would want to stay on Verizon. They were caught not so long ago putting a special tracking ID in your web traffic that can't be removed and it took them 6 months before they provided a way to opt out. They claimed 3rd parties couldn't use the ID just before a 3rd party said they would be using it. And now if you access an AOL owned web site (MapQuest, Tech Crunch, Huffington Post, etc) they are using it there to build user profiles of your web browsing behavior. Sorry, those people are evil if you ask me...

Some of us don't really have a choice on carries, some places have no GSM based carriers, were I'm at there is a small company called viaero wireless, and unlock GSM phones work on there network, but there network is not even close to as good as Verizon. As fare as speed and coverage goes.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I doubt that will make a difference. Verizon is going to wait for a surface phone. It was said that a surface phone in 2016 was within the realm of possibility and that is a brand with a name behind. While we see Lumia as a big name, it's pretty much unheard of to the rest of the customer base (at least in the US). By the time they see how well it is selling, the surface phone might be coming soon enough and they will just wait. IMO

Ehh, there's still no guarantee that Verizon will carry the Surface Phone when it comes out...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Funny situation at work yesterday...our company owner saw me fiddling with my ICON and going back to 8.1 to load this new build on it, so I let him know my phone would be out for a bit. He said get yourself a top of the line iPhone 6s+. Tempting but I just love my Windows Phone. When he saw my phone was back in order but I was commenting on how now Cortana is braining the battery on this build, he said, go on...get you an iPhone 6s+, 128GB. Oh, why is it so hard to pry this ICON out of my hand and why do I think there is hope for a Lumia 950xl working on Verizon eventually?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ehh, there's still no guarantee that Verizon will carry the Surface Phone when it comes out...
There is no guarantee Verizon will be ALLOWED to carry a Surface phone. Verizon would need to agree to MS updating the phones as they see fit. And it Verizon does that, there is no reason to think they wouldn't be allowed to sell 950s either. Surface phone would be even less desirable for Verizon to sell than the 950s. The demand for Surface phones would be lower due to a higher price and/or features only useful for business.

Last edited:

Christopher Senn1

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Funny situation at work yesterday...our company owner saw me fiddling with my ICON and going back to 8.1 to load this new build on it, so I let him know my phone would be out for a bit. He said get yourself a top of the line iPhone 6s+. Tempting but I just love my Windows Phone. When he saw my phone was back in order but I was commenting on how now Cortana is braining the battery on this build, he said, go on...get you an iPhone 6s+, 128GB. Oh, why is it so hard to pry this ICON out of my hand and why do I think there is hope for a Lumia 950xl working on Verizon eventually?

iPhone users bragging about how their out of date technology is the greatest and best? Shocker!!!

I swear every time I hear iPhone users brag about new awesome features I really find myself saying 9 times out of 10 ya Android was doing that in 2013. Welcome to 3 years ago.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
iPhone users bragging about how their out of date technology is the greatest and best? Shocker!!!

I swear every time I hear iPhone users brag about new awesome features I really find myself saying 9 times out of 10 ya Android was doing that in 2013. Welcome to 3 years ago.

If I am given free reign to get a new phone, TODAY, it would be between holding on to my ICON, the iPhone 6s+ 128GB or the Note 5...Camera is the biggest thing for me, with the "Microsoft Experience" being the next...

Heck, I'd pre-order the 950xl now if it worked with CDMA...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
SO, I saw an ad last night for AT&T for a 10 + 5Gb for the iPhone. Is this 15gb of data for $30 a month ? Wonder if this would work on the 950XL ?

I have unlimited data but, to be honest with you, I have never used over 12gb in a month, so a 15gb plan as long as it had tethering option, would be something I would move to but, more than $30 a month for data is not going to work.

My company told me to pick out a phone, the Problem is, I have an ICON and there is not anything worthly or higher than the ICON on Verizon, so I might have to chose between the LG G4 or the iPhone 6s....ugh, wish Verizon would get their crap together....

There is no way to win on Verizon....

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I will never switch to an Apple or Android device. I'll keep rocking with my Icon and wait for the next flagship on Verizon. I'd love the 950XL, but if it isn't meant to be, I'll wait.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I will never switch to an Apple or Android device. I'll keep rocking with my Icon and wait for the next flagship on Verizon. I'd love the 950XL, but if it isn't meant to be, I'll wait.

That's the fence I'm on...the timing with the offer to get the top of the line iPhone and this latest build of Windows 10 on my ICON draining batter worse than ever, it has caused me to reflect...it is just to hard to have to try to go to Android or iOS. :(

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
There is no guarantee Verizon will be ALLOWED to carry a Surface phone. Verizon would need to agree to MS updating the phones as they see fit. And it Verizon does that, there is no reason to think they wouldn't be allowed to sell 950s either. Surface phone would be even less desirable for Verizon to sell than the 950s. The demand for Surface phones would be lower due to a higher price and/or features only useful for business.

Verizon was planning to begin transitioning to an LTE only network by 2016-2017 by selling LTE only phones. Eventually they plan to drop support for 3G CDMA all together. So perhaps when that day comes, unlocked phones will finally be able to work on Verizon's network without needing a CDMA activation.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I put the new Win10 on my phone. Seems to be less of a drain this time around, but only got it loaded last night. There is supposed to be another preview soon with a fix for that as Cortana seems to be the culprit. I'm hoping Microsoft and Verizon work something out asap, but I'm very satisfied with my Icon. Haven't found anything better, yet.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
That's the fence I'm on...the timing with the offer to get the top of the line iPhone and this latest build of Windows 10 on my ICON draining batter worse than ever, it has caused me to reflect...it is just to hard to have to try to go to Android or iOS. :(

I'm in the same boat too. I already have much invested in the Windows ecosystem in terms of games and apps. That being said, Microsoft has released a lot of core Windows Phone features on Android and iOS now so transitioning wouldn't be too hard. I'd still prefer to stay in the Windows ecosystem though.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I put the new Win10 on my phone. Seems to be less of a drain this time around, but only got it loaded last night. There is supposed to be another preview soon with a fix for that as Cortana seems to be the culprit. I'm hoping Microsoft and Verizon work something out asap, but I'm very satisfied with my Icon. Haven't found anything better, yet.

This build is snappier...and one thing we need to remember, there seems to be a lot of "chatter" (for a lack of better words) when installing a new build with it resyncing text messages, OneDrive pictures and other various synced settings and features...I just rebooted my ICON...when battery is back to 100%, I'm going to take it off the charger and get a true report on the battery drain.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

If work is buying the device and paying the monthly fee, only on Verizon, take the iPhone. Buy the 950(XL) from Microsoft and go prepaid GSM.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
This build is snappier...and one thing we need to remember, there seems to be a lot of "chatter" (for a lack of better words) when installing a new build with it resyncing text messages, OneDrive pictures and other various synced settings and features...I just rebooted my ICON...when battery is back to 100%, I'm going to take it off the charger and get a true report on the battery drain.

I'm scared to put the new build on my phone because I put one of the early builds on my 928 and it caused so many issues with my phone like knocking the battery down from all day to just an hour on a full charge. Not to mention while letting it charge over night, sometimes for some reason, the phone would get extremely hot and almost burn my hand to pick it up. The build basically destroyed my phone and I had to use the warranty I had on it to get a replacement 928. Ever since then, I've been hesitant to put Windows 10 mobile on my phone again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786