Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Hypothetically, even though its not compatible with CDMA networks, it might still be compatible with Verizon's LTE network. It does indeed lack support for Verizon's most commonly used band 13, but it does support Verizon's other bands, 2 and 4. One of those bands, Verizon is required by the FCC to accept all compatible phones.

However, even if an activated SIM works like in the 950, you'll basically be limited to data-only. Im not sure if Verizon supports VoLTE yet for calls and texts.

The problem there is that Verizon still uses their CDMA network for phone calls and text/SMS. You can probably ride on their LTE network but for data only.
But then, you'd be basically buying a Microsoft version of an iPod Touch, and what's the point then? Just get an iPod in that case, it's cheaper.

Kevin Keyser

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
The Verizon exlusive Lumia 735 and the unlocked 950xl are the same on the specs on Microsofts store if you compare them. So in theory the phone should work just as the Lumia 735

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon exlusive Lumia 735 and the unlocked 950xl are the same on the specs on Microsofts store if you compare them. So in theory the phone should work just as the Lumia 735

I know this is a looooong thread. You should really read the previous posts to see that this concepts has been proposed and proven an inaccurate proposition. . .

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
You do what's best for you bro, I'll be a friendly devil's advocate though. What if a new build comes out in two weeks and everyone is raving about how W10 is finally stable/ready for primetime. How will you feel about that, will you stare at your Icon sitting in a drawer and end up putting the iPhone in the drawer now? If you did and your boss saw this, would he feel like they wasted money on you? You can always go back to 8.1 and have a stable Icon, and give yourself until the launch of the 950's to decide on moving to W10 or an iPhone. I have a 930 and I want so badly to use W10 as a daily driver, but I rely on my phone for work and I'm afraid to do it. In the meantime I still enjoy my 930. :)

True that...and this is one of the reasons I am not getting the iPhone for now. I just simply prefer the Icon and Windows 10. Unless he comes in and right out says to go get the iPhone, which he won't. But if that situation plays out like you said, we just pass my iPhone 6s+ phone on to someone else. :)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I watched the new Windows Weekly show last night, and Mary Jo Foley said the phone is built to be universal, and has the technical requirements to run on Verizon. However Verizon must "authenticate the chips" to be allowed on their network, and they won't (or haven't yet) certified the new 950 and XL.

https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly/episodes/435?autostart=false
at 1hr mark.

Which in theory, could be why the pre-orders haven't started (and also due to FCC approvals)...this gives us a glimmer of hope it seems.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

and it's groundhog day again LOL. No, they don't have the same specs according to MS. The page that you are referring to has an abbreviated version of the 735's specs. If you go to Microsoft Lumia 735 Specifications - Microsoft - USA you can see that the CDMA bands are explicitly called out. Nevermind that the demo placards explicitly say that they won't work with CDMA carriers. We're still waiting of FCC cert docs to be posted to serve as the final word on the subject.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WOW!!! Desperation by many of you not willing to accept the truth.....For all of you who think it will or even could work on Verizon network I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona, because hey i'm still holding out that there could, one day be an ocean there, you know if the sea level rises enough.....global warming

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
(grasping for hope) Placecards can easily be replaced :wink:

Granted. But if people are wondering what MS's official stance is at the moment...that's their stance. As I said, the FCC certification documents will be the final word on the matter when they are available.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
WOW!!! Desperation by many of you not willing to accept the truth.....For all of you who think it will or even could work on Verizon network I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona, because hey i'm still holding out that there could, one day be an ocean there, you know if the sea level rises enough.....global warming

Today it's global warming. In the past, it was that California would fall into the sea because of an earthquake of Lex Luthor proportions.

Back to the topic, who the villain is in this carrier story should be revealed when the unlocked 950/950 XLs ship from the Microsoft Store.

If the unlocked 950/950 XLs work on Sprint's network, then Verizon moves up to Arch-villain status in this Windows Phones/Mobile saga.

Pretty simple.

Zalcron

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
idk if this was posted or not but if you have a active sim card and you put it in a phone that's unlocked but also compatible with Verizon it will work.... I had a Nexus 6 they refused to activate it because it wasn't in their system I cut my sim and put it in the phone and it worked as long as it has the correct bands it should work and that's what I'm hoping for I'm going to try it once I get my hands on one

Edit: just saw the photo well that sucks guess ill continue to wait

i posted the same thing a few days ago...it will work on Verizon. just put your SIM in it. even though that image posted says it won't it won't work on CDMA, it'll work on their 4G

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
i posted the same thing a few days ago...it will work on Verizon. just put your SIM in it. even though that image posted says it won't it won't work on CDMA, it'll work on their 4G

But, if it is also missing band 13 per the published specifications, then one would be limited to LTE on AWS (1700/2100) in just those areas where they even have it deployed....in other words t-mobile-like indoor coverage from 3 years ago. The FCC cert docs will be very telling in that regard as well.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But, if it is also missing band 13 per the published specifications, then one would be limited to LTE on AWS (1700/2100) in just those areas where they even have it deployed....in other words t-mobile-like indoor coverage from 3 years ago. The FCC cert docs will be very telling in that regard as well.

I found the FCC cert docs for the 950xl. There is no mention of CDMA in any of the test documents, only WCDMA.

You can get to the FCC docs from here: Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Here is also the description they provide for the equipment class:

Equipment Class: JBP - Part 15 Class B Computing Device Peripheral
Description of product as it is marketed: (NOTE: This text will appear below the equipment class on the grant):GSM/WCDMA/LTE cellular device w/BT, BLE, WLAN and NFC

If you check the same docs for the Icon it lists CDMA:

Description of product as it is marketed: (NOTE: This text will appear below the equipment class on the grant):GSM/WCDMA/LTE/CDMA cellular device w/BT, BT LE, WLAN, and NFC

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I found the FCC cert docs for the 950xl. There is no mention of CDMA in any of the test documents, only WCDMA.

You can get to the FCC docs from here: Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Description of product as it is marketed: (NOTE: This text will appear below the equipment class on the grant):GSM/WCDMA/LTE cellular device w/BT, BLE, WLAN and NFC

Description of product as it is marketed: (NOTE: This text will appear below the equipment class on the grant):GSM/WCDMA/LTE/CDMA cellular device w/BT, BT LE, WLAN, and NFC

They pulled the information from the wrong device from what I can tell. I've seen those FCC docs..they are for the RM-1085. The dual-sim 950XL in the stores is RM-1116. But still, good find :)

And I don't see a link to the FCC docs themselves on the phonescoop page...just a tabular representation of the data that they compiled. The official documentation that I've been referring to can be found here (in the case of the device RM-1085 referenced in the phonescoop page):

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=2772291

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Only problem I see with that is that the 950XL is RM-1116, not RM-1085.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers