Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see that now, although in some earlier leaks this year the XL was referred to as the RM-1085. Could this be the 850XL?

Possibly...or perhaps MS is purposely obsfucating things by releasing the demo units under a bogus RM number when all along the RM-1085 was the correct one. From the documentation, the RM-1085 has the following accessories:

Battery BV-T4D / Charger AC-100E / Headset WH-308

If we can cross-reference those to the 950XL or another device, we'll have our answer.

Also, based on the testing documentation at https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2771275 we can see that the RM-1085 devices being tested (in June) have firmware versions that could correspond to earlier versions to that seen in the demo units in the pics here http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/387103-5.htm

The AC-100E didn't return any hits from searching, so looks like it's a new product. The E might indicate quick-charging...so again, more circumstantial evidence suggesting that the RM-1085 might actually be in fact the "real" 950XL. Very interesting if that's the case..I've never seen a company use a fake-out FCC ID before to help keep specs under wraps. I guess we'll know soon enough if "real" units start arriving in stores. Definitely looking forward to solving this mystery :D

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The fact that there's still speculation, even after Microsoft placards, in a Microsoft store, specifically call out the fact that the device won't work on CDMA, this thread deserves the largest Captain Picard face palm gif that one can dredge up from the interwebs.

Couldn't figure out how to attach it though. So.......*Face Palm*

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The fact that there's still speculation, even after Microsoft placards, in a Microsoft store, specifically call out the fact that the device won't work on CDMA, this thread deserves the largest Captain Picard face palm gif that one can dredge up from the interwebs.

To their defense, I do feel the pain as I do also want a 950XL on Verizon...Paul Thurrott all but said it was a dead issue...that placard all but confirms it but Mary Jo Foley gave some glimmer of hope this week (but doubtful)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Here you go... straight from my Placebo Antivirus app (now over 1/2 million times installed though it actually does nothing).

Logo.png

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
It's always possible the placard (official documentation in a Microsoft store) was correct at that moment. It's also possible that the phones are, as Mary Jo Foley describes, "universal" phones and just haven't been certified for CDMA, yet. It's also possible that the recall of the demo phones could be related and Microsoft might be getting that certification taken care of. These are realistic possibilities and since nothing has been 100% confirmed on anything related to the 950 and 950XL working on Verizon's network, this thread is likely going to keep growing until all possibilities are realistically exhausted. As someone said previously, until the FCC docs are available, we are all merely speculating. Some are positive and some are negative. There will always be skeptics and those full of hope. I'm just thankful I have a great working Icon in the meantime.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Here you go... straight from my Placebo Antivirus app (now over 1/2 million times installed though it actually does nothing).

View attachment 114503

LOL, kind of reminds me of a couple of lines from Dumb and Dumber, in this instance Lloyd Christmas is played by the hopeful prospective buyers of the Lumia 950 devices and Mary is Verizon Wireless:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
But, if it is also missing band 13 per the published specifications, then one would be limited to LTE on AWS (1700/2100) in just those areas where they even have it deployed....in other words t-mobile-like indoor coverage from 3 years ago. The FCC cert docs will be very telling in that regard as well.

It was also said in REDDIT that someone put in a Verizon 4G sim and it did nothing....

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So to sum it up: Microsoft says on their website and in printed material in the store that this phone "will not work with CDMA carriers", there has been NO word at all from Verizon that they have any interest in carrying this phone, Windows Phones have previously barely been acknowledged by them in support and sales channels, and now the FCC seems to say there is no CDMA on this phone...

dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267ea271579118ef4292ffb25c6.jpg

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
LOL, kind of reminds me of a couple of lines from Dumb and Dumber, in this instance Lloyd Christmas is played by the hopeful prospective buyers of the Lumia 950 devices and Mary is Verizon Wireless:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!

Haha I didn't even see this when I posted my image above. LOL.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I watched the new Windows Weekly show last night, and Mary Jo Foley said the phone is built to be universal, and has the technical requirements to run on Verizon. However Verizon must "authenticate the chips" to be allowed on their network, and they won't (or haven't yet) certified the new 950 and XL.

https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly/episodes/435?autostart=false
at 1hr mark.

Is the interview with Mary Jo Foley just discounted entirely?

I listened to till they were done talking about phones (from the 1hr mark). Really an Eye opener. Paul stated that "Microsoft admitied that Windows Phone is a failure and they had one of Microsoft's largest tax right offs". They are NO longer trying to complete with iOS or Android.

This is VERY bad for people dreaming of a world of Apps, this will be very limited for a long time or till when MS finally throughs in the towel (this opens the door for them to give up on it). As you will get apps here and there but, the BIG boys who are not creating an app for WP, the chances of them doing it, has dropped even more. So, if you were looking forward to that HEAD to HEAD on iOS or Android on the apps front, the chance of this happening is almost nill.

This is one of the things you should be asking yourself...Should I even buy a 950XL as a year from now there could be no support for it any more ?

The word is from Mary Jo is that she BELIEVES (you need to listen to how she said it to understand why I am saying this) that it was Verizon's fault, As they need a key and Verizon would not enable it. Then we have Paul who said that this is Microsoft is only working with carriers that supported them, this is why Verizon's network is disabled, by Microsoft.

So what I got from that is, the SAME INFO we had before (as the 950/950XL on Verizon). They gave no rumor, or information that they would or wouldn't work on Verizon (Besides Mary Jo, like the rest of us here, would really like the 950XL on Verizon).

This is hardware bands that are enabled or disabled, this is a Microsoft thing. If Microsoft enables these bands, then the fight would be with Verizon to activate it.

Then we have the FCC info, that shows NO sign of CDMA, this is almost like a NAIL in the coffin thing. As a cell phone that is aprroved to be used in the USA needs to be tested by the FCC and it's all documented. WIth No CDMA, this is another killer here.

Unless Microsoft releases another phone, like a 949XL or something, in it's current form, the 950XL will not work on Verizon, even the FCC says so (no CDMA support). We have seen in the past that doucments show up in the FCC days before the phone is on the market, so if there is a CHANCE, it will be in another phone with a different model number.

If you think it will after this, I have a SWEET bridge for sale in NYC, sweet deal..... come on get it while it's hot !

Sorry guys/gals, It really is looking like the 950XL WILL NOT work on Verizon...No matter how much you want it to.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
While it's true that Microsoft is relegating Windows Phone to niche status (as it has been), they are very bullish about creating the app store for Windows 10 and getting developers there to make Universal apps. I don't know if it will help W10M, since the use scenarios for phones vs laptops/PCs are very different, but there should be a spillover effect. I don't think Microsoft is ready to throw int he towel on Windows Phone yet. It's still their plain A to have their own mobile offering. However, it is clear that the Plan B of being an "alternative ecosystem" on iOS and Android is very strongly at the forefront of their strategy as well.

Which frankly is the most important thing to me, and which makes me secure in choosing Lumia 950XL as my next phone. If MS decides to call it a day in mobile development, I can just get an Android phone and keep using the same Microsoft services. That is a much more important aspect to me than the viability of the OS itself.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, if these phones or the rumored upcoming Surface phone won't work on CDMA carriers, then Microsoft shouldn't even bother with W10M in the US because no developer in their right mind would focus on a platform that explicitly excludes half or more of a potential market. Outside of the US Windows Phone/Mobile continues to grow. But the US has little chance if AT&T and T-Mobile are the only participating carriers. I for one would have to leave Windows Phone/Mobile because AT&T service is terrible where I need it most and T-Mobile is even worse. So if I wanted a new phone I'd have to go iPhone or Android on Verizon, neither of which are very acceptable alternatives.

This is another Microsoft PR disaster. "Hey, check out these new awesome phones...that you may or may not be able to use!"

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
(sigh) I believed in Microsoft, but now... i just don't know...

I guess there's only one reasonable thing left for us to do... Everyone grab your torches and pitchforks and let's go visit Microsoft HQ. But nah, I guess the real solution for me would be to just temporarily upgrade to a Lumia Icon from my Lumia 928 until Microsoft hopefully releases a new flagship phone on Verizon. If this really is the end of Windows Phone/Mobile, then we'll see what the state of Android and iOS is if that time does come.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is another Microsoft PR disaster. "Hey, check out these new awesome phones...that you may or may not be able to use!"

You must be new here. As Verizon customers, we have been dealing with this on EVERY Verson of WIndows Phone..... Windows Phone 7...4-6 months after AT&T had them. AT&T had 8.1 devices long before Verizon did and same with current 8.1 devices... We did get models after a while but, for the most part, lower end models than the Nokia line (Anyone remember the HTC Trophy ?)

So, If we DO get the 950XL, according to paterns (going WAY BACK TO FLIP PHONES), Verizon will get it in 6 months, after they strip it down, Verizonize it and the phone is completely outdated...

This is NOT an iPhone after all....or even a flagship Android device...

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
We DO NOT have the FCC info, as reported above, since the info someone got was for a different model. Just clarifying the facts as I've caught them so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05