Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
That Brazil FCC listing clearly shows CDMA 800 and 900MHz bands (EDGE) and LTE Band 13 (700MHz). Clearly that version of the hardware is physically capable. Of course, this goes back to the CDMA authentication ******* contest with Verizon, even if the bands were enabled.
Actually, it does neither.

It lists WCDMA bands...which, as has been clarified a number of times in this thread, is a GSM protocol. EDGE, is of course also a GSM protocol (2G). CDMA and GSM services in the U.S. run over the same frequency range (850 and 1900)...but the test was ONLY done for GSM mode transmissions.

aixa de Frequ?ncias Tx
(MHz)
Pot?ncia M?xima de Sa?da
(W)
Designa??o de Emiss?es Tecnologia SAR
(W/kg)
Cabe?a
SAR
(W/kg)
Corpo
824,0 a 849,0 1,982 200KG7W GSM/GPRS/EDGE
0,231 0,191
898,5 a 901,0 1,941 200KG7W GSM/GPRS/EDGE
0,365 0,207
907,5 a 915,0 1,941 200KG7W GSM/GPRS/EDGE
0,365 0,207
1710,0 a 1785,0 0,991 200KG7W GSM/GPRS/EDGE
0,349 0,106
1895,0 a 1900,0 1,042 200KG7W GSM/GPRS/EDGE
0,154 0,063
824,0 a 849,0 0,294 5M00G7W WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA 0,182 0,174
898,5 a 901,0 0,297 5M00G7W WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA 0,304 0,206
907,5 a 915,0 0,297 5M00G7W WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA 0,304 0,206
1895,0 a 1900,0 0,297 5M00G7W WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA 0,308 0,149
1920,0 a 1980,0 0,303 5M00G7W WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA 0,209 0,165

Also, it does not show Band 13. Band 13 has an uplink frequency of 777 ? 787MHz and those are not listed in the certification document. The tested frequencies of 703-748MHz correspond to Band 28.

703,0 a 748,0
0,189 3M00G7W/5M00G7W/10M0G7W LTE 0,083 0,087
703,0 a 748,0 0,189 15M0G7W/20M0G7W LTE 0,083 0,087

That said, none of that means that the phone is not physically (or even logically/programmatically) capable of either CDMA operations or Band 13 LTE...just the certification process in Brazil did not test those.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's a bit of a head scratcher. Verizon is actually planning to block authentication of the 950/XL on their network: Verizon reported to be blocking network access to Lumia 950 and 950XL

Why is that a head scratcher? That's what most have been saying Verizon will do. It's exactly what Verizon has done (at least initially) with every other unlocked device that was technically compatible with Verizon's network, but not sold or supported by them. This is not specific to WP and it's entirely expected.

The only unanswered question is why MS appears to have deliberately disabled CDMA on their phones which technically could have connected to Verizon's network.

Mr McPhisto, a Verizon employee who occasionally posts in these forums, suggested this was possibly how MS intends to protect themselves. It costs less to tell people the devices don't work on Verizon at all, than it costs to suggest the devices are compatible and then have tens of thousands returned because customers could not get Verizon to activate them. No idea if that's the real reason, but it at least makes some sense.

Maybe the threat of legal action or the courts will eventually force Verizon to certify these devices for use on their network, but until then, it's time for the hopefuls to come back to reality and stop hoping.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It is puzzling that unlocked Nexus 5X and 6P will work on all major U.S. carriers including Verizon and Sprint but the Lumia 950 and 950 XL won't (as far as the people on these forums can tell).

The Nexus gets updates directly from Google so it can't be that VZW wants to load up the phones with crapware as a requirement to support Nexus on its network, right? Do the Nexus phones generate that much more business than Windows Phones for VZW and Sprint that both companies accept the unlocked phones on their networks?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It is puzzling that unlocked Nexus 5X and 6P will work on all major U.S. carriers including Verizon and Sprint but the Lumia 950 and 950 XL won't (as far as the people on these forums can tell).

The Nexus gets updates directly from Google so it can't be that VZW wants to load up the phones with crapware as a requirement to support Nexus on its network, right? Do the Nexus phones generate that much more business than Windows Phones for VZW and Sprint that both companies accept the unlocked phones on their networks?

At the very least, refusing to activate Nexus devices generates a lot more complaints. Nevertheless, a Google search reveals that Verizon has, on many occasions, refused to activate particular Nexus devices on their network:

https://www.google.ch/search?q=verizon+refuse+activate+nexus&ie=&oe=#

If that's happened to multiple Nexus devices, it shouldn't be puzzling to anybody that it's happening to the L950/XL as well.

Last edited:

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone shed more light on one posters "great" working estimate of ONLY a total of 700,000 Windows smartphones sold by Verizon? And, an estimated 300,000 "flagship" Windows smartphones?

Any "contrasting estimates" for ATT?

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
OK ... for all of us "pissed off" at Verizon customers - IF, "the 950XL and 950" are offered "unlocked" does that technically make it work on Verizon in the US market - OR - does "Verizon" still have to "carry it"?

PLEASE SAY YES !!!

Listen to the TWIT podcast episode 435 windows say what!? It's about 28 or 29 mins in and they explain the truth behind Verizon secret need of control.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I stated earlier in this posting that I would not blow up my Verizon Family plan again to get the 950 XL and change to AT&T. It appears that I won't have to. I just spoke with AT&T rep and got a price of $55 per month for unlimited voice and text plus 2 GB of data per month. This is an individual plan and it's quite attractive. I'm luck in that I have access Wi Fi access at home and work so 2 GB should be more than enough.

For those in the same boat, you might want to take a look at this. This all hinges on Verizon and MS not coming to an agreement that lets customers use the new 950 line on Verizon. I don't think I'll hold my breath until this happens. LOL

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone shed more light on one posters "great" working estimate of ONLY a total of 700,000 Windows smartphones sold by Verizon? And, an estimated 300,000 "flagship" Windows smartphones?

Any "contrasting estimates" for ATT?

That was my post. The numbers are of course an estimate based on a number of sources, all who estimate different numbers. But they should be in the ballpark. So for example, there are about 180,000,000 smart phones in the US. MS has 2.6% of those, so about 4.8 million WP in the US. Ad Duplex monthly stats show about 12.4% of their WP traffic is on Verizon. So now we are down to 600k WP on Verizon. Since high end phones on Verizon have never sold well (the HTC M8 WP sold better than the Icon and still didn't make the top 10 WP in the US) so I guessed maybe half the users might be in the market for a 950 hence 300k.

Going by Ad Duplex's numbers for AT&T (33%) and making similar assumptions, you are about 800k phones.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Never going to happen! Time to start hoping the Surface Phone comes early next year and on Verizon��

I have no expectation of either the 950XL or 950 to be on Verizon but I do have hope that another vender like HTC or Samsung may have a worth while offering show up on Verizon before the Surface Phone would come out.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Seems like time for a FCC complaint.... IF Verizon actually told Microsoft that they would not activate the 950/XL on their network... Then it's time people.

Anyway about it, We can all complain here on how much we want the 950 on Verizon but, till Microsoft enables the bands or Verizon publicly states that they will take the phone, Nothing can happen. And complaining to this forum and thread DOES NOTHING besides a little venting (and everyone needs to time to time).

SO, if you want this to happen, this is what needs to be done.

1. File a complaint with the FCC, Nothing that it's quoted that "Verizon stated to Microosft that they would not activate the phone on their network"
2. Call (first call), then tweet, then facebook to Verizon say, get your crap together and get this phone.
3. Contact Microsoft and let them know, the MORE people who say something, the better the chance a dialog with Verizon can be opened up and this about the ONLY way we can see this happening.

Anyway about it, in it's current form, the 950 or 950XL will not work on Verizon and the ONLY way to get it to, is to be heard.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I stated earlier in this posting that I would not blow up my Verizon Family plan again to get the 950 XL and change to AT&T. It appears that I won't have to. I just spoke with AT&T rep and got a price of $55 per month for unlimited voice and text plus 2 GB of data per month. This is an individual plan and it's quite attractive. I'm luck in that I have access Wi Fi access at home and work so 2 GB should be more than enough.

For those in the same boat, you might want to take a look at this. This all hinges on Verizon and MS not coming to an agreement that lets customers use the new 950 line on Verizon. I don't think I'll hold my breath until this happens. LOL

For $35, no added fees, you can get 2.5GB data, at slower about 10MBps speeds on Cricket and no overage charge if you go over 2.5GB, but are throttled to 128kb :eek:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

This is where Verizon has me by the balls, Data plan. Right now with Unlimited data is $24.90 a month (After my corp discount), I use about 4-12gb a month, and normally about 5-6gb a month. This is a single phone on a single line (my ICON). Sure I have Wi-Fi at home but, LTE is faster than my WI-FI so why would I bother ?

Only way I can go to AT&T is to get at least a 10-15gb data plan for no more than $30 a month. The 2.5gb plus overages would cost me WAY more than I pay now.

I like how I can use my phone, NEVER worry about data costs and even my texts, Picture messages and calls, are a fair level over what I use but, not excessive over (my main numbers are friends and family so I don't even get changed for them), so as far as I see, I never have to WATCH anything for going over. I don't even think about it and never have. It's nice not to deal with that ON TOP of all the other BS in my life.

If you start with a 2.5gb plan, your always watching your data, Then when you want to watch that youtube video, or stream that radio station on 25 days in your billing cycle, you might not be able to. This is something I never have to worry about.

Even if Verizon ups it to $50, it's still cheaper than I would pay else where and that is sad...

I wonder if AT&T does have something that would fit my needs, Hitting a $55 bill would be nice of course but, I would rather pay what I am now but, not to worry about ANYTHING.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Uh why bother with Wi-Fi? Because Wi-Fi is still fast and you can get a cheaper plan bro. Do you even have a realistic idea of how much data you HAVE to use? Spend a month with Wi-Fi on and then check the data sense app, you might surprise yourself. I have 10 people sharing 15Gb of data, and we almost never get to the edge of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte