Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Actually, you get your text back (or are supposed to) simply by going into Messaging and Settings and selecting Download from Any Time. That has nothing to do with restoring a backup. I tried both last night to the same text results. I have usually done the clean install method and until last night had all my texts.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Any word on a resolution for this or what people are doing to fix this? Really want those text messages back.

They came back after a day or so. I turned off syncing and rebooted, and then turned on. Also changed the time period a few times. Don't know if that was what did it, but the next day everything was back. I wouldn't worry, just let it do its thing. It did take longer than it has taken before, though.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I do have 3 updates stuck. Voicemail (Verizon's POS), which always gets stuck and never updates. Lumia Help & Tips, this is the first time it's been stuck. Motion Data, this is the first time it's gotten stuck.

Just turned off syncing and rebooted. Going to see if your trick works.

Zalcron

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's an interesting idea for a workaround. I actually have a Nano and microsim of the same number (don't ask me how) if I could try it on 950 I would love to try it.

This is why I don't understand why everyone is still up in arms about this. it will work. I walked into a Verizon store and they refused to switch it around so I had to get creative. When the nexus 6 came out they didn't have it in their system and they said it wouldn't activate. did my work around, and it worked flawlessly DESPITE being a phone they never offered for over 6 MONTHS after I activated mine. even had VoLTE working

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
This is why I don't understand why everyone is still up in arms about this. it will work. I walked into a Verizon store and they refused to switch it around so I had to get creative. When the nexus 6 came out they didn't have it in their system and they said it wouldn't activate. did my work around, and it worked flawlessly DESPITE being a phone they never offered for over 6 MONTHS after I activated mine. even had VoLTE working

You are assuming that the phones have access to the CDMA firmware. This has not been confirmed, and so far has been pointing to not having access (webcasts/news articles/Microsoft tech specs).

I should also add, while I hope that VoLTE will be its savior, so far only Verizon and AT&T can talk internetwork. Otherwise, VoLTE on Verizon only works with others who have VoLTE enabled on Verizon (my understanding).

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Best to wait for the 950 to be released first to see if anyone is willing to attempt to try to make that phone work on Verizon somehow.

Already been tested with a 950XL, look back a handful of pages....It was on REDDIT, they put in a VZW SIM and it did nothing.

Hackers have been trying this for YEARS NOW, there is no way unlock a Band on modern phones...

Unless Microsoft opens then up or VZW and MS makes a partnership in some way, there is no way in it's current form that they 950XL will work on Verizon wireless...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Already been tested with a 950XL, look back a handful of pages....It was on REDDIT, they put in a VZW SIM and it did nothing.

Hackers have been trying this for YEARS NOW, there is no way unlock a Band on modern phones...

Unless Microsoft opens then up or VZW and MS makes a partnership in some way, there is no way in it's current form that they 950XL will work on Verizon wireless...
It has been speculated that the samples in the stores won't work with ANY SIM because it would violate some regulations since the phone hasn't passed certification. In other words, MS may have the SIM slots disabled for now. That MIGHT be why the Verizon SIM doesn't work. Not saying I believe that but its possible.

Bands can be unlocked in modern phones. It depends on why and how they were locked. There is a thread in the forums describing how to turn on T-Mobile bands on AT&T Lumia 1520s.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Otherwise, VoLTE on Verizon only works with others who have VoLTE enabled on Verizon (my understanding).

I don't follow 100% what you're saying here, but I'm on Verizon with a Nexus 6 I bought directly from Motorola. VoLTE works fine. I turned it on in my Verizon account, and it automatically activated on my phone.

That is probably true in most cases, but not across the board. When the Nexus 4 was released in 2012, it did not have LTE, at least not the US version. It had the hardware for it, but it was disabled, at least partly because it had not been certified by the FCC for LTE. A mod that enabled LTE was quickly found, and many users enjoyed it on their phones.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't follow 100% what you're saying here, but I'm on Verizon with a Nexus 6 I bought directly from Motorola. VoLTE works fine. I turned it on in my Verizon account, and it automatically activated on my phone.

That is probably true in most cases, but not across the board. When the Nexus 4 was released in 2012, it did not have LTE, at least not the US version. It had the hardware for it, but it was disabled, at least partly because it had not been certified by the FCC for LTE. A mod that enabled LTE was quickly found, and many users enjoyed it on their phones.

The problem with that is such a mod to enable CDMA on the 950 would basically require a firmware update from Microsoft. It's unlikely the Windows Phone platform is open enough for hackers or developers to be able to enable the CDMA radio like they could on Android. I could be totally wrong though and may end up being surprised. However, another issue is that it appears Verizon is proactively blocking any 950 they detect on their network, so even if you could enable the CDMA bands, Verizon might still block access.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

All well and good for an Android device (roots, mods, etc. welcome). Such flexibility is not an option on Windows Phone -- Apples and oranges. . .

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe this thread still has traction. It's not going to happen unless Microsoft AND verizon decide to let it happen.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe this thread still has traction. It's not going to happen unless Microsoft AND verizon decide to let it happen.
I guess for some people Hope Springs Eternal!

But for me, I'm resigned to the FACT that this isn't going to happen. I am now hoping that a Surface Phone is released early next year and available on VZW!!!

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess for some people Hope Springs Eternal!

But for me, I'm resigned to the FACT that this isn't going to happen. I am now hoping that a Surface Phone is released early next year and available on VZW!!!

Why do you think you know it's a FACT? It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that the phone has the hardware to support CDMA. Just need a 3rd party to certify it. Whether Microsoft does that or not is another question.

The fact that this thread still has traction should show everyone, including MSFT and VZW, how many people there are that want these phones on the CDMA network.

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

My understandings of their VoLTE is such. If you are a Verizon customer, you can only make VoLTE calls to other customers on Verizon who have VoLTE enabled or AT&T customers as of recently.

The reason you can make calls to others is not because of VoLTE, but because you have CDMA as well. VoLTE is a bonus you sometimes have access.

Verizon can't switch between VoLTE and CDMA without dropping the call and you redialing.

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I just wanted to make my first post and chime in on this discussion, since I am also a Verizon user and found some semi-related information.

There were some people on other forums that made the assumption that Verizon would get the Lumia 550 because the 950 and 950 XL currently doesn't support CDMA or Band 13. The new FCC documents for the Lumia 550 (RM-1128) just came up today on their database [I can't post links because this is my first post]. They show that the devices only have only been tested for GSM 850/1900 WCDMA band 5, 4, 2 and LTE band 12, 17, 5, 4, 2, and 7. Therefore, the 550 will not work on a CDMA service provider.

It might also be important to note that the Lumia 550 has a Snapdragon 210 processor that theoretically can support all bands and protocols including CDMA, just like the 810 and 808 processors. The date of the SAR Compliance Test for the RM-1128 was Aug 21, 2015 and it was submitted to the FCC on Oct 20, 2015. Therefore, it seems that at least until 2 days ago, Microsoft has no plans to sell the 550 unlocked to support Verizon or Sprint (or didn't want to redo the test). Now, this doesn't mean that this will also be the case for the 950 and 950 XL, since the sales from these higher end devices would probably offfset the cost of the CDMA testing and licensing more than the 550 would. However, I was hoping to see the 550 certified for CDMA, which would give us Verizon users some hope that the 950's would be as well. It would have also been nice to see a new lower end Lumia compatible for Verizon and Sprint, for those that are interested.

So far, the FCC documents for the 950 and 950 XL still have not shown up, which I find strange, since they are to be released before the 550...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss