Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attic Muse

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
So, this is completely off topic, but I'm just waiting for them to hinge 2 950XL's together so that I can finally have my Courier....

That's exactly what I want them to do for the mythological Surface Phone. Give it a nice magnesium body, basically the Surface Book hinge but able to fold flat (and a full 180 degrees) and make the second screen detachable. Dream phone right there :love:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I want them to do for the mythological Surface Phone. Give it a nice magnesium body, basically the Surface Book hinge but able to fold flat (and a full 180 degrees) and make the second screen detachable. Dream phone right there :love:

Kind of like this but updated with modern touchscreen and such (detachable "screen" etc)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E90_Communicator

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
If you're a WP fan you NEED to be on AT&T. History has proved this time and time again, not sure why some people don't get the message.

Not everybody has the freedom to move so freely. That message is only relevant to those who are on individual plans or group plans in which everybody is willing to switch. I would say that precludes most people on family share plans and employee plans.

Maybe the message for people in those situations is you NEED to ditch WP. Unfortunate, but hey, I'm not getting any younger while this stuff gets figured out.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If you're a WP fan you NEED to be on AT&T. History has proved this time and time again, not sure why some people don't get the message.
Huh? My family, most relatives and many friends use WPs on T-Mobile and love it. Of course just a few have T-mobile branded phones because its nuts to buy any branded phone if there is an alternative. I understand getting a phone from any US carrier will be recognized as a mental illness in the DSM-VI

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
not wanting to keep propagating the off topic nature of this thread - but the wifi calling that TMo has had is very useful for my wife and her iphone 5s that we bought as a TMo unlocked phone from the apple store...
i know ATT and perhaps even Verizon now are considering it... but if you buy an unlocked phone from Microsoft, there will be no way to get wifi calling with any of the carriers.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
the wifi calling that TMo has had is very useful for my wife and her iphone 5s that we bought as a TMo unlocked phone from the apple store...
i know ATT and perhaps even Verizon now are considering it... but if you buy an unlocked phone from Microsoft, there will be no way to get wifi calling with any of the carriers.
I was following you until you used said "WILL be no way". WiFi calling can be done on any phone with an app. In fact T-Mobile does that on some of their phones. The reason they don't make an app available on BYOD phones today is to differentiate their branded phones in the hopes that will be an incentive for some customers (who don't realize the considerable downsides) to buy their phone from T-Mobile. I'll give odds they will make a WiFi calling app available for BYOD phones as part of their un-carrier marketing scheme. Differentiating themselves from other carriers will be more important than differentiating their phones from BYOD phones. Carriers make more money off services than phones. I won't give odds on when they will roll out WiFi calling apps for BYOD just yet. ;)

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was following you until you used said "WILL be no way". WiFi calling can be done on any phone with an app. In fact T-Mobile does that on some of their phones. The reason they don't make an app available on BYOD phones today is to differentiate their branded phones in the hopes that will be an incentive for some customers (who don't realize the considerable downsides) to buy their phone from T-Mobile. I'll give odds they will make a WiFi calling app available for BYOD phones as part of their un-carrier marketing scheme. Differentiating themselves from other carriers will be more important than differentiating their phones from BYOD phones. Carriers make more money off services than phones. I won't give odds on when they will roll out WiFi calling apps for BYOD just yet. ;)

I like where you are going with hoping that TMo maybe offering the wifi calling - but i havnt seen any evidence of them doing that...maybe i could have said "unlikely" instead of "will be no way" :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I like where you are going with hoping that TMo maybe offering the wifi calling - but i havnt seen any evidence of them doing that...maybe i could have said "unlikely" instead of "will be no way" :)
I knew what you meant.

It'll come after some other un-carrier move runs its course (becomes old hat). I just hope they don't have many other innovations planned before it since it is one I wouldn't mind having.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I knew what you meant.

It'll come after some other un-carrier move runs its course (becomes old hat). I just hope they don't have many other innovations planned before it since it is one I wouldn't mind having.

apparently they have another one coming UncarrierX theyre calling it... might be related to video streaming....

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
not wanting to keep propagating the off topic nature of this thread - but the wifi calling that TMo has had is very useful for my wife and her iphone 5s that we bought as a TMo unlocked phone from the apple store...

WiFi calling will be embedded in the new phones, just like the 640 and the new iPhones. The issue is WiFi calling on band 12 without VoLte support.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
WiFi calling will be embedded in the new phones, just like the 640 and the new iPhones. The issue is WiFi calling on band 12 without VoLte support.

i doubt that wifi calling that TMo has on their branded Iphone 5s and above devices will come to the un-branded, unlocked 950XL.
Does the unlocked 640 or 640XL have wifi calling that is compatible with Tmo?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
WiFi calling will be embedded in the new phones, just like the 640.

Does the unlocked 640 or 640XL have wifi calling that is compatible with Tmo?
I know you don't need the WiFi calling app with the T-Mobile 640 but thought that might be because they just did it all in their firmware rather than an app.

Would love to hear from anyone that has a non-T-Mobile 640 that has WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I know the FCC documents are out already, but out of curiosity, I talked the manager at my local Verizon store about the possibility of using an unlocked Lumia 950 on Verizon. He has some knowledge about the bands and did point out that the Lumia 950 does support 2 of the 3 LTE bands that Verizon uses. He said it might be possible to use the Lumia 950 on Verizon and that they would happily activate an unlocked phone. However, he did also mention that the CDMA situation might be an issue and that I should make sure I will be able to return the phone in the event it does not work.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss