Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, the thread is actually about the 950XL support on Verizon, which I was clarifying based on the question regarding Band 2 and Band 4. But the pertinent issue is the same for both. The 950/950XL phones support LTE on 2 and 4. Verizon has LTE deployments on 2 and 4. The phones are compatible with Verizon's services (not necessarily nation-wide, but still) from a technology point of view.
They support the frequencies, and LTE -- not CDMA (voice/text). . .

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
They support the frequencies, and LTE -- not CDMA (voice/text). . .

I understand that. Voice and SMS can be sent over LTE (IMS protocol overlay). That said, as I (as well as others) have mentioned a couple of times there may be other issues within Verizon's administration (whitelisting IMEI's, etc) that would ultimately affect the ability of the phones to be used on Verizon's network. I'm just commenting on the base technological compatibility factors.

Last edited:

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I understand that. Voice and SMS can be sent over LTE (IMS protocol overlay). That said, as I (as well as others) have mentioned a couple of times there may be other issues within Verizon's administration (whitelisting IMEI's, etc) that would ultimately affect the ability of the phones to be used on Verizon's network. I'm just commenting on the base technological compatibility factors.

Does Verizon even support VoLTE yet?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah ok, I guess I never really noticed it. So then hypothetically, if we're able to activate the Lumia 950 on Verizon's network, we won't have a problem makes calls and texts without the CDMA signal?

That's the theory, yes. That assumes that there are no administrative-level hurdles such as IMEI whitelisting etc that have to be overcome as well which are more business process things on Verizon's part. I don't have any experience in this area but the current thinking is that this might be a blocker even though the technology-layer stuff should work over LTE with an activated SIM.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
That's the theory, yes. That assumes that there are no administrative-level hurdles such as IMEI whitelisting etc that have to be overcome as well which are more business process things on Verizon's part. I don't have any experience in this area but the current thinking is that this might be a blocker even though the technology-layer stuff should work over LTE with an activated SIM.

Another thought I just had, Verizon has roaming agreements with the other major carriers. I'm on a business plan with Verizon where roaming is free for me. I don't think I've ever used it though cause I'm rarely out of Verizon's coverage. But knowing that, would it theoretically be possible to activate the 950 on Verizon and just basically roam on AT&T or T-Mobile's network whenever we're out of Verizon's LTE coverage?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Another thought I just had, Verizon has roaming agreements with the other major carriers. I'm on a business plan with Verizon where roaming is free for me. I don't think I've ever used it though cause I'm rarely out of Verizon's coverage. But knowing that, would it theoretically be possible to activate the 950 on Verizon and just basically roam on AT&T or T-Mobile's network whenever we're out of Verizon's LTE coverage?

sounds plausible..though i know that t-mobile has geographic restrictions on where you can roam (can't roam inside the "home area"). No idea if Verizon has similar mechanisms.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
sounds plausible..though i know that t-mobile has geographic restrictions on where you can roam (can't roam inside the "home area"). No idea if Verizon has similar mechanisms.

I tried to look up Verizon's roaming policy but there doesn't really seem to be anything about it except that roaming is actually free on all Verizon plans now, not just my business plan. In T-Mobile's case, I remember the issue with their limited roaming is that Verizon and AT&T were apparently suspected of colluding together to raise their roaming charges on T-Mobile which forced T-Mobile to limit their roaming in order to maintain their unlimited plans.

Anyways, I guess it all depends on whether the 950 can be activated on Verizon or not. It has all of Verizon's LTE bands now and thanks to free roaming, we should hopefully be able to make up for the lack of CDMA coverage using AT&T and T-Mobile's network. Those two carriers combined should be able to fill in any gaps from the lack of Verizon's 3G network.

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
It will not work on Verizon. Even with an already active sim, the phone can't connect to the network, I believe people have tried using a Verizon sim in the demo units. If you took it to Verizon they would probably turn you away. From what I heard is that Verizon has to add it on there end so there system recognize it. But most of us know Verizon doesn't support the growth of windows.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It will not work on Verizon. Even with an already active sim, the phone can't connect to the network
Can you say how you acquired a production 950XL to try that?

I believe people have tried using a Verizon sim in the demo units

Demo units aren't the same. I could be wrong but I read all threads on these and don't recall anyone posting they put ANY carrier SIM in a demo and making a call. I did read speculation that the demos had disabled SIM slots because they were made before all govt approvals had been obtained.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
The only way to know for sure at this point is for someone to get a production unit and try it out. It's true that it won't work on CDMA networks no matter what, but that's not a huge deal really. Even without CDMA, Verizon is fully equipped to support this phone.

All of Verizon's LTE bands are supported
Verizon already rolled out VoLTE for calls & sms
All Verizon plans have free roaming included so you can use AT&T & T-Mobile's networks to fill in whatever gaps may exist due to the lack of CDMA

The big question is, will Verizon activate it? I think they will because I know they've activated other unlocked phones that they didn't explicitly carry. I've also talked to my local Verizon store manager and he said they'd be happy to activate any unlocked phones. He did however suggest that I make sure I can return the Lumia 950 in the event it doesn't work. Anyways, once the production units are released, we should find out once and for all whether these phones will work on Verizon.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
this post ends the thread. It's a pipedream folks. I hope I am wrong, but I wouldn't expect these phones to work on VZW for 6-12 months, if ever.

They might've just been blocking the pre-production models. Verizon legally can't block phones like that because they have an agreement with the FCC when they recently purchased certain spectrum for their 4G LTE network.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right, they are obligated to provide any compatible device access on their 700 MHz spectrum.

Compatible is key. And only on that spectrum, so far as I know.

To my knowledge no one has tested this part of the leasing agreement in the courts.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Right, they are obligated to provide any compatible device access on their 700 MHz spectrum.

To my knowledge no one has tested this part of the leasing agreement in the courts.

I think that's backwards. I think the agreement is that because Verizon owns the 700 MHz spectrum, they cannot sell any locked devices. They have no obligation to allow any device on their network.
Verizon iPhone 5's must be unlocked! - FCC

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We the People of the United States of America own the spectrum so far as it is used inside our borders. The FCC administrates it on our behalf. They auction use of it to commercial interests. All operators are in effect leasing the right to operate within certain spectrums.

Part of the conditions for operating in C Block of 700 MHz was that the operator may not block access to compatible devices in that spectrum.

Specifically, licensees offering service on C Block spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network,"

The post you linked is about not locking the SIM tray, it does not apply here.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Well once a device is activated on Verizon's network, it's unlikely at that point that they'll block your access to their other LTE bands and spectrums. So this device, legally, should work on Verizon's network. Even without CDMA, it should work no problem and thanks to Verizon's roaming agreements, AT&T's and T-Mobile's networks should be able to fill in the gaps from the lack of CDMA. I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss