Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
It does not mean that.

From the document I linked previously:

"devices of their choice" such as C Block-compatible smartphones.

The requirement is that licensees (i.e. Verizon) allow customers (i.e. Verizon customers) to use the devices (i.e. smartphones) of their choice. This is plainly not just roaming (because people roaming aren't Verizon customers).

You left out the most important part though..
subject to certain conditions

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The conditions can all be found at Verizon's Open Access site: https://opennetwork.verizonwireless.com/content/open-development/home.html though some of them are behind logins. The conditions aren't arbitrary; they're network compatibility/management stuff to affirm that C Block devices won't break anything. Verizon can't arbitrarily construct conditions to block a device.
10-4. I'm just always skeptical, especially when it relates to Verizon when there are the words "certain conditions". Usually means the consumers are getting screwed.

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
10-4. I'm just always skeptical, especially when it relates to Verizon when there are the words "certain conditions". Usually means the consumers are getting screwed.

I understand the skepticism, but this is an area where Verizon doesn't really have a ton of choice. The only part that's up to Verizon is: How good a service would it like to offer its customers? It can either stick to the letter of the rules and force them to use 700 MHz only (which may still be decent enough, if VZW's claims about its 700 MHz network are true), or it can be more generous and let them use the full network.

But step one was, is, and always shall be, build a phone that's compatible with VZW's network and that has passed the certification. That's the stumbling block right now, and it's not VZW's doing.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Allright everyone = back on the topic = news that US 950XL IS "dual SIM" version!

But, what about "NAM and Ban 13 and CDMA" = doe we know anything further?

Well in a spec sheet it was discovered that the NAM version of the 950 would support Band 13, but still no CDMA. However, beyond that one spec sheet, there hasn't been much else about the Band 13 support. Regardless of all this, now that 950's are available to everyone, the only way to solve this mystery is to try putting an activated SIM in a 950 or seeing if Verizon will activate the unlocked phone.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Well in a spec sheet it was discovered that the NAM version of the 950 would support Band 13, but still no CDMA. However, beyond that one spec sheet, there hasn't been much else about the Band 13 support. Regardless of all this, now that 950's are available to everyone, the only way to solve this mystery is to try putting an activated SIM in a 950 or seeing if Verizon will activate the unlocked phone.
There is another thread started where a user put their sim into a 950XL and guess what... It didn't work.
Requesting the Mods close this thread as it has been confirmed the 950XL will not work on Verizon.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/396125-2.htm#post3310327

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There is another thread started where a user put their sim into a 950XL and guess what... It didn't work.
Requesting the Mods close this thread as it has been confirmed the 950XL will not work on Verizon.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/396125-2.htm#post3310327

Since the AT&T version is the only one out there right now, that is not necessarily a good test. AT&T's LTE bands are different than Verizon's, so trying to get an AT&T branded device to work on another carrier's network is probably not going to work. The only way we are going to find out is to wait for the unlocked AND unbranded version to roll out.

A good example is the Icon. The Icon can connect to AT&T's and T-Mobile's respective GSM networks, but not to their respective LTE networks. There have been some rare cases of people being able to connect to AT&T's LTE network with the Icon, but those were special cases where both AT&T and Verizon had LTE bands the Icon could connect to.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Since the AT&T version is the only one out there right now, that is not necessarily a good test. AT&T's LTE bands are different than Verizon's, so trying to get an AT&T branded device to work on another carrier's network is probably not going to work. The only way we are going to find out is to wait for the unlocked AND unbranded version to roll out.

I think you're confused. What you suggested is exactly what was tested: An unlocked/unbranded 950XL with a verizon sim.

doublestack1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I put my Verizon nano sim (from my iPhone 6s Plus) in the 950 XL and sadly the device would not recognize the carrier. No signal. Sorry. Was slightly hopeful MS failed to list the vzw cdma bands on their data sheet.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I put my Verizon nano sim (from my iPhone 6s Plus) in the 950 XL and sadly the device would not recognize the carrier. No signal. Sorry. Was slightly hopeful MS failed to list the vzw cdma bands on their data sheet.

Bummer. Hmmm. Would it make a difference if you called Verizon to try to activate it?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
But step one was, is, and always shall be, build a phone that's compatible with VZW's network and that has passed the certification. That's the stumbling block right now, and it's not VZW's doing.

We'll sort of kind of is. Verizon screwed over Microsoft a few times with Windows Phone, A good clunk of their employees just bashed Windows Phone and on a Corporate level, they could care less. And screw over by Verizon goes deeper back to the KIN, a Social Media based phone from Microsoft geared towarded the younger croud and Verizon forces a $30 a month data plan for it and killed it off..

It's Verizon's fault why Microsoft is upset with them and this could be a VERY good reason WHY this phone does not work on Verizon's network (they are not screwing Verizon, they are screwing the consumer but anyway)

These issues have been very well documented on this site and a quote by Microsoft confirmed it on the press release on the 950/950XL.

Sad to say, the dream or fantasy is over now. The Microsoft 950XL WILL NOT WORK ON VERIZON. Dan was not the ONLY one to confirm this.

It's been quoted that "Verizon wont activate it because it's not an approved device"(trying on their web site) and Putting a Verizon SIM in a 950XL does nothing (same with a 950 BTW).

Now it's Verizon's turn to see what they offer after the holidays. A quote by a well known Verizon employee here stated that Verizon is planning something for Windows 10 phone... Now WHAT they are going to offer is a different story. Are we going to get a 949 and 949XL ? Only time will tell. Be warned like everything besides the iPhone, Verizon is 6 months behind on new phones...

As it's been confirmed, I also vote to lock this thread or change the title to "the 950 and 950XL WILL NOT WORK ON VERIZON" and change the first post to link to the tests that were done for proof (sticky ?).

Verizon, it's your turn now... give us something good...

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Now it's Verizon's turn to see what they offer after the holidays. A quote by a well known Verizon employee here stated that Verizon is planning something for Windows 10 phone... Now WHAT they are going to offer is a different story. Are we going to get a 949 and 949XL
I'd say there is zero chance of a Verizon variation of the 950s. I think MS is serious about limiting the number of models. I wouldn't rule out a software and certification change to 950s to make it possible for them to be used on Verizon. Or for whatever replaces the 950s down the road being Verizon ready. Am anxious to see what happens. I HOPE Verizon doesn't talk some other phone maker into making a Windows Phone that Verizon has full control of updates for. I wonder if part of the deal with phone makers to get WM10 for free includes NOT letting that happen. I feel for Verizon customers but would hate to see Verizon create another bad WM experience that paints the rest with the same brush.

Verizon, it's your turn now... give us something good...
Yes, please give your customers what they want.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Hmm well I guess that settles it then. It's confirmed now that the Lumia 950's don't work on Verizon's network despite the proper LTE band support.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Can we all just agree that Verizon is an awful carrier (business wise) and show our displeasure by switching to a Windows Phone friendly carrier?

I am dropping my verizon internet / TV service when my contract is up unless they add new windows phones to their lineup. They have 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte