Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I see you are putting your mat to good use:

View attachment 117892

Yes, Microsoft chose to not spend money getting the phones certified RIGHT AFTER Verizon told Microsoft they would NOT allow the phones on if Microsoft insisted on updating the OS on Microsoft's schedule, which is an absolute necessity.

Your honor, I'm innocent. The alleged victim CHOSE to give me their wallet, right after I said "your money or your life".
+1000 rep for office space reference. lol

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
And neither of those carriers have any interest in Windows phones. Legere just shot off his mouth because he's a media w h o r e. I'm on Tmo and I appreciate that he has somewhat helped change the way carriers are operating. But he cares nothing for Windows Phones. And I can't take Verizon seriously when they kept referring to Nokia in their statement. They apparently don't even know who manufactures WP, so they obviously have zero interest.

Yes it's true that Verizon and T-Mobile haven't been the most friendly carriers of Windows Phones in the past, and I'm sure they couldn't care less about Windows Phones. But that doesn't mean Microsoft had to disable the CDMA radio. Like many of their competitors, Microsoft could've just made the 950 a globally unlocked phone that works on any carrier in the world. The iPhone does it as well as the Nexus and I'm sure many other phones out there too. Verizon even said if Microsoft had it certified, they wouldn't stop the 950 from working on their network. They just didn't really want to carrier it in store. Therefore, Microsoft bares most of the blame here as they deliberately disabled the CDMA radio. Unless Microsoft is planning a Verizon exclusive 959 or something like that, there's absolutely no excuse to not make the 950 a universal phone like pretty much every competitor has done with their phones.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I see you are putting your mat to good use:
Yes, Microsoft chose to not spend money getting the phones certified RIGHT AFTER Verizon told Microsoft they would NOT allow the phones on if Microsoft insisted on updating the OS on Microsoft's schedule, which is an absolute necessity.

Eh? You got it backwards. To get the 950/950XL certified on Verizon's network, Microsoft needed to submit it for testing MONTHS before release date. Like about the time Microsoft sent it to AT&T for approval. Since Microsoft never ran it through Verizon's certification, Verizon COULDN'T certify them, and therefore won't allow them on its network.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's true that Verizon and T-Mobile haven't been the most friendly carriers of Windows Phones in the past, and I'm sure they couldn't care less about Windows Phones. But that doesn't mean Microsoft had to disable the CDMA radio. Like many of their competitors, Microsoft could've just made the 950 a globally unlocked phone that works on any carrier in the world. The iPhone does it as well as the Nexus and I'm sure many other phones out there too. Verizon even said if Microsoft had it certified, they wouldn't stop the 950 from working on their network. They just didn't really want to carrier it in store. Therefore, Microsoft bares most of the blame here as they deliberately disabled the CDMA radio. Unless Microsoft is planning a Verizon exclusive 959 or something like that, there's absolutely no excuse to not make the 950 a universal phone like pretty much every competitor has done with their phones.

In the case of the Nexus there are numerous builds:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

In other words, there is no "one ring to rule them all." I'm not sure about Apple, but I'm willing to put a steak dinner on the fact that Apple has different builds to make the iPhone/iPad work on different carriers.

The same goes for other OEM's like LG, Samsung, HTC, etc. They have to provide different builds for each of their devices to work on the different carriers.

So, again, why would Microsoft be any different?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

In other words, there is no "one ring to rule them all." I'm not sure about Apple, but I'm willing to put a steak dinner on the fact that Apple has different builds to make the iPhone/iPad work on different carriers.

The same goes for other OEM's like LG, Samsung, HTC, etc. They have to provide different builds for each of their devices to work on the different carriers.

The Moto X Pure Edition that I just got last month works on any US carrier out of the box.

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I posted a while back how SoC works. What part of that did you not understand? The Snapdragon SoC family has ALL of the radios built in. In fact, the SD810, which is in the 950XL, is the same exact chip that's in my HTC One M9...which is a Verizon phone. The 950 has the same SoC as the LG G4; which is ALSO on Verizon. Qualcomm disabled the CDMA radio via firmware at Microsoft's request. Hardware wise there is no difference between the SD810 on a 950XL and the M9...it's all firmware.

All Microsoft has to do is ask Qualcomm to update the firmware to enable CDMA, include Verizon's CDMA key (which is baked into that same firmware). Then include that in the OS/firmware build to Verizon for testing and certification. Microsoft CHOSE to not make a Verizon variant, not Verizon.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/808
LG G4 - Full phone specifications
LG G4 Dual - Full phone specifications
Microsoft Lumia 950 Dual SIM - Full phone specifications
Microsoft Lumia 950 - Full phone specifications

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/810
HTC One M9 - Full phone specifications
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM - Full phone specifications
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL - Full phone specifications

I guess you've missed the bit where the phone has passed FCC certification without CDMA, right?

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

There are carrier builds for the carrier-sold variants, but there are also builds for the direct-from-Google all-carrier versions, and these are not carrier-specific. Same with iOS and the iPhone, same with the Moto X Pure. They're true universal phones with a universal build, and they work even with things like visual voicemail and wi-fi calling.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I guess you've missed the bit where the phone has passed FCC certification without CDMA, right?

No, I didn't miss it. It's not relevant to my argument. It could have passed without GSM as well.

All the FCC approval means is that the device is authorized to be used in the US and its territories; and that it won't interfere with emergency and military networks. Nothing more, nothing less. It is a fundamental step before getting carrier approvals.

Last edited:

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The Moto X Pure Edition that I just got last month works on any US carrier out of the box.

Sure it does, and the primary reason is that ALL U.S. carriers are Android/Google friendly. You won't find yourself at a carrier store having a sales person try to talk you out of buying one. If I was MS, I would have made no effort with Verizon. Verizon doesn't want their phone and would work to keep it off the network.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Sure it does, and the primary reason is that ALL U.S. carriers are Android/Google friendly. You won't find yourself at a carrier store having a sales person try to talk you out of buying one. If I was MS, I would have made no effort with Verizon. Verizon doesn't want their phone and would work to keep it off the network.

It's not about being Android/Google or Apple friendly. It's because Motorola decided to jump through ALL of the hoops required to get it approved on all of the networks. The same with the Nexus 6. That applies to Apple as well.

Microsoft could have done the same thing and gotten the approval if they so choose...which they didn't.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X Pure Edition isn't sold in any carrier stores. It's only available from Moto, Best Buy, and Amazon.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

It's basic math. Android sells, Apple sells.... Windows Phone is new...and if you want the full smartphone experience, Windows Phone is not it with out the apps...

The phone companies don't care on Windows Phone, Google or Apple, they care about MONEY. If a phone does not sell, or has a high return rate (have heard WP devices have a higher return rate due to not knowing apps were missing), they wont push it but, offer it because it gives the customers selection.

The 50/50= Money/Happy customers

It's business 101...

Today, that is a moot point. **IF** Microsoft all of a sudden changed their mind, they can send the 950/950XL BACK to the FCC with a change (noting firmware to open up new bands on the phone). There is policies in the FCC for this, they might need to change the models to a 950(A) or something but, it could be done.

Still the fact of the matter is, and this was very public, noted in a pod cast with Mary Jo (who uses Verizon and wants it on Verizon as well) , that Verizon screwed over Microsoft, and they said they will not work with carriers that screwed them in the past, and the Verizon name was clearly said, and the only one by the way.

Truth be told....If Microsoft wanted us to have it, they have the power to make it happen, I think the above reason is alone the reason why I would not hold my breath.

If Verizon is getting a version of the 950/XL, it will be a few months down the line, Verizonized and be a new name/number... Kind of like the 929 and the 930.

After what Verizon did to Microsoft, I really wouldn't count on this happening,

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
After what Verizon did to Microsoft, I really wouldn't count on this happening,

I think you have it backwards.

Who is Mary Jo and exactly what did Verizon do to screw over Microsoft?

It was Nokia who decided to not include Glance and microSD support for the Icon/930. From what I'm reading the 735 and the Lancet are doing pretty well, and the 822 did pretty well on Verizon. The 928 and Icon didn't do so well. Why? Because Nokia decided not to do what Verizon wanted. Which was provide microSD card support. The 930 hasn't done all that well either. Microsoft is still picking up the pieces that Nokia left behind now that they own the Nokia Lumia line.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

It was Nokia who decided to not include Glance and microSD support for the Icon/930. From what I'm reading the 735 and the Lancet are doing pretty well, and the 822 did pretty well on Verizon. The 928 and Icon didn't do so well. Why? Because Nokia decided not to do what Verizon wanted. Which was provide microSD card support. The 930 hasn't done all that well either. Microsoft is still picking up the pieces that Nokia left behind now that they own the Nokia Lumia line.

Either way, it's the consumer, us, that loses here. Both companies are at fault here. Verizon treats Windows Phones really badly yes, but Microsoft is also being a baby about it by refusing to let their phones work on Verizon. Ultimately though, the power is all in Microsoft's hand to make this happen. There aren't any barriers to the 950 working on Verizon.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
No, I didn't miss it. It's not relevant to my argument. It could have passed without GSM as well.

All the FCC approval means is that the device is authorized to be used in the US and its territories; and that it won't interfere with emergency and military networks. Nothing more, nothing less. It is a fundamental step before getting carrier approvals.

It's a bit more than that. If the phone is not submitted for testing on a certain band (and modulation technology..each combination must be tested such as GSM, WCDMA, LTE, CDMA, etc on each frequency/band the phone supports for use in the U.S.), it is not authorized to be operated in the U.S. on that band. There is more than interference testing for military/emergency networks..there is also SAR rating and in-band compliance testing.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
End of the day the 950 & 950 XL wont work on Verizon. Do we really need a 104 page thread on the subject clogging up the forum? Put a fork in it, its done.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Either way, it's the consumer, us, that loses here. Both companies are at fault here. Verizon treats Windows Phones really badly yes, but Microsoft is also being a baby about it by refusing to let their phones work on Verizon. Ultimately though, the power is all in Microsoft's hand to make this happen. There aren't any barriers to the 950 working on Verizon.

True. The problem is Microsoft will suffer more in the long run than Verizon... actually Verizon won't really suffer at all. To Verizon it is more about selling data plans. The carriers make very little profit on the devices themselves.

It's a bit more than that. If the phone is not submitted for testing on a certain band (and modulation technology..each combination must be tested such as GSM, WCDMA, LTE, CDMA, etc on each frequency/band the phone supports for use in the U.S.), it is not authorized to be operated in the U.S. on that band. There is more than interference testing for military/emergency networks..there is also SAR rating and in-band compliance testing.

True. But you get my point though.

End of the day the 950 & 950 XL wont work on Verizon. Do we really need a 104 page thread on the subject clogging up the forum? Put a fork in it, its done.

Do we NEED this thread? No. It's really entertaining though. :-D

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

No I do not have it backwards, if you really think I do, you need to do some homework on this subject.

As for WHO is Mary Jo.... This was said in a Widows Weekly Podcast when the 950 / 950XL was annouced (BTW, it was posed on this site as well). This was with Leo Laporte, Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott. Paul said clearly from a discussion direct with Microsoft that they will not work with carriers that screwed them over in the past, and VERIZON was clearly said (the ONLY carrer they said too). He also said Verizon users should give up trying to get these phones. GO head, look it up, it's CLEARLY said in the PODCAST.

Here is the site for the weekly podcast
https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly

As for Verizon SCREWING Microsoft....where do we start... Let's go back to the KIN.... a Social Media phone, that was geared towards the younger cround, it was KILLED because Verizon FORCED users to get a $30 a month data plan.

Then we have Windows Phone....NO real promotion, No incentive for employees to sell the phones. It's been well documented on this site and MANY others how MOST Verizon employees would bash Windows Phone... and why would you want to buy one ?

In a way, Verizon, who is the largest carrier in the US, has a direct reason why Windows Phone has not taken off in the US...I know Microsoft would of given Verizon what ever they needed to help sell the phones...

Your sellng a new product, you allow a someone to sell it, instead of selling it, they just bash you and dont sell a lot...would you be happy with them or want to do business again ?

These points have been CLEARLY documented, I do not have it backwards. If your sitting here dreaming of getting the 950XL on Verizon...Let's just say, I would not hold my breath... You wont be posting here any more :-\

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
No I do not have it backwards, if you really think I do, you need to do some homework on this subject.

As for WHO is Mary Jo.... This was said in a Widows Weekly Podcast when the 950 / 950XL was annouced (BTW, it was posed on this site as well). This was with Leo Laporte, Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott. Paul said clearly from a discussion direct with Microsoft that they will not work with carriers that screwed them over in the past, and VERIZON was clearly said (the ONLY carrer they said too). He also said Verizon users should give up trying to get these phones. GO head, look it up, it's CLEARLY said in the PODCAST.

Here is the site for the weekly podcast
https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly

As for Verizon SCREWING Microsoft....where do we start... Let's go back to the KIN.... a Social Media phone, that was geared towards the younger cround, it was KILLED because Verizon FORCED users to get a $30 a month data plan.

Then we have Windows Phone....NO real promotion, No incentive for employees to sell the phones. It's been well documented on this site and MANY others how MOST Verizon employees would bash Windows Phone... and why would you want to buy one ?

In a way, Verizon, who is the largest carrier in the US, has a direct reason why Windows Phone has not taken off in the US...I know Microsoft would of given Verizon what ever they needed to help sell the phones...

Your sellng a new product, you allow a someone to sell it, instead of selling it, they just bash you and dont sell a lot...would you be happy with them or want to do business again ?

These points have been CLEARLY documented, I do not have it backwards. If your sitting here dreaming of getting the 950XL on Verizon...Let's just say, I would not hold my breath... You wont be posting here any more :-\

The KIN failed for more reasons than the data plan actually. It was not a very open phone and did not have any kind of app store. The KIN basically failed because it was too limited. No apps, no games killed the KIN from the start. No amount of promotion from Verizon could fix that when competing phones have app stores and games available.

Anyways, yes Verizon has been a bad carrier for promoting Windows Phones, but that's still not a good reason for Microsoft to make the 950's an AT&T exclusive and block CDMA networks. Do you really think Verizon considers carrying Windows Phones to be a valuable privilege? No, they could care less. The only people hurt by this are us, the consumers. What Microsoft should've done is made the 950's a TRUE unlocked phone like every other major competitor. All the new iPhones and major Android phones are global universally unlocked phones that work on every network including Verizon and Sprint regardless of whether they actually carry the phone or not.

As much as we'd like to be mad at Verizon, they bear very little blame here actually. The majority of the blame here rests on Microsoft's shoulders. They were the ones that chose not to approach other carriers, they were the ones that chose to disable the CDMA radio, they were the ones that chose not to get the 950's certified on all networks. There were no hurdles or physical restrictions preventing the 950 from working on Verizon. It was all deliberate choice by Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte