Canadian pricing now on MS Store

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Seen any word of what providers in Canada will be offering the phone? I am still using the 920 so if this doesn't get picked up or supported by Rogers Bell or Telus I think I have no choice but to move to a phone with a different OS.

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
yes but $749 + 14% tax if a little out of my price range for a new phone right now. I'd have to make a choice new phone to replace my 920 or a new surface to replace my very very old Surface RT gen 1.

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes 2 year plans usually knock about 60% + off so a $750 phone you might pay $199 for it and agree to stay with them for 2 years

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not saying it's not a great phone or what I want at all. I like the phone and I'd like to get it. Not even saying it is over priced either I think it is a comparable price... But at full price for me I'll need to wait till it either drops or gets picked up by a Canadian carrier so I can get it.

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Which carrier are you on that it still pays off to buy a subsidized phone?

I'd rather either buy it outright in CAD or go for a drive south of the border and get it there. With the added benefit that I have an unlocked phone (works anywhere on the world- even with other carriers in Canada), have the liberty to switch providers anytime someone else has a better deal (happens often- you can save good money) and I can choose the phone I want :)

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
All carriers and most actually will not sell you a phone outright. I had a hell of a time buying a Nokia 625 for my son off contract outright. Also by law they have to unlock your phone free of charge once your contract is up. Yes love the freedom of an unlocked phone but Canada has from what I am told the worst price to value plans of most countries so there is little movement from carrier to carrier.

So with that said if can't afford a new phone at $800 you can't afford it :)

anon(9140902)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
All carriers and most actually will not sell you a phone outright. I had a hell of a time buying a Nokia 625 for my son off contract outright. Also by law they have to unlock your phone free of charge once your contract is up. Yes love the freedom of an unlocked phone but Canada has from what I am told the worst price to value plans of most countries so there is little movement from carrier to carrier.

So with that said if can't afford a new phone at $800 you can't afford it :)

there is no law stating that carriers have to unlock for free when a contract is finished.

The Wireless Code, simplified .. scroll down to section F.

for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.

a customers phone becomes unsubsidized when they either a) buy it outright from the carrier, b) complete the 24-month contract or c) pay off the device balance before the contract is complete

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Which carrier are you on that it still pays off to buy a subsidized phone?

I'd rather either buy it outright in CAD or go for a drive south of the border and get it there. With the added benefit that I have an unlocked phone (works anywhere on the world- even with other carriers in Canada), have the liberty to switch providers anytime someone else has a better deal (happens often- you can save good money) and I can choose the phone I want :)

You'll waste more money going to the States to buy the phone there (assuming you don't live close to a MSFT store).
That is... unless you already have a good chunk of USD saved up but even then it's still about the same price if you convert.

2Supra4U

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I was getting ready to get an all windows lineup going finally (pc.tablet,phone,smartwatch). But looks like that is going to be on hold now.

Would go for a 950.....when I saw the pricing at the event ($549)...i was like ok cool, not a ridiculous price. However, going to the MS canada store and seeing $750, is completely turning me off. Obviously the dollar has been taking a dive, but no way I can justify paying $850 for a phone thats os is not even completed yet. Thats not even touching the topic of apps. I got a 635 a few months ago to test the WP waters. I was actually surprised that most of the apps I have on my BB Passport, I was able to find in the Windows store. Still was missing quite a few, but was better then I expected. APK and iOS compatibility needs to come ASAP. if that is months away still, i think it will hurt these flagships. Now with universal apps, that should help. However, we still have to wait for companies to make those universal apps for win10. Now, we have seen quite a few be released so far, but I would guess the majority of popular apps are still unavailable. Hopefully there is a price drop just after the new year. I would have paid the 550-600 here but not more then that.

Same with the Band 2....$50 more then band 1 ($250), ok cool. But here its basically $400, including tax....Just too much for that at the moment. Hopefully a price drop just after the new year as well.

Or hopefully our dollar goes sky high for at least one day, so i can buy this crap cheaper lol. Or maybe not a great launch which will force them to lower the price.

Stormdrunk

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hate to say it, but WP is doomed in Canada and the US. Without carriers on board, they'll sell so few. Not a lot of people willing to pay full retail direct from MS. Plus anyone new to WP will never even realize its an option if carriers don't have them in stock.

Beginning of the end, MS not pushing carriers is another nail in the coffin.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hate to say it, but WP is doomed in Canada and the US. Without carriers on board, they'll sell so few. Not a lot of people willing to pay full retail direct from MS. Plus anyone new to WP will never even realize its an option if carriers don't have them in stock.

Windows has always been doomed in Canada.

Lyndon Sanche

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

I fear if this keeps up the only way to keep Windows phone alive would be to advertise it ourselves.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
At least the pricing on it in Canada is pretty much the exact exchange rate between Canada and the US. In some countries it's crazily higher. And it's not like every other phone available isn't suffering the same issue. Carriers don't give you free phones, they build in those costs as part of monthly fees; You're going to pay one way or another. The real issue without carrier sales directly is just that you have to put up the money yourself or use a third party to finance it (a credit card, for instance).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon