Lumia 950 missing FM radio?

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by KefKef
Originally Posted by daimv
If your carrier's version has disabled it then editing the registry to enable it (with Interop tools as mentioned) will fix it. It worked for me.

NO, carriers do not dissable native apps. This was Microsoft's decision:
Microsoft confirms FM Radio app removal from Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

That's the app, not the hardware or the registry. They removed the app but the ability to use the radio is still there and you can still use third party apps.

Of course, the built in app was very good and I liked it too. But that is a different issue.

So the registry thing is still what you probably have to do if the radio apps can't see the radio. It is not that hard.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
It's hard if you're not sure what you're doing :(
It's hard if you give up before trying.

Harry Niemeijer already explained it. You just have to change a value from '0' to '1'. There are also other threads in the forum that have explained the same before. Just put in some effort, read what you have to do and how to do it, and go for it. You'll see it is very far from impossible and then you can enjoy your radio.

Edit: YES it would be nice if this wasn't even necessary. Why should we have to do this? But seems like some carriers like to mess their client's lives up a little bit by disabling the radio, and that sucks, unfortunately. But fortunately, there is a simple (simple enough, at least :p) solution for this problem.

Also, we aren't the only ones affected. Iphone disables the radio too and only with a jailbreak can you enable it again. I think it is the same with some android phone brands. It seems they just want to **** people off.

P.S. I don't think you can do it by connecting it to your computer and editing it from there, or at least that sounds a lot more complicated. Just use the interop tools app (it is not on the store, you have to download it from the creator's site. Somebody already posted a link to it in here I think.)

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
That's the app, not the hardware or the registry. They removed the app but the ability to use the radio is still there and you can still use third party apps.

Of course, the built in app was very good and I liked it too. But that is a different issue.

Not really, because it was Microsoft's decision, and nobody else's. One has to thank only Microsoft for removing this app.

Carriers cannot, nor are they allowed to remove any built in/native app. They can only add their own bloatware...

Just to clarify this matter a bit more:
I have an unlocked European RM version of L950, which NO carrier had any influence on. The "FM Radio" app is pre-installed, along with "Field Test" app. They are both disabled by Microsoft on W10M, so I needed to hack my phone to get these apps to work - WITHOUT any need for additional download from the Store!

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes, several tutorials exist for this. The one that works on AU models is THIS method.

To use this method do not download there mentioned apps, but download them from HERE
Download "InteropTools_Beta1.9_pre8_1.9.370.0.zip" and "Dependencies_ARM.zip"
Unpack InteropTools_Beta1.9_pre8_1.9.370.0.zip and Dependencies_ARM.zip on a PC

On the phone enable "Developer mode", and transfer these apps to phone:
1. Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3.appx
2. Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4.appx
3. Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.12.00.Universal.appx
4. Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.14.00.appx
5. InteropToolsApp_1.9.370.0_arm.appxbundle

Install above apps in that order (if you get an error, try to reboot the device and try again) and then follow the instructions from above tutorial

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Try to download it again. I just tried it, new download and it opens OK. You get the first 4 files mentioned above when it unpacks.

TheEdge76

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Unzip.jpg
Sorry, I meant to say the InteropTools_Beta1.9_pre8_1.9.370.0.zip file is giving me an error when I try to open it - that's the error. Am I downloading the right file?

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
NO, you are not supposed to open these .zip files on the phone! The best way to avoid errors is to unpack zip files on a PC and then transfer mentioned files to the phone. Once they are on the phone, install them via built in file manager...

Last edited:

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, I meant to say the InteropTools_Beta1.9_pre8_1.9.370.0.zip file is giving me an error when I try to open it - that's the error. Am I downloading the right file?

I just downloaded this file and unpacked it without problem:
1.png

I can also open needed "InteropToolsApp_1.9.370.0_arm.appxbundle" only to check that it is OK. You don't need to do this:
2.png

I do it on a Win7 PC with Total Commander, always without problems.

TheEdge76

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Nope, definitely something with the InteropTools_Beta1.9_pre8_1.9.370.0.zip file - doesn't unzip properly (using Winzip or WinRAR) on two different machines (one Vista, one XP). It opens in Winzip but I can't extract any of the files...can I get the InteropTools app from somewhere else maybe?

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
It must be something, some error at your end, because I have no problems unpacking that zip.
I'll PM you my contact, and can send you the needed file by email. It is only 8.296.654 bytes...

heximan

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have also problems unpacking that zip (InteropTools_Beta1.9_pre8_1.9.370.0.zip). Could you send InteropToolsApp_1.9.370.0_arm.appxbundle file to me also? I would appreciate it a lot.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
You should probably try another program to unzip it. Older ones (like the ones you mentioned) don't support some compression modes.
Try 7zip Download

Alternatively, you can do it on your phone (you may need to download an app for compressed files, like 8zip in the windows store)

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
The problem they have probably has to do with one of the files in that .zip package. As is, the needed file "InteropToolsApp_1.9.370.0_arm.appxbundle" is also a packed file that can be opened with some zip unpackers... Maybe the unpackers that they are using gets "confused" by that .appxbundle suffix.

TheEdge76

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Update: thanks to Kefkef's great help, I got Interop Tools etc installed and successfully edited the registry. However, try as I might (with two different radio apps) they both still refuse to start the radio. Either I get "FM Radio not available" (on Radio FM Phone) or "Sorry, this device doesn't support Fm Radio" (on fmRadio). Anyone else get this?
I'm trying to figure out how to take a screenshot of my registry editor to show what I'm doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb