PC Magazine : 950 & 950XL Beautiful But Doomed

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
PC magazine is already out with a hands-on calling both phone doomed . He said while sipping on o rum & coke a rep told him that phones are basically designed for enterprise customers so apparently MS does not care about consumers .

That tells me MS does not have clear vision not that it had any vision before .
First the company took a write off of $7 billion and CEO said they will not promote the phone .
Later in an interview he clarified and said company will have 3 phones , one low budget, one high end , and one for enterprise . Apparently he did not know what he was talking about as high end and enterprise is the same phone .

I was hoping we get something so I could upgrade to but my 1520 is actually better

Too sad this company has never been able to find the right CEO with futuristic vision like Jeff Bezos

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious as to how a 1520 is better. If you don't like the plastic body on the 950, well, you lose that argument with a 1520. Outside of on screen navigation keys, the specs are better in every way on the 950, and in some cases, by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong - I hope lots of people feel like you right now, because I have a couple of 1520's to sell. But, I'm not seeing it.

Edit: I'm not sure if maybe the guy had one too many rum and cokes (which says a lot, but that's another story), but what exactly does "designed for enterprise" so they don't care about consumers mean? What would be in a consumer phone that is not in an enterprise phone?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Jeff Bezos? Amazon does a lotta things right but smartphones is not one of them. Have we forgotten what a disaster the Fire phone was?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
WMPoweruser: Microsoft has pretty much nailed everything

That makes it even :wink:

The point is...why judge based on few tech blogging reviews only? In general, the response has been comparatively better than previous launches, though the Surface part did blow everyone away!

Last edited:

ejlee072006

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
THE INTERNALS DIDNT MATCH THE EXTERNAL
TYPICAL MICROSOFT
I ALWAYS WONDER IF APPLE OWNS 50% of msft! If they can make a Xbox one,surface etc how come they can't come out with a stunning eye catching phone!!!!
After 5 years of wp, recently jumped to iPhone band wagon, I'm gonna be the one of those fans that will wait, for now I will probably get my mom a 640 xl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Judging by the response we're seeing around the place (as in real lack of hype) all I can say about windows mobile is, much too little, much too late. I, unfortunately think that it's DOA.

There's a few features which seem quite cool. If they gain any traction in any way, shape or form, you can guarantee that google and apple will implement those features into their products. Continuum is probably the only one I think that's worth looking into. Apart from that, there's nothing there that's going to drag someone away from their iphone or android phone and migrate to windows mobile.

Unfortunately my foray in windows phone feels that it has been eroded by no one else than microsoft. It was a great platform when it launched. Sure, it had plenty of missing features, but slowly, as they made improvements, they also dropped some of the cool stuff.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL is not something you want to buy for many people in enterprise lol. Did anyone watch the presentation? That was awesome. Can't wait for the Lumia 950 XL. Microsoft is now making the best hardware in every class. Directly challenging Apple.
Microsoft Windows 10 devices event

Last edited:

ejlee072006

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
You do realize you'll be able swap out the backs to make them look as spiffy as you want right?

IM PAST UR CONCERN, like what I said been a user since birth 2010, I don't hat on it, I just want it to improve. This release didn't wanna make me go back to it. Yeah I get it there's no apps, but you know what THE THERES NO APPS CONVERSATION IS TRUE!!! I used snap chat a lot lately!! Did windowsphone10 brought this up?? Again I don't hate, I didn't have any choice!! They dc my LUMIA 1520!! I have to jump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
So what the OP is trying to relay that was said in hearsay by PC Mag, is that these ARE the "Surface" phones and that there will not be any "Surface" phones because these ARE geared for enterprise.

Works for me, now I can buy without worrying about something better in less than 6 months.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious as to how a 1520 is better. If you don't like the plastic body on the 950, well, you lose that argument with a 1520. Outside of on screen navigation keys, the specs are better in every way on the 950, and in some cases, by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong - I hope lots of people feel like you right now, because I have a couple of 1520's to sell. But, I'm not seeing it.

Edit: I'm not sure if maybe the guy had one too many rum and cokes (which says a lot, but that's another story), but what exactly does "designed for enterprise" so they don't care about consumers mean? What would be in a consumer phone that is not in an enterprise phone?

Specification points of view, 950 XL can make Note 5 run for its money except for 3 areas.
1) Cheap plastic compared to premium aluminium finish covered by ceramic glass
2) SD 810 instead of 820.
3) No Uni body features. replaceable batteries, Micro SD slots and inserting SIM and Micro SD card by opening back cover are good for mid-end and low end devices, not flagship. Even 930 has much better premium finish than 950 XL.

If MS would have covered these 3 aspects, it would have made every Note 5 owner feel ENVY. The camera is superior in each and every aspect, the UI is smooth. The Screen is superior. The weight is almost the same. But where is the premium touch?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I like the devices. It is fairly obvious that, with continuum, these are aimed at the business sector. Is that so bad? A unified windows, where all the devices are familiar to Windows users, where you can take your 'PC' in your pocket. No lugging a laptop on your commute. MSFT just need an education in sales pitches!

My one real disappointment was the 550. Pretty much 'here's a cheap phone', and that was it. Why? Rather than yet another device, with yet another number, why didn't they update the 640, 640XL, which seems to have been a major success with those in the know?

Anyway, as for the 'journo', I suppose after too many Rum and Cokes, he posted his 'point of view' on a macbook air. I wonder if he had Coca Cola with his rum, because in his opinion, Pepsi is doomed? I wonder if he has an agenda sponsored by Google / Crapple?? Take it with a pinch of salt as most reviews are subjective, depending on how many free drinks you have had!!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Specification points of view, 950 XL can make Note 5 run for its money except for 3 areas.
1) Cheap plastic compared to premium aluminium finish covered by ceramic glass
2) SD 810 instead of 820.
3) No Uni body features. replaceable batteries, Micro SD slots and inserting SIM and Micro SD card by opening back cover are good for mid-end and low end devices, not flagship. Even 930 has much better premium finish than 950 XL.

If MS would have covered these 3 aspects, it would have made every Note 5 owner feel ENVY. The camera is superior in each and every aspect, the UI is smooth. The Screen is superior. The weight is almost the same. But where is the premium touch?

I can agree with that. If those internals were in a 930 body, wow. Still anxious to see one in person. If it feels like a 640XL, then it's in trouble. It looks like it should be better than that though.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
What the author of the original article, and his Microsoft source, probably mean is that: Microsoft realizes that broad consumer take up of Windows phones is moot at this point (it peaked at 5%, drifted lower, and seems stuck at 2.5-3% global share) so they've re-positioned their smartphones as something that they can sell as one part of a complete package to IT enterprise buyers, hence the focus on Continuum and being 'productive like a boss'.

That last line isn't something you throw out there, when you're trying to appeal to the Instagram/Periscope/Uber/Snapchat generation.

Hey, at least it's a niche of some sort (shrug).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss