950/950XL - QI charging...1.0 or 1.2 ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know ?

The new standard of QI was released about 5-6 months ago, this claimed with newer chargers, that phones would charge faster and the distance from the charger could be longer, meaning mounting chargers in stuff could be easier (hidden charger).

Anyone know or was there any specs listed any place that claimed what version it is ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to say the newer version because they claimed it could charge 50% in only 30 mins.

Is that over QI or pulgged in ? As a new charger with it doing the new standard of Qualcom Quck Charge should be able to do this but, not over QI/wireless charging.

Anyone know for sure ?

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to say the newer version because they claimed it could charge 50% in only 30 mins.

Is that over QI or pulgged in ? As a new charger with it doing the new standard of Qualcom Quck Charge should be able to do this but, not over QI/wireless charging.

Anyone know for sure ?
That's plugged in via USB-C and ONLY when battery is critically low (10% and lower).

The Hire

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Any word on this topic. I just got my lumia 950 and been trying to figure this out also. I've also been looking everywhere for a Qi charger 1.2v and haven't been able to find any, or at least find one that states its 1.2v. All the chargers I've found say 5mm. Haven't been able to find a Qi wireless charger that says it can charge from 40mm. If anyone can help, be greatly appreciated!

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
After having done very intensive QI charging tests with the Lumia 950 XL and various QI chargers I am pretty confident that this phone is only supporting the 1.0 standard which equals 5 watt charging power.

This video made me curious as well but now that I also own the DT-904 charger I cannot reproduce this at all. At the very very best I can achieve 3:30 hrs full charge which equals 5W charging power.

The interesting part is that the QI chargers I use draw between 8-9 watts (using an amperemeter) while only 5 watts arrive in the phones battery at best. The difference ends up as heat which then slows down charging speed.

Something is definitely wrong with the Lumia 950 XL QI charging. My other Lumias (930, 1020, 925) show totally stable flat QI charging curves with only a slight drop at the end of charging. The 950 XL charging rate is up and down throughout the whole charging cycle.

DT-904 QI charge 950 XL - no cooling: 4:30 hrs
1-no-cooling.png

DT-904 QI charge 950 XL - air cooled: 4:30 hrs
2-cooled.png

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
After having done very intensive QI charging tests with the Lumia 950 XL and various QI chargers I am pretty confident that this phone is only supporting the 1.0 standard which equals 5 watt charging power.

This video made me curious as well but now that I also own the DT-904 charger I cannot reproduce this at all. At the very very best I can achieve 3:30 hrs full charge which equals 5W charging power.

The interesting part is that the QI chargers I use draw between 8-9 watts (using an amperemeter) while only 5 watts arrive in the phones battery at best. The difference ends up as heat which then slows down charging speed.

Something is definitely wrong with the Lumia 950 XL QI charging. My other Lumias (930, 1020, 925) show totally stable flat QI charging curves with only a slight drop at the end of charging. The 950 XL charging rate is up and down throughout the whole charging cycle.

DT-904 QI charge 950 XL - no cooling: 4:30 hrs
View attachment 121291

DT-904 QI charge 950 XL - air cooled: 4:30 hrs
View attachment 121292

Thx for taking the time to test for us. I salute you good sir.

I picked up a cheap Insignia Qi charger from Best Buy, works great. Very little heat if at all. Fully charged in the morning. Have not done any detailed tests. My phone rarely goes dead at end of day, but hovers around 40%.

Also picked up a TYLT VU Qi charger for the car as well. Also from Best Buy. Came in today. Tested it for a few hours. Seems to charge faster than I was using it. It was constantly on using GPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon