950 XL < 1520 Battery Life - Confirmed

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Only if you assume battery life will drop much at all. Reading these forums is sometimes like reading the Brother's Grimm. Ever hear of Henny Penny? I think her descendants must be forum members.

Has anyone checked to see if the standard tests for talk and stand by time have changed between when the 1520 was released and now? Could be apples and oranges. And aren't the 1520 values as of its release date, meaning it may be MUCH worse now with 8.1 and 4K video and Hey Cortana, etc.. Has anyone confirmed a 1520 really does have 32 days of stand-by? People ate spinach for decades because the govt got a decimal point wrong regarding how much dietary iron they said it had.

Thats not reassuring, about the 1520. If the battery life WAS better in pre release cases and got worse.... See where Im going? Why would MS advertise less than expected life. Yes, with new OS updates and features, the battery life will get worse, always does minus some programming error that gets patched. Even if its a new battery that we are luckily able to replace.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thats not reassuring, about the 1520. If the battery life WAS better in pre release cases and got worse.... See where Im going? Why would MS advertise less than expected life. Yes, with new OS updates and features, the battery life will get worse, always does minus some programming error that gets patched. Even if its a new battery that we are luckily able to replace.
I don't think you are following. The method used to determine an advertised battery life may have changed in the last 2 years. The way they test car mileage today isn't the same as it was a few years back. I am pointing out that nobody seems to have checked on that. If it changed and the 1520 was retested the way the 950XL was, it might have much worse values. And, as I pointed out, erroneous data happens. The US govt erroneously published that spinach had mega amounts of iron but it was a decimal place error. Wasn't corrected for many many years although I'm sure professional nutritionists had a good laugh among themselves. So the figures are interesting but nothing to get freaked out about until we know real world results and/or verify none of the possible explanations I mentioned are in play. And yes, calling unverified published numbers a fatal head wound meets my definition of freaking out. Particularly when the biggest variance is stand by time. So for the sake of argument, lets pretend the stand by values are apples to apples and no mistakes. The XL stand by time is 12 days. Tell me what fraction of ONE percent of 950XL owners will ever use the phone so little they go 12 days between charging. And for all we know, someone at MS tells a tech we need to submit these numbers NOW. how long is stand by time? I dunno, Its been 12 days since I started the test.

I'm not saying any of that happened but its NUTS to freak out until we know they didn't (because things like that have happened plenty of times in history) or until we have real world hands on data.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
With wireless charging there is no battery problem. I have Qi chargers everywhere I go (thank you AT&T clearance sales). If you need to go a while without access to a charger (airplane, bus, etc.) you can simply bring a backup battery. I would gladly trade off a little battery life for a superior phone experience.

Greg Gorby

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully someone comes up a oversized battery back cover. That's what I use on all my phones anyhow.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully someone comes up a oversized battery back cover. That's what I use on all my phones anyhow.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Reminds me of the HTC trophy with the giant extended battery I rocked with it. Was a full freaking inch thick and lasted 3 days moderate use per charge. Went 12 hours straight playing PvZ from Charlotte NC to Chicago, IL on a road trip with charge to spare!

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I'll take it anyway. And it might well be improved as Win 10 mobile gets its kinks worked out.
640XL has less pixels and cores but you get a gigantic battery life. If that is #1 on the goals give it a thought.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
The method used to determine an advertised battery life may have changed in the last 2 years.

Usually I do not care too much about these numbers either. It is, as you said, just advertisement. It's a bit disadvantageous when comparing the new device and its predecessor here, so I would also like to see what the numbers for the 1520 would look like if it was released today with all the features added in the meantime, given that they would be from real measurements. It is difficult to correct the old plain numbers and they must not lie on the new ones.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I'll take it anyway. And it might well be improved as Win 10 mobile gets its kinks worked out.
640XL has less pixels and cores but you get a gigantic battery life. If that is #1 on the goals give it a thought.

Agreed the battery life on the 640XL is awesome.. But as you said the lower pixel density must belp but hoping they'll squeeze more out of the 950XL with time and tweaking.. Any idea if the processor in the 950XL is efficient or known to be a hog??

keithhackneysmullet

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately. This discussion is moot until some has a 950 xl in hand and can perform a standardized battery test on it and compare the results to a 1520 . I prefer GSMarena's battery test and I believe the 1520 scored a 106h rating that is one one of the highest scores ever recorded so I would be surprised if the 950xl could beat that score

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
How much of this is an actual concern? If the Gold Standard is the iPhone 6S/6S Plus and the Standby times on those are 10 days and 16 days respectively, how critical is this from a real-world or even PR standpoint? The Galaxy S6 Edge has a Standby of 14 days. All of these seem to be in the same sweet spot irrespective of how the measure up against older phones. According to PhoneArena, the average for these types of battery sizes is 17 days (and with more pixels, I'd imagine you'd see less life). And we're talking about Standby <Alan Iverson /> - is that really the most critical measure? Would think music playback, video playback, browser surfing measures (and talk time) would be more critical values.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Very true and we all have our own yardstick for measurement, how long does it last thru a day of "our" normal use.. The Note 4 for me barely if it did make it where the 640XL makes it easily with room to spare.. I'm expecting the 950XL will be somewhere in the middle..... I hope ;)

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
You guys are forgetting the 950xl has a removable battery. Just carry a spare battery in your wallet and all is good. I used to do this with my Samsung Ativ S and slip a spare battery in my wallet. I love the fact I can switch from low battery to 100% charge in less than a minute. None of this carrying bulky battery cases or plugging phone in to wall as seen with iPhone users ☺

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that's a really nice bonus! Also did this with my HTC TITAN which had a very handy "eject unit" button. ;) Was more complicated with the 820 and impossible of course (but unnecessary) with the 1520. Let's see how the back of the 950 XL peels off...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Let's see how the back of the 950 XL peels off...
Much easier than a 520 or 640. The 950XL backs are fairly flexible like those models but you don't have to twist the cover severely on the 950s to pull it off. There is a notch where the USB port is that's big enough for a fingertip to just pull the bottom straight back a little and the cover just pops off. This is also why you can get covers with leather backs and metallic looking sides. The leather would come unglued and the metallic coating would crack if the back got flexed like they do on previous Lumias.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
All smart phones have a bad battery life. The thing is optimization, setting the screen. Do Not put your screen on auto brightness. Also, the applications using background data eat up a TON of battery. If not using wifi and Bluetooth turn it off.

My phone used to last 6 to 8 hour depending on the use, after insuring I followed these steps I get about 14 hours on average of battery life. I work in an office so I'm ALWAYS on my phone.

I guess you've never used a 1520? It has amazing battery life.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess you've never used a 1520? It has amazing battery life.
Yeah. I get 3 or 4 days with my 1520 and even then just charge because I don't like being down in the 20-30 percent range.

I don't expect the 950XL to be much worse. The published figures are apples and oranges. The 1520 figures are for WP8[.0]. The 950s are for WM10 which DID not even exist when the measurements were made. Not to mention the testing methods could have changed drastically between 2 years ago and now. We won't know how they compare until we have them in our hands. So all the Henny Pennys should take a chill pill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb