No Tap-To-Pay?

Michael_JL

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Haven't seen whether or not 920/920XL or other Win10 Phones will finally have a workable tap-to-pay like the iPhone and android. I know the OS has supported it since 8 but will the feature be usable? If not a deal killer.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Can't really use Android Pay that frequently yet on my second line so I am not too bummed that MSFT does not have a payment solution via NFC yet.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
i think we all expected MS to address this yesterday at the event but got nothing. there has been nothing but rumors of backroom conversations at IFA, Mobile World Congress etc. of them having a solution in the works. the issue has never been the hardware or software, but rather the contracts involved (like the ISIS/Softcard carrier nonsense the US). I'm guessing we'll hear more when Windows Mobile 10 is released.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
nfc with tap to pay IS mentioned in the specs....but who knows. HCE (host card emulation) is supported, so it should be 100% possible, but I'm guessing microsoft will say something before the 950's launch

wiederman

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been saying this for a while... with paypal an independent company I don't understand why they don't institute an alliance

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
i think we all expected MS to address this yesterday at the event but got nothing.

Yesterday was a pure hardware event. They only mentioned software at all in conjunction with showing hardware (Continuum, pen, etc). The fact they didn't mention paying at all doesn't really mean anything.

I agree that when Windows 10 Mobile is officially released we should hear more.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley wrote this a few days ago on ZDnet,
"I haven't heard whether Microsoft's alternative to Apple Pay, codenamed "OnePay," will make it into Threshold 2 or not. Earlier this year, the goal was to debut that technology this fall, but given it has yet to appear in any new Insider test builds, I'm doubtful."

SharkyNY

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I hope it comes soon. I don't use Android Pay all that much, but its nice to have for whenever I forget my wallet.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope Microsoft has a convenient pay system just to be competitive but I know I won't use it. I used Apple Pay a few times but I find it easier just to swipe a credit card from a wallet case. There are too many places, like restaurants, where I just want to use a card.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think you will be able to add your credit cards and debit cards to windows 10 pretty soon and use that for nfc payments, as we all know windows 10 supports the protocols needed for visa , mastercard and such.

Lloyd Kuhnle

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
It is a deal killer. All along, it's been said the Windows mobile 10 would have a tap to pay app. I spent hours upgrading my Lumia 1520 to windows 10. Wallet is useless, and there is no app for tap to pay, although it's on by default, in settings. I am so sick of waiting for Microsoft to catch up!

Bleak Morn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The ISIS/Softcard stuff was frustrating. I used it wherever I could - then Google bought it and... NO SOUP FOR YOU! Just makes me hate Google more than I already did (tough task).

Of course the Softcard solution kind of sucked too. My wife and I shared a card with one of the compatible card providers and I activated my copy. Then I tried to activate my wife's card on her phone. I spoke with the Bank's support and they only allowed one person to have one card - no support for married couples.

So while I was irritated when Google tried to require me to run their OS to access their apps, this does clear the way for a better solution - which is sorely needed in this space.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
For what it's worth, it wasn't really Google's fault. Softcard was going under, and so they wanted to sell off their assets.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well you do see it sitting there all ready to go under NFC in W10M. Of course you can't actually enter a card number in the field yet. But it must imply that it is coming. They have reserved a space for it in the UI.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The ISIS/Softcard stuff was frustrating. I used it wherever I could - then Google bought it and... NO SOUP FOR YOU! Just makes me hate Google more than I already did (tough task).

I hear ya.., SAME HERE.

Selling a feature like this with out a providers is like buying a car with no motor in it. It's a nice car, everyone knows it by name, you can get in it and use the features but, it just wont go anywhere because you have no motor :-\

Not sure how they can say it has Tap-TO-PAY because there is NO providers that work on Windows Phone right now... No matter how much work Microsoft put into it, it does not matter if there is no way to use it....

Sure, it was partly Google's fault that Softcard went away but, right now, after all this time, it's 100% Microsoft's fault, they should of gotten some providers IN PLACE before Windows 10 phone's release... (aka 950/950XL)

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
the whole isis/softcard debacle is partially google's fault (for buying them) as well as AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile for trying to control how contactless tranactions worked in the US (Softcard was a joint venture). For the longest, Google Wallet wasn't even allowed on Verizon phones. For the 3 months that softcard was available on windows devices, it was GLORIOUS!

Now, we just need a banking app or service in place for Windows phones, as apple has made their own, and android seems to have a choice between google, samsung, and others on the way (some are device dependent).

The ability has been there for years, now someone needs to take advantage of it....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon