Lumia 925 in BLUE

authorandrew

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
No, this isn't a rare factory prototype. Just a plain old DIY mod. But I have to say, it looks pretty fantastic. I followed Lloyd Yoon's excellent video (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=158&v=_x8eaKyutWA). His is about replicating the dualshot effect, but since the 925 only comes in white/black, I went with the same paint for a different effect. I'm pretty pleased with it, overall! Now, with the original shell that I pulled off the 925, I'm going to go with a metallic undercoat and the transparent blue top coat -- should look really good with the aluminum edges. Also going to shoot for a darker blue coat if possible. But in the meantime, here's some sexy shots of a blue 925 that will never be. Enjoy!

Imgur album: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

authorandrew

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Not a hard job to do at all. And only a couple bucks for the paint. Here's a WIP pic of the metallic blue one (I like the plain silver so much I'd almost keep it, but with the aluminum edging it doesn't look quite right)

WP_20151007_18_09_10_Pro.jpg

Also, where the heck did you get that raspabalsa quote? Haven't seen raspy since the brighthand PalmOS days...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, where the heck did you get that raspabalsa quote? Haven't seen raspy since the brighthand PalmOS days...

I grew up with Palm OS and lurked quite a bit on 1src and Brighthand.

I was a huge Starcraft fan so his avatar stuck out, and that quote just stuck with me.

Assuming my memory served me right, he helped me with a charging issue in a Tungsten T2 many years ago, but the T2's condition was terminal though.

On-topic: I'm inclined to think custom colored backs could take off on a small scale.

authorandrew

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I could definitely see it taking off if someone did it pro. The video I linked to is very well done -- but the guy's an automotive hobbyist, so he's got all the finishes and such. I had a lot less to work with, but for myself I'm happy.

(That's neat! I'm a 1src and Brighthand alum myself).

authorandrew

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It turned out decently well, but I wanted to take another pass at it. Using the original 925 back cover that I still had, I tried again with a silver undercoat and more careful preparations, including a more even application of the paint. It turned out great, and I'm currently waiting for more sandpaper from Amazon to really do the rubbing/polishing stages excellently as well. Looks phenomenal, though.

DSC03681.JPG
DSC03682.JPG
DSC03683.JPG
DSC03684.JPG

Hard to see from the photos, but the paint is so much more even. It's also darker and holds that metallic tinge that really looks awesome next to the aluminum of the 925.

authorandrew

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so after many trials and errors and emailing back and forth with Lloyd, who made the above video, I've run out of blue spray paint and am with my final case. With the silver undercoat, this really shows as automotive paint -- it simply glimmers and catches the light, looks great against the silver trim. Unfortunately, I sanded over-aggressively on this cover, so the camera doesn't sit right, and on my backup cover, which I sanded properly, there are a few dew drops so there are some bubbles in the paint. Really bummed, because it feels like I didn't quite get either case straight to 100%. But that's life.

As you can see in the pics, it REALLY catches the light well. Looks very striking, and perfect timing for my royals to go to the ALCS. In the last pic you can see how the camera doesn't sit properly because part of the rim that holds it in got sanded away. Oops....

The phone also is significantly darker than these pics would suggest.
DSC03695.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel