Are you planning to get a 950?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Getting really bored with waiting now. I just don't understand Microsoft's inability to confirm a release date for the phone.
They are able. They could have done like everyone else and pick the first date they would certainly be ready. What they are doing is waiting in the hopes that an earlier date becomes possible. In other words they would rather let people be upset about not knowing the date in exchange for getting the phones out a week or more earlier. A week some times of the year is worth a lot more than a week other times.

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I was 100% planning to upgrade from my 928 to a 950 (assuming it would ever come to Verizon), but Microsoft's recent decisions and moves around OneDrive and Windows Phone have revealed to me that they plan to let WP go the way of BlackBerry, unfortunately. There's no way they could have made the decisions and changes they did if they truly cared about WP and had any plans whatsoever to make it a viable player in the phone market. Even as heavily invested in the MS ecosystem as I am, I plan to switch to Android and simply use MS apps to maintain my MS experience rather than keep beating what seems to be a dying WP horse. I lived through the demise of BlackBerry while I was an enthusiastic user of their products, and the general feeling, public perception and corporate support now swirling around WP is very very similar to what the BB scenario was when it began its dive into irrelevance.

Great points. I have a Blackberry currently (Z30) and I still have a Nokia 925 WP. BB has went Android (Priv). That phone is not an option for me because I do not like physical keyboards and I will not pay an extra $200.00 for a feature I will not use. The difference between Microsoft and Blackberry is that MS has Money. Perfect case in point. Look at what BB did with the Priv. They brought off the shelf parts from Samsung to keep cost down. the curve screen and some components, and not suprisingly suffers from some of the same issuse as the S6 Edge. (Poor battery, overheating) MS has the resources to innovate and put some power into there hardware. Liquid cooling, Iris scanner, 20 MP Rear 5MP Front Camera. Priv has 18 MP Rear/2MP Front and suffers in low light. MS may not waste time trying to gain market share because Apple and Android has everything on lock, BB had to bail because they do not have the resources to keep producing new hardware and supporting an OS that is 0.1 percent of the market. BB is trying to follow MS model by becoming a software company and derive the majority of profits from that. I believe that MS will produce a Surface phone to come into the MS Ecosystem. Surface tablets and laptops are selling like hotcakes...they want to lose the Lumia image and make a Surface phone that will resonate with current Surface tablets/computers owners. I believe MS will be around in the handset market for a while. The may just want to serve a niche market and enterprise market. So...I do not worry that MS will bail because of money, if they do it will because they do not want to play ball anymore in this game. Oh...I will grabbed that 950. It has everything I need, out spec the Priv accept in apps (which I do not need) and it cost less than the Priv. For me it's all good. If /when MS leaves the handset market then I move on.

Last edited:

glenada

Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I think I may upgrade this coming Friday, when it will be in US AT&T stores. I haven't used a Windows Phone since 2012---been using Android for a long time. I'm really impressed with Microsoft now, i.e., Windows 10. Now that the 950 will integrate with Windows 10, it seems like things are getting a lot better for Microsoft. Just a little nervous about the app store, though.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Well I was interested in getting an unlocked L950 but all I see is "Email me when available". I guess Microsoft is not interested in making money.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Well I was interested in getting an unlocked L950 but all I see is "Email me when available". I guess Microsoft is not interested in making money.

AT&T has exclusive rights to sell the 950 first. After that's over, MS can sell unlocked. This is the general consensus.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
well, if you are buying unlocked, the xl with free dock may be the better deal.

I prefer the smaller of the 2 phones, I have the 1520 and want something I can handle easier. You are right though, with the price difference and the price of the dock it's a better offer to get the XL, that's what's putting me off.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the 950 unlocked with no contract(I'm with TMobile)over the phone from the Microsoft Store 11-17. Got the right rep with the tool to get it done. Another note, as a Veteran I got 10% off the regular price of $549.00.
The phone has not shipped yet, but order history says shipping by 11-25.

Last edited:

IFLYME

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a 930 and a 730 dual sim. Tried them both on t-mobile. No visual voice mail or WiFi calling support since they are not TMO branded phones. Does your 950 have it?

sealuva

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I do not see a reason to upgrade from my Icon. Besides Verizon not doing anything to get a new Flagship phone. With that said what is special about the 950 and 950XL. Nothing! No apps and nothing even resembling a real Flagship phone. There is nothing premium about this phone that others do not already have. What Microsoft needs to do is get serious with this bid to be a real contender in this mobile arena and look at the phones in the video link. Now those are phones I would buy in a heartbeat. So 950 or 950XL. Not worth it.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I do not see a reason to upgrade from my Icon. Besides Verizon not doing anything to get a new Flagship phone. With that said what is special about the 950 and 950XL. Nothing! No apps and nothing even resembling a real Flagship phone. There is nothing premium about this phone that others do not already have. What Microsoft needs to do is get serious with this bid to be a real contender in this mobile arena and look at the phones in the video link. Now those are phones I would buy in a heartbeat. So 950 or 950XL. Not worth it.

Keep telling yourself that. Whatever it takes to get thru the night. Might want to sprinkle some sugar on those sour grapes though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05