Verizon Lumia Icon as an Alternative for the Lumia 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello all,

I used to have a Lumia 928 in 2013 and really liked it, but I cracked the screen and ended up using a Galaxy 3 I had laying around. Regardless, I have been waiting for the new 950 before getting a new phone but of course I am a Verizon customer and it looks like they will not be carrying the 950. I would switch to AT&T but where I live, Verizon is best in terms of coverage.

Anyways, which Windows Lumia is best as an alternative to the new 950 for Verizon users? I've heard good things about the Icon - is the Icon still pretty relevant in terms of receiving updates, etc.?

thank you so much!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I used to have a Lumia 928 in 2013 and really liked it, but I cracked the screen and ended up using a Galaxy 3 I had laying around. Regardless, I have been waiting for the new 950 before getting a new phone but of course I am a Verizon customer and it looks like they will not be carrying the 950. I would switch to AT&T but where I live, Verizon is best in terms of coverage.

Anyways, which Windows Lumia is best as an alternative to the new 950 for Verizon users? I've heard good things about the Icon - is the Icon still pretty relevant in terms of receiving updates, etc.?

thank you so much!

From what I hear around the forums here, the Icon is a great phone. Lumia Denim, the latest update, has been rolled out to it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Icon at all. It just doesn't have Glance or expandable memory (someone please correct me if I am wrong). I have been seeing them around lately, it would be a good investment if you'll like a flagship.

The 735 is great for a midrange though.

jacob103

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You can get an ICON from the Microsoft Website for $249.99 off contract. I have one and I love it. I've had it for 7 months now. I bought mime preowned and I've dropped it so I was going to get a 950 if it came to Verizon but since Microsoft didn't learn their lesson I'm just going to buy another ICON.

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input - I'm leaning towards the Icon, I'm just worried about purchasing a phone that came out back in 2014. I know it wouldn't be the latest and greatest but I've read decent reviews. I like the specs better than the newer 735 at least.

mike208

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I am also with Verizon, and considering a switch to Windows Phone from android. I was considering the 950 as well, but as you said, if Verizon isn't going to get it...That brings up the question of the surface phone, will Verizon get that?

I just wanted to get this bumped up to see any more opinions. I really want to give windows phone a try, but it seems like Microsoft and Verizon don't want to make that easy.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Indeed, the Surface Phone does sound more appealing actually. But, like others have said, carrier availability is in question still. Some might be willing to gamble and wait for the surface phone. But personally I wouldn't mind the Icon as an interim phone until we either get the 950 or the Surface Phone.

Does anyone know if it's possible to activate a phone on Verizon without renewing my contract? As in can I literally just swap the SIM cards? Cause I don't want to be locked in for another 2 years, especially if I'm not getting any subsidized prices for the Icon.

mike208

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm actually not in a contract, I am on the edge program. I still have quite a way to go to pay off my current phone, but I am just plain bored with it and want something different. So i wonder if I can activate the new phone and just continue making payments on my current phone even if I am not using it. Sounds dumb I know, but I need a change

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm actually not in a contract, I am on the edge program. I still have quite a way to go to pay off my current phone, but I am just plain bored with it and want something different. So i wonder if I can activate the new phone and just continue making payments on my current phone even if I am not using it. Sounds dumb I know, but I need a change

From what I understand about the Edge program, after 6 or 12 months of paying off your phone (can't remember which time length), you'll have the option to trade it in and get another phone. Since I'm on a shared business plan, there is no Edge option for business customers and therefore, 2 year contracts are the only way to go. However, from what I understand about that, is that you only renew your contract when you get a brand new subsidized phone. I know that if during your 2 year contract, you need a different phone, you'll have to pay full price for a phone to switch. I don't know if the same thing would apply when you're off contract. Cause another 2 year contract at this point for a phone I paid full price for would be a total waste.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Icon is great I have one...will it be competition for the 950? no...would you be able to tell the difference in the real world? not sure.

Just keep in mind with the Icon your getting what you get....V$ has all but given up on this phone, I don't even think they have sold them for 6 months. We got Denim, what 4 months late and we barely got that. Dont expect any more 8.1 updates for it and definitely don't expect 10 for it ever. Not from Version at least.

That said it runs 8.1 great so if your good with that its a great phone.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can activate it without a new contract. The phone is great and the camera is really good but battery life is lackluster. Running Windows 10 it is even worse. This phone would be perfect if it could make it through a day on a charge.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can activate it without a new contract. The phone is great and the camera is really good but battery life is lackluster. Running Windows 10 it is even worse. This phone would be perfect if it could make it through a day on a charge.

You probeably have a faulty Icon, I have the EU Icon (aka 930) and battery life is great on 8.1 Denim (30hrs with normal usage like some calls some FB browsing some short youtube video a lot of whats app texting).

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I've read mixed reviews on the battery life. I think people who use it very heavily throughout the day seem to have issues, but for the most part I only use mine for some light web browsing, texting, Instagram and picture taking. I just ordered my Icon through the Microsoft website so we'll see how it holds up in terms of battery life!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, the Surface Phone does sound more appealing actually. But, like others have said, carrier availability is in question still. Some might be willing to gamble and wait for the surface phone. But personally I wouldn't mind the Icon as an interim phone until we either get the 950 or the Surface Phone.

Does anyone know if it's possible to activate a phone on Verizon without renewing my contract? As in can I literally just swap the SIM cards? Cause I don't want to be locked in for another 2 years, especially if I'm not getting any subsidized prices for the Icon.

Yes, you can buy another Verizon phone (EBay or wherever) and switch out your SIM card and activate the new phone using Verizon's automated system. I have done it. We also had our bill reduced by calling in after our contract was over. The term "subsidy" is marketing "speak" by the carriers to make it sound like they are generously freely giving you a gift by subsidizing you. It isn't actually charity, it is a loan that you have to repay. Once you have it paid off, the monthly payment can be reduced to just pay for the services.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lumia Icon

I own 2 of them and a friend owns one as well, so I am pretty well versed on this phone.

PROS:
Good screen; not the best I've seen as grey seems to be purplish and mediocre black level, but a colorful OLED nonetheless
Fast and responsive
Decent speaker, though I've definitely heard better ones
Very good camera
EXTREMELY SOLID - Among the 3 phones listed they have been: dropped face down on tile 3 times, accidentally thrown at a wood floor, dropped off a table a number of times, and submerged in water 3 times. They keep on ticking, very solid build quality.
Qi Wireless Charging
32GB storage
"Hey Cortana" support

CONS:
Battery life is poor, phone generally does not make it through the day unless usage is minimal; might not even make it through half the day if you are heavily using
Phone gets very hot when playing a game or using intensively, even without a case (I don't use cases)
Uncomfortable - the metal band kind of digs into your hand when you hold it, can just about one-hand it but not great ergonomics
Inconsistent quality - I had to go through three phones to get one that was not a problem. First one had screen lifting and major color issues, 2nd one was randomly turning off and giving weird error messages, third one is mostly okay although the vibra seems to be off (haptic feedback on capacitive buttons is crazy).
2 out of the 3 phones I have are losing text messages, don't know if this is a WP8.1 quirk or the Icon
No glance
No SD card slot

SUMMARY:
-You may need to go through a couple of replacements to find an acceptable one
-But, once I got a working one it is the most durable phone I've ever used
-Still, the battery life is terrible and the phone overheats under load (all of them do, as I have three and they are all the same under load)
-It really just doesn't feel that nice in the hand IMO
-Is it better than the 928? It is faster/more responsive and more durable with nicer screen, but on the other hand it is less comfortable to hold and has worse battery life
-Is it a substitute for the 950? No way. The 950 seems much better and appears to correct a lot of the Icon's flaws.
-But if you have no choice but Verizon, then you have to play by Verizon's rules. Which means Icon or nothing.

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your Reply - You make some valid points and make me a bit worried to be honest about the Icon.

I ended up ordering one from the Microsoft store when they were available a few weeks ago, However, apparently the phone is on Back Order - which is frustrating because that wasn't made obvious when I went to purchase the phone. Regardless, I spoke to their customer support several times and they have "no idea" when the phone will be actually sent to me. So now i'm wondering if I should just cancel my order (especially since you said you had to go through several to get one that worked properly).

Maybe I should just go with the mid-range 735?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your Reply - You make some valid points and make me a bit worried to be honest about the Icon.

I ended up ordering one from the Microsoft store when they were available a few weeks ago, However, apparently the phone is on Back Order - which is frustrating because that wasn't made obvious when I went to purchase the phone. Regardless, I spoke to their customer support several times and they have "no idea" when the phone will be actually sent to me. So now i'm wondering if I should just cancel my order (especially since you said you had to go through several to get one that worked properly).

Maybe I should just go with the mid-range 735?

You can find used Icons, I believe there's even one for sale in the marketplace here, but if you'll rather not, go with the midrange.
Actually there are 2 right now, not just one! Up to you though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro