Lumia 950 not on Microsoftstore.com anymore

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The 950 was never made available on the Microsoft Store US web site. I posted on both the Microsoft Lumia US & Microsoft Store Facebook's asking when unlocked versions of the 950 would be available, and I really didn't get much.

Microsoft Lumia US's reply...

Microsoft Store reply...
On MSstore chat I was told paraphrasing "Some companies get rights to sale for certain periods, right now we do not have that permission".

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
On MSstore chat I was told paraphrasing "Some companies get rights to sale for certain periods, right now we do not have that permission".

Yeah its' clear that AT&T required Microsoft not to sell the device directly for at least some unknown period of time in an attempt to pull customers from other carriers (ie. T-Mobile). Funny thing is, Microsoft would be much better off selling direct from the Microsoft Store and offering financing and full price purchasing --- but I'm sure AT&T paid a hefty chunk of change up front to Microsoft to persuade them to hand over exclusive rights to the Lumia 950. Good financially for Microsoft, ***** move for AT&T.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Damn, I actually have AT&T but didn't want to have to go through them to get the phone. Also don't really want to wait....

I agree with you 100%. Even if you have AT&T, you should buy unlocked so you don't have to deal with firmware updates and OS updates being delayed by the carrier, or never released at all.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you 100%. Even if you have AT&T, you should buy unlocked so you don't have to deal with firmware updates and OS updates being delayed by the carrier, or never released at all.

It would be nice if Dan or someone from site would respond with what they are hearing on if unlocked 950 will be released at launch.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Not having a carrier unlocked 950 version at a Microsoft store is bad but not horrible. There are 3 major disadvantages of a carrier locked phone (no, a logo isn't one of them): (1) relying on the carrier to release OS/firmware updates, (2) downgraded components (less memory, no Qi, etc), (3) needing to switch carriers to use it.

The insider program goes a long way for mitigating the first.

The second varies by phone but I'm guessing the AT&T 950 won't be crippled and may even have an additional wireless charging method.

In the case of AT&T, the 3rd doesn't exist any more although I guess they may close the loophole. I purchased a 640 to use as a gift for someone using another carrier and AT&T issued me an unlock code without me even opening the box. I just had to give them the IMEI that was on the box label. AT&T will give unlock codes for any of their phones at any time if asked by someone who is NOT an AT&T customer (I'm not) as long as the phone isn't being used on AT&T.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone from MS explain why 950 is not available on their site for pre-order? Also at the MS Store the 950 XL demo units were not there!

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone from MS explain why 950 is not available on their site for pre-order? Also at the MS Store the 950 XL demo units were not there!

As far as 950xl, there was an article saying just temp..maybe updating software etc???

For 950, if you mean unlocked, I would assume it means ATT has exclusive and even MS can't sale unlocked at launch...just a guess

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6