Could the 640 be better than 640 XL?

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I mean, could the 640 XL have a somewhat weird feel because of its very big screen size?
Or is it actually cool?
Would someone prefer to buy a 640 instead?
I just saw a 640 for a very low price. And a 640XL for the same price plus ~30 bucks.
Should I stick to 640 or to XL?

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I came from a Lumia 920 and a 620 (both of these are baby screens when compared to the 640XL), and faced absolutely no problems adjusting with the 5.7" screen.

Part of this comes from the fact that the design is beautiful and the phone is a joy to hold. Rest, it was because I have hands big enough to hold it such.

Finally, it comes down to you. If you wish for a phone that has a smaller screen, go for the 640. If you want a better camera and a big screen, go for the 640XL.

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Along with the difference in screen size, the Lumia 640 XL has a better camera by way of a higher resolution (which gives you more cropping ability) and Zeiss optics. What it will come down to is what's more important to you. Screen size? Photo quality? Like all things, you will get used to the size of the XL if you choose it.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have both handsets and I have to say the XL is easy to adjust to. It also has a better screen (despite the lower pixel density). But key for me is how it feels in the hand. It just feels incredibly solid. More so than the 640. I have 4 back shells for each and everyone on the smaller handset creaks to some degree. On the XL none of them do, it just feels solid. I also prefer the matte finish backs. Finally, boh cameras are better so if I had to choose one to keep it would be the big boy. If you have the extra 30 bucks, do yourself a favor and get the big one. You won't regret it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't deal with size so the 640 would be the go-to model for me. The size of the 640/830/920 are about the maximum I can take.

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Bought the 640XL Cyano. Danm great and beautiful phone! Specially for the price, I'm sure it was the best choice i could make.

Loving this phone. Thanks, people!

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
people here also FORGET to mention that XL has a much better battery LIFE !!!!!!! every single review around the world has mentioned that !!! that alone is worth 30$ !

Angelrocking

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I got used to the size of 640xl very fast. It feels kinda weird in many sites, as the fonts seem too big for it's screen. Camera's better on xl so is it's black color. I believe though that everything would seem more clear on 640 due to its picture density. I didn't regret getting the big one. Oh and you should know, there's no coming back after getting used to a big screen...lol.

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I got used to the size of 640xl very fast. It feels kinda weird in many sites, as the fonts seem too big for it's screen. Camera's better on xl so is it's black color. I believe though that everything would seem more clear on 640 due to its picture density. I didn't regret getting the big one. Oh and you should know, there's no coming back after getting used to a big screen...lol.

Oh yes, noticed that one detail. Got used to the big screen, and now my old Lumia 630 looks sooo tiny.
Damn great phone, the 640xl.
As nenito2k mentioned, its battery is a beast.
Worth every penny.

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Wow, this is a tough one. Comes down to personal choice. What you enjoy another will find annoying.
Size wise.............I still own the Sony Xperia Z Ultra. NOTHING can compare to that for size, I think its not even a phablet but tablet! :grin:

The question of screen size is always going to be a hot potato. I don't find the 640XL big, I find the 640 small? The positive of the Sony mentioned is its beautiful large screen, its biggest negative its the size of that beautiful large screen! Its just not pocket friendly. I find the 640xl as big as I care to go. Decent size screen while being pocket friendly. I also own the samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ and that is also a large mobile but again pocketable.
What I suggest is look at the ratio of screen size to body and ensure the maximum possible screen size is packed into the smallest possible body like the SG S6Edge+, vis: Sony ZUltra 68.3%. SG S6Edge+ 75.6% and the 640XL 69.1% screen to body ratio. The higher the ratio the better as this signifies more screen real estate in a smaller body.

It really is choice. If you have the opportunity to get to a phone shop with a large display that you can handle and do side by side comparisons this will so often make your mind up for you. One more thing, its not only the size that counts but how the mobile sits in the hand, comfort is key to the user experience. I could NOT use my SG S6Edge+ without a cover as the sides are so thin they are most uncomfortable to hold. I would 'think' you would find the 640XL a delight to hold? Again it realy is your choice that counts.

Very best wishes, Ryland

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I got my xl first and when I went to tmobile briefly I got the 640. Both are awesome phones and the pixel density is better on the 640 but I strongly prefer the xl. I got rid of my 640 ans am back on my convict orange Lumia 640 xl. I just wish it was faster.

Last edited:

ryland Johnson

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
"Faster". Though it is not as fast as the flag ship mobiles like the S6 and 6s, the 640xl does fly. Ignore antutu and other scores and judge the performance on real daily use. I own those Uber mobiles and for the cost the 640xl is a rather cool phone and much faster than an Android of comparable price. Both Windows OS also IOS appear less hungry for those mega powerful specified phones?
Bang for buck the 640xl is value for money and performs as well as any other phone at this cost and an awful lot faster than some.
I am still enjoying the task of learning how to use the Windows OS having been Android and IOS for many years even though my first smart phones where Windows based HTC's way back. I paid 1,000$ maybe 8 years ago (?) for a flagship HTC and it cant compare with todays offerings in terms of specification.
My first mobile phone I purchased in 1989. It weighed more than a kilo and was built like a brick outhouse. Massive NEC thing, The battery alone was the size of a UK house brick, sorry I digress.

Keep well,

Ryland

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes